Rivers Great PNW Chainsaw adventure!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speakin of in a row,,,, here is a common sight you will find if you spend any time in the woods in the PNW,,,they are called Nurselogs here is a pic of one of many that I photo'ed,,,, this is just one example for the case for Long bars and fullwrap handles here,,,, This particular photo is of an old growth stump (green bush growing in it) at the rear of the photo that was either harvested in the late 1890's
or just after the turn of the last century if you look close you will notice the tree stumps from recent harvest on the right that are all in a row a bit,, have funny root systems that have runners,,, the reason is they were sprouted on the remains of the old top that was left laying from the old stump,,,, it was common in the old days that if the upper part of the tree had a defect of any kind the loggers would leave it laying and only actually took the bottom section, say 40 foot,,, and the old top was left and as it rots away after time new seedlings sprout in the decaying top,,,, The photo does not do it justice but if you look close you can see the gap between the stump and the off spring that was harvested later or next grotwh. this phenomenon does elevate the stumps of the remaing or offspring trees furthering the need of having a full wrap handle for felling and longer bars and skip chain,,,,,,
attachment.php

Here's the other side of those babys... Start with post 192...

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=42848&page=13

more pics coming

Stumps logged from 1895 era,,,

This bad boys DBH is over ten feet and were felled using cross cut saws,,, when I was driving through I just had to stop,,,,,
attachment.php

Amazing,,, and looking @ the other stumps its been replanted, thinned and harvested twice again

Here we go again!!!!!!! 044/046mod

more pics,,,,,Here is the 046 cylinder we modded @ Deans to put on the 12mm 044 project saw this is the finish on the base with the groove cut for using dirkoHT sealent in lieu of a base gasket, other things were done to boost compression so we thought it would be a good idea to o-ring groove it....
attachment.php

here is a comparison shot of a stock 046 exhaust flange vs the polished ported one we modded,,,
attachment.php

we built it with intending to run it in the stock appearing class but Dean busted the race chain putting the second set of heat runs on the new rings,,

on the first runs we had a 8 pin sprocket with a 36" bar I bought for my 066 with semi-skip (I know,,,, shoulda got full skip my bad) flat chisel chain on it,,,, we used some maple to try it out and 15.2K out of the cut and right @ 12K with most of the bar buried it ran very well,,,,

Did you elongate the mount holes on the cylinder or just make them bigger?

elongated just slightly,,, also had to match the sides of the cyl base to the width of the 44 cyl and a minute bit of metal removal on the outside of the cylinder @ the flywheel interface...
Andy on yours did you just use a 460 top air shroud????

nope..mine's "currently" an 044 under the 044 top cover.. I don't believe an 046 top shroud will fit (two wide)

Last edited:
we got the 044 cover to fit,,,,

nope..mine's "currently" an 044 under the 044 top cover.. I don't believe an 046 top shroud will fit (two wide)

just had to trim the front air dam a bit to get it to go on and trim the front of the decomp hole out so the button would clear,,,, :bang: :bang: :bang:

Last edited:
River and Lake,,,, Hmmm gotta ring to it????? putting the bar on the 066,,, thats 028supers saw on the stool we had just put it back together,,, we had fun!!!
attachment.php

Lakeside showing River the finer points of Highspeed Photography @ Andy's place notice the condition of the trailer,,,,
attachment.php

Eagle perched on a river bank tree,,,,no I cannot,,, and will not,,, try to pronounce the name of tha river !!!!!!!
attachment.php

Last edited:
River and Lake,,,, Hmmm gotta ring to it????? putting the bar on the 066,,, thats 028supers saw on the stool we had just put it back together,,, we had fun!!!
attachment.php

Lakeside showing River the finer points of Highspeed Photography @ Andy's place notice the condition of the trailer,,,,
attachment.php

Eagle perched on a river bank tree,,,,no I cannot,,, and will not,,, try to pronounce the name of tha river !!!!!!!
attachment.php

Watch out for the meat cleavers above your head. Kinda looks like thr TX chainsaw massacre dudes shop :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back