Roller Nose Bars!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

I second that Jacob, not dumb at all. I didn't know the answer either. Only cut with one or two roller nose in my day's. Dennis nice thread, something different.

very cool bar pics. Love those belly bars with the roller noses. I have done a bit of cutting with the roller noses, and they seem to throw the chain easier than a sprocket nose.

attachment.php
:D One on my S1050A, traded the other for a 28" roller, and still have the grey one.
attachment.php
That one is modded to fit Husky large mount. Was a Pioneer bar

Those roller nose bars for racing look very nice.

In the late sixties in Northern Michigan all the pro cutters were using hard nose bars as there was no other option. Then the roller nose bars came out with the promise that they would be the best thing since sliced bread.

The cutters tried them, and didn't like them in the least. Sure they gave a little more zip to their saws, but every little twig threw chains off the bars. The space between the bar and roller made it easy for twigs and brush to flip the chain off the roller.

Rollernose bars never really caught on for that reason.

Bob

Last edited:
Great thread. I love the vintage bars. I have a nice 36''er on a Mall 1MG. what year did them come out with the sprocket nose bars?

Those roller nose bars for racing look very nice.

In the late sixties in Northern Michigan all the pro cutters were using hard nose bars as there was no other option. Then the roller nose bars came out with the promise that they would be the best thing since sliced bread.

The cutters tried them, and didn't like them in the least. Sure they gave a little more zip to their saws, but every little twig threw chains off the bars. The space between the bar and roller made it easy for twigs and brush to flip the chain off the roller.

Rollernose bars never really caught on for that reason.

Bob

I know someone who dislikes the roller noses so much that he uses them to stake off the tomatoes in his garden. lol!!!

I know someone who dislikes the roller noses so much that he uses them to stake off the tomatoes in his garden. lol!!!

Wow! He must grow some hefty tomato plants!

He would do better to give the roller nose bars to someone who would preserve them. They have their following. I wouldn't mind having one for the sake of history.

I guess they made roller nose bars in all sizes. Not just large ones.;) This is the only roller nose bar I have. Its a 17" bar on a Poulan 203, which is the same as, or what became the 306. I don't know who made them. It is stamped Poulan on the bar, and Torrington on the tip. I only use it for fun cookie cutting. Don't know how well they work under working conditions.

203010.jpg

203011.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Here is a patient for the roller nose bar. Roller nose bar - Kuwica, Daniel Lots of cool parts to look at if you like looking at mechanical parts and how they work. Click on the Download PDF 4813135 for the roller nose. Then there are some more reference links below that have some cool old stuff also. I have a 50" GB hardnose bar i would love to add a roller nose to...Bob

Here are some of the roller nosed bars that I have. I do have a nice 36" General bar on my P-100 Super but dont have a nice picture of it yet.

Here is a nice 16" on this Dayton.

attachment.php

This is a original 21" Poulan branded bar on my 306SA.

attachment.php

A 21" roller from a old Mono saw converted to my Poulan 71-A

attachment.php

Here's a big belly roller on a 500 Honda Hotsaw.......I prefer and run the 3 1/2" Mall/Remington tip on my personal 500.

melissaand500006-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back