Risky Oak (bad tree)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that thing was a tad bigger than i gave it credit for. good job treemd!

hows that saddle treating ya? i couldnt help but notice it looked like you hit the recline button on the lazyboy in a couple pics!!

thanks for sharing and good job on the tree.

that thing was a tad bigger than i gave it credit for. good job treemd!

hows that saddle treating ya? i couldnt help but notice it looked like you hit the recline button on the lazyboy in a couple pics!!

thanks for sharing and good job on the tree.

LOL, I had them pics took just for you OD. I was gonna post them in my saddle thread and tell you how much I love that thing. Awesome saddle! Most comfortable I have ever worked in. Thanks for turning me on to that.

Thanks for the high five guys. Most of the stuff I do these days is just like going through the motions. Not trying to say that I am complacent or that I don't still enjoy it but most of it is pretty mundane (I've been at it awhile). This one would have been no big deal had it not been for the cavity. It's fun to do one that makes you pucker every now and then. Reminds me why I got into it and makes me feel alive.

which saddle is it?

LOL, I had them pics took just for you OD. I was gonna post them in my saddle thread and tell you how much I love that thing. Awesome saddle! Most comfortable I have ever worked in. Thanks for turning me on to that.

Thanks for the high five guys. Most of the stuff I do these days is just like going through the motions. Not trying to say that I am complacent or that I don't still enjoy it but most of it is pretty mundane (I've been at it awhile). This one would have been no big deal had it not been for the cavity. It's fun to do one that makes you pucker every now and then. Reminds me why I got into it and makes me feel alive.

i'm in the market for a new one.i ordered a Butterfly 2 yesterday but i can always change my mind or start a collection like OD.no one stocks anything around here.especially not in my size.

Pucker never done that lol I just kiss em like I am:cheers: Good job I never figuerd you as a peltor man just go to show many would not believe me to wear a cowboy hard hat either lol.

No my Groundman is not wearing a hardhat. I have advised him to do so and there is one on the job for him but I don't repeat myself. He is about 12 years older than me and has survived 2 trips to Iraq and one to Afghanistan, is a retired Platoon Sargent (Army Airborne), a widower single dad and I figure if he has survived all of that he can decide on his own when to put his hardhat on.

I do need a port-a-wrap but to tell the truth, I would need to work on the ground and learn how to use it and be able to teach my guys how to use it. As I am always the one in the tree it is difficult to be able to show guys what to do on the ground. Besides, I wouldn't want to be learning how to use a porty on this job. I'll stick with what I know.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Edit

Oh yeah, and my groundman was picking his nose. Had to get a shot of that! :D

Last edited:
i'm in the market for a new one.i ordered a Butterfly 2 yesterday but i can always change my mind or start a collection like OD.no one stocks anything around here.especially not in my size.

Missed your question at first Fishercat. It is a Petzl Mini Boss. They no longer make them anymore but you can still buy them on clearance at Wespur for a good price and a couple other places still have them. That saddle rocks. Nicest, most comfortable I have climbed in. Oldirty told me about it. You can read about it here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=99300

Last edited:
Good size tree. Nice work, man. Quick question. Why did you lower those pieces so large? I thick I'd have taken them smaller to ease the pucker factor. But that's me, I'm sure you had a good reason. Just curious.

Good job, nicely done.

Get yourself a port-a-wrap and start practicing on the easier jobs and you'll appreciate it on the big ones. More control and less wear on your ropes.

Good size tree. Nice work, man. Quick question. Why did you lower those pieces so large? I thick I'd have taken them smaller to ease the pucker factor. But that's me, I'm sure you had a good reason. Just curious.

let er run man and dont touch the brakes till she about on the ground. they arent paying to have holes punched in the lawn. lol.

seriously though, if there are no obstacles underneath ya the tree and the climber shouldnt feel a thing. mr no hardhat must have a good relationship with that rope. i like it.

they arent paying to have holes punched in the lawn. lol.

That's what stump mulch is for, lol. I rope huge wood all the time and love it. That's my glory, right there. I just try to avoid doing it in rotten trees, that's all.

I tip tied almost everything out of this tree. All the biggest stuff anyway. After I had gotten most of the weight out of the tree and saw how stable it was I felt confident in lowering the big pieces, They were tip tied and allowed to run so there wasn't much shock involved. The bigger pieces weren't where the pucker factor came in. It was the first heavy limbs that I lowered that made me pucker (especially the first one). I had sounded out the tree as well as braced it but you never really know until you pump your nuts up to make that first cut. After the first couple of big ones I felt very confident.

A porty is on the list of things to get. It's not like I haven't worked with them before, I worked with a guy last year with a porty and a GRCS so I pretty much know how to work one. It's just taking the time to teach my groundies how to use one.

My rope hand is very intuitive with the ropes, knows about dynamic forces and knows not to shock anything if at all possible. He spent a career jumping out of airplanes and rapping out of helicopters so he is very knowledgeable of ropes and knots. He is an excellent rope man and I can trust him with my life.

They do always seem bigger the day of doing the job.
I keep that in mind when I bid'em and remind the customer of this.

Ya did good Bro-Bro. Told ya you'd be fine.
beer1-main_Full.jpg

Last edited:
I could help you out, Ray. Haven't had my kit out in at least 2 years but I bet my chops are still there. Sling your boy and set over to upstate, NY and I'll show you a thing or two.
Funny you should mention Up State New York. A friend of a good (musician) friend from Up State New York was down here a couple weeks ago.

He is a drummer and a damn good one at that and very cool dude.
He was only in town for 4 days but wanted to go look at drum sets while he was here.
He said the prices were so much better than back home, he bought two complete sets.
Had one set sent back home, stayed for four days drinkin' and playin', leaving the one set here, at my other musician buddies place.

With my buddy Mikey Gone Bad having a set now and me having a set, I'm gonna get this!
garfieldhangover.jpg

Last edited:
No my Groundman is not wearing a hardhat. I have advised him to do so and there is one on the job for him but I don't repeat myself. He is about 12 years older than me and has survived 2 trips to Iraq and one to Afghanistan, is a retired Platoon Sargent (Army Airborne), a widower single dad and I figure if he has survived all of that he can decide on his own when to put his hardhat on.

I do need a port-a-wrap but to tell the truth, I would need to work on the ground and learn how to use it and be able to teach my guys how to use it. As I am always the one in the tree it is difficult to be able to show guys what to do on the ground. Besides, I wouldn't want to be learning how to use a porty on this job. I'll stick with what I know.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Edit

Oh yeah, and my groundman was picking his nose. Had to get a shot of that! :D

Nice job,and :agree2:with you on the portawrap,looks like it could be usefull,but not indespensible.I would like to try using somebody elses sometime.LOL.Of coarse, Im just an old tree climber,kind of set in my ways.

Latest posts

Back