Rivet Spinner & Chain Breaker Brands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, I have an old oregan/ Herr breaker and spinner, cant source replacement punches here, and if I can find them from the US, its over $50 au to get it posted, unreal.
if anyone has any spare, or can get one and post for 10, a padded envelope would not be much, im happy to pay you.
pt # 26870

and if there are any 13mm long spinner anvils for 3/8 /325, im after those as well.

Thanks chaps.
Would it be easier to find a retired Aussie machinist with a hobby lathe in his garage?

Would it be easier to find a retired Aussie machinist with a hobby lathe in his garage?
Starting to think it would.
the parts are around the 25, and available, but they want over 50 us for shipping, for a tiny little thing, glad ive got a granberg break n mend, it works surprisingly well, but is hard on your wrists compared to using the bench mounted units.

Starting to think it would.
the parts are around the 25, and available, but they want over 50 us for shipping, for a tiny little thing, glad ive got a granberg break n mend, it works surprisingly well, but is hard on your wrists compared to using the bench mounted units.

Grinder punch and hammer- ball pien hammer and you can break or join any chainsaw chain you want.

Grinder punch and hammer- ball pien hammer and you can break or join any chainsaw chain you want.
yeah was the first way I did them, I like how the spinner gives a smooth rounded finish.
and ive formed more than a few rivets whilst messing about with aircraft.

I have no problem recommending the Woodland Pro, Oregon, Tecomec, or Archer.

Buy a bunch of presets, and practice. More information, comments, and tips the other spinner/ breaker threads.

And please report back here what you find/ learn for others.

Philbert
I've taken to heart that Archer brand supplies (pre set/tie strap, tooling, ect.) is suitable stuff. Does a lying-down diamond marking on a chain denote Archer ?
On their eBay store they sell pre set kits, 20pc -sets- for about $12.
If -YOU- were to buy .325 pre set for (largely) Stihl chains, (I also have a Husqv., a couple SW(?), -and- a few Oregon), would you opt for their .050 , .058, -or- .063 pre set links kits ? The Stihl bars that I got along with the chains are marked 1.6mm, but I don't know if that means get .058 (for clearance ?) or ?? .

I believe that the Archer and Tecomec spinner / breaker sets are the same.

I would prefer to use STIHL OEM presets on STIHL chains. I would use Archer presets on Archer or TriLink chains (if they fit), but would prefer to use Oregon (if they fit).

Not worth it to create ‘the weakest link’.

Philbert

I've made a good acquaintance with the young man tasked with Stihl knowledge at the local hardware/Stihl dealer.
When I stopped there the other day to pick up a Picco Micro chain special order for my Dewalt battery powered he -gave- me some genuine Stihl pre sets for that .043 3/8LP(?) chain because the baggies were split open, and he had a hell of a time finding pricing info.
We'll see how generous he gets about other "broken package" pre set parts, since the store isn't real hep on providing him any chain-making tools (he says the "last guy" ,who did actual chain mending, took his tools when he left for greener pastures) .
Anyway, if things continue to work out, it seems like he might be amenable to selling me onesy-twosy's from at least the available stock, instead of insisting that I buy "master packs" for some atrocious Stihl rate which is what the "other" Stihl dealer close to me (Cutter) is expecting.

When I bought presets 'onsey-twosey' from my dealer's little drawers, they were over a buck apiece. When I ordered full bags of STIHL presets (8 to 10 - varied over the years), they were surprisingly affordable (maybe 60 cents a set? it's been a while, so I don't remember exactly). My dealer traditionally sells at MSRP, and we were both surprised at the price! I bought several bags, just in case things changed.

Philbert

Can anyone weigh in on the durability/performance differences between the less-expensive Woodland Pro set compared to the more-expensive Oregon Duramax or Tecomec sets of spinner/breaker.

There's minimal fresh info upon searching.

I bought the Woodland Pro set, many years ago, after seeing that that was what they actually used at Bailey’s for custom chain orders. It was also on sale at the time. Mine has held up well.

Since then, the Tecomec models (also sold under Oregon brand) have become more available and affordable. Best deal that I have seen recently is under the ‘Archer’ brand on eBay.

Both models are supported with parts, which is important. The Tecomec versions are probably more widely used and available.

The Oregon DuraMax line (also made by Tecomec) is more geared toward exceptionally heavy use, harvester chain, etc. I have a DuraMax spinner and breaker that I got a good deal on. But I use the others..

Philbert

Not to the durability question but. The chain vice likely should also be looked at. The adjustable vice like from Archer is superior to the block with 5 slots that comes with a breaker. Is the block with slots any different that comes with the various choices? I have the Oregon set but have no way of knowing if it is exactly what a new one is now. Two punch points one for the 0.043 gauge stuff and the other for the rest. Probably use the smaller one if you choose to reuse the pieces. Two anvils for the spinner one for .325 and down the other 3/8 and up at least to .404.

There is a hole in my breaker presumably to allow a longer rivet to be pressed out but it is problematic if the slot of the block is on the end as opposed in the middle.

Just the chain vice on a steel plate and the smallest nail set in a 3 pack is less stressful than the breaker for me.

yep, I have an old oregan/ Herr breaker and spinner, cant source replacement punches here, and if I can find them from the US, its over $50 au to get it posted, unreal.
if anyone has any spare, or can get one and post for 10, a padded envelope would not be much, im happy to pay you.
pt # 26870

and if there are any 13mm long spinner anvils for 3/8 /325, im after those as well.

Thanks chaps.
Have you checked Bailey's? Last I checked they sell replacement parts for the Ore models.
That said, their shipping rates have really gone up in the last couple years.

Oops, different model.
Ebay?
https://www.ebay.com/p/1156026849

Have you checked Bailey's? Last I checked they sell replacement parts for the Ore models.

Oops, different model.
Ebay?
Since posting this, I have discovered that the stihl punch and rivet pieces fit the punch, and the old oregon spinner.

Oops, different model.
Ebay?

That is the main reason I rarely buy from Baileys- they have decent prices on some of their stuff, but by the time shipping is factored in I can buy at a better price from most any of my local shops and support local folks too.

Ebay is usually a good place to find replacement parts for stuff like rivet spinners and chain breakers, just shop around.

I bought the Woodland Pro set, many years ago, after seeing that that was what they actually used at Bailey’s for custom chain orders. It was also on sale at the time. Mine has held up well.

Since then, the Tecomec models (also sold under Oregon brand) have become more available and affordable. Best deal that I have seen recently is under the ‘Archer’ brand on eBay.

Both models are supported with parts, which is important. The Tecomec versions are probably more widely used and available.

The Oregon DuraMax line (also made by Tecomec) is more geared toward exceptionally heavy use, harvester chain, etc. I have a DuraMax spinner and breaker that I got a good deal on. But I use the others..

Philbert

I just bought a Tecomec chain breaker and rivet spinner from a local shop for $121 out the door for the pair, I have only shortened a couple of chains so far, but they seem to be quality tools.

Latest posts

Back