Roller Nose Bars!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My FIL has his two-seat powered parachute in my garage. Everytime I look at that Rotax 582, I think saw.

It belongs to a guy by the name of Steve Smith who worked at Horner's saw shop in Cottage Grove for a while. He's good friend with the Morgan family (Ace Morgan's bunch.)

JJ, haven't competed againist or heard of any other 500's around besides the ones I've built. I do know Randy Irwin who hangs at Horners and from Cottage Grove. He built a Honda 450cc 4-stroker hotsaw a couple years back. Don't know this other guy.

My FIL has his two-seat powered parachute in my garage. Everytime I look at that Rotax 582, I think saw.
One of the guys I work for has a paramotor that he landed in a tree the first day he took it out. All it does now is collect dust, and I think they blew the leaves outta his yard :msp_tongue: Would make a nice saw!!

You would think they would come up for sale once in awhile. What happens to the bikesaws that are no longer competetive?

Another point on bikesaws, look at those saws Dennis has pictured. The massive job of the conversion has already been done, just a simple tweak now and then will keep them competitive as long as there are bikesaws. Kartsaws did away with regular saws, bikesaws did away with kartsaws, is doubtful there will ever be a power plant that will put a well designed bikesaw on the shelf. Two stroke engine development has reached it's peak and now are being phased out.

Is that one a snowmobile engine? It sounds like a JLO engine.

Its a CRF dirtbike motor. I believe he bumped the compression as well as a few other mods.

He runs 404 high tooth.

In this run we had Bob's Farleys neighbor threatening to call the cops because it was so loud. :D
I was too close and the sound overloaded my cameras mike. :(

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HYCt0BYtgj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randys vid.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3ryIxY5vyco" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Its a CRF dirtbike motor. I believe he bumped the compression as well as a few other mods.

He runs 404 high tooth.

In this run we had Bob's Farleys neighbor threatening to call the cops because it was so loud. :D
I was too close and the sound overloaded my cameras mike. :(

It still sounds pretty awesome. I'll bet Bob's neighbors have wanted to call the cops on more than one occasion. :)

I saw Rupedoggy's bikesaws, he's got some sweet machines, a 250, a 325?, and a 500?.

Stihl made it's own hot saws and .404 high tooth chain to go with them at one time.Redirect Notice
I think this is them? Maybe someone else knows more about this.

How about 175cc?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3WVF2A1gEU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Stihl made it's own hot saws and .404 high tooth chain to go with them at one time.Redirect Notice
I think this is them? Maybe someone else knows more about this.

Dion Lane bought one of those hotsaws and tested it at my place one year. It really was down on power and he sold it. I did see a couple of the Europeans run at the STS 2 years ago and their engines were much improved. Those saws are running hi-tooth 404 chain.

wedding1043.jpg

How about 175cc?

I'm pretty sure Jerry's 175 hotsaw is a honda, and was originally built by Chaunsey Varney. That saw has been around for along time. I first saw it in the back of Chaunsey's pickup with his other bigger Honda at Loon Mt. N.H. STS in 94 or 95.

Well it's about time to start another thread with some Hotsaw video. Here's an example.......TJ Bexten making test cuts to decide which hotsaw (250/310) to run at the West Coast qualifier March 2011 at San Louis Opisbo, Ca.......250 1st/310 2nd
We saw'd the doug fir rounds in half for testing......gave us more of the true time in the wood......then went to white pine to test the chains. TJ didn't have much time at all cold start racing a bikesaw when these video's were taken. Most all his cutting came from hot start cutting with his 500. He cuts log for a living and is a skilled chainsaw operator, so he was a quick learner.......and now days is making runs in the low six's.

Last edited:
These cuts are in Western white pine, much softer than the doug fir. The 310 and 1/2" chain cut it pretty good, the 250 with 404 is to hungry. Ended up filing one more time but still found it to hungry. We now have the depth height right on the money, but more than half of the chain had to be filed back. Not a good design and very expensive when you loose half the chain right off the bat.

These cuts are in Western white pine, much softer than the doug fir. The 310 and 1/2" chain cut it pretty good, the 250 with 404 is to hungry. Ended up filing one more time but still found it to hungry. We now have the depth height right on the money, but more than half of the chain had to be filed back. Not a good design and very expensive when you loose half the chain right off the bat.

Dennis, is that the 404 high tooth? I had heard the depth gauges looked really low but 'd never heard from some one that had ran it.

Back