Rivet Spinner & Chain Breaker Brands?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point. I never could get the thing to break a link, at least not without a lot of swearing. Now I don’t have the hand strength to even try that thing.

well, found it…still can’t make it work. Got one to pop by putting all my weight on it, pushing down on my low bench. But, couldn’t get the second one. Uncle…🤪

Did you turn the little knob that moves the little blocks and make sure the preset is between them and not resting on them?

Been a while. But, as I recall, you need to punch progressively: squeeze a little with the jaws set wide; tighten that screw on the end a little, then squeeze again; repeat.

There is at least one thread on it here on A.S.

Philbert
Well, I’ll be dipped…
that works, lol.

Not saying it can't be done but manufacturers always want you to use their presets containing their rivets when working on chains. Liability wise this is what the lawyers have instructed them to say.
There was a guy killed up in the Pacific Northwest about 15 years ago who took Carlton harvester chain and Oregon harvester chain and put them together to make a chain. It came apart at speed and went right thru the 1 inch Plexiglas or whatever protected the cab and killed him sure as a bullet. I don't know if the family got a settlement or not because he mixed the chains pieces.

Been a while. But, as I recall, you need to punch progressively: squeeze a little with the jaws set wide; tighten that screw on the end a little, then squeeze again; repeat.

There is at least one thread on it here on A.S.

Philbert
Hey all!
If anyone could give me any info about this Stihl IND ARG Rivet Spinner I’d greatly appreciate it.. I’ve googled and searched and can’t find but the first thing online about it

Attachments

• IMG_1115.png
    IMG_1115.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1114.png
    IMG_1114.png
    8.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1113.png
    IMG_1113.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Looks like a standard spinner. What do you need to know?
It didn’t look like any of the newer ones I’d seen online..when I googled it I figured I’d find out a bunch of info like when they were made,price,etc. but I couldn’t find nothing at all not even another pic.

I didn’t get any extra dies or handles with it unfortunately. If the two are made similar you would think they would interchange. Do you have any idea on what year yours was made?

I didn’t get any extra dies or handles with it unfortunately. If the two are made similar you would think they would interchange. Do you have any idea on what year yours was made?
No, unfortunately.
If you go on their website you can see what the dies and handles look like. Maybe I could measure mine for you. Be nice if they were the same.

Right now, if I was to buy one, I would probably buy this set: a good deal, and compatible with the Oregon models.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tecomec-Ch...301401?hash=item58e9d6f759:g:d0UAAOSww3tY7Vb7
Wow, the listing is still active from way back then. I'm getting closer to buying a breaker and spinner, maybe those would do!

For reference I would rather have quality than a low entry price, though STIHL's NG4 & NG5 seems a bit over-priced--the OEM must sell them for quite a bit less, who makes the NG4 & NG5? Are there shortcomings to them?
  • Basically I'm asking for 2024 suggestions for spinning:
    3/8" (standard) x 0.063" STIHL and
  • 0.040" x 0.063" STIHL and Carlton chipper
A nice thing about @Philbert's suggestions is parts are still available, so I'm completely open to buying that set.

I have the black colored set just like the red ones, they are worth the money in my opinion, have made so many loops and not a worn part yet, have had the set since 2005, parts if needed are still available.
s-l1600.png

Latest posts

Back