Roller Nose Bars!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ductape

Ductape

Addicted to ArboristSite
Another point on bikesaws, look at those saws Dennis has pictured. The massive job of the conversion has already been done, just a simple tweak now and then will keep them competitive as long as there are bikesaws. Kartsaws did away with regular saws, bikesaws did away with kartsaws, is doubtful there will ever be a power plant that will put a well designed bikesaw on the shelf. Two stroke engine development has reached it's peak and now are being phased out.

I was thinking more CC-wise. Three hundred+ cc bike saw competing against five hundred cc saws.

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Dennis, is that the 404 high tooth? I had heard the depth gauges looked really low but 'd never heard from some one that had ran it.

Yes, cutting the White pine on the 250.......Yes, way to low. By the time you get the height right, you loose at least half the tooth. Oh it will cut at in the 0.50" but not smoothly. For the high cost, the chains not worth it IMO. Stock 404 chain isn't far behind in speed, and with a little work, I believe I can get it cutting just as fast......but the old 1/2" still cuts pretty dam good!

24d

Turns Wood To Ashes
Yes, way to low. By the time you get the height right, you loose at least half the tooth. For the high cost, the chains not worth it IMO. Stock 404 chain isn't far behind in speed, and with a little work, I believe I can get it cutting just as fast......but the old 1/2" still cuts pretty dam good!

It was my understanding that they made this chain just for racing?
First, I can't see why they didn't go with a proven design, like the 1/2" for instance.
Second, why not start with a high dept gauge you could fine tune.
Unusual planning for a company so into racing and an unlimited budget.

heimannm
Back to the topic at hand - roller nose bars.

First up, a little John Deere branded Remmington with a 16"? monster bar.

View attachment 211302

On the wall, McCulloch 28" for the 10 Series

View attachment 211303
View attachment 211304

On another saw, McCulloch 24" for the 10 Series

View attachment 211305

This is a larger Remmington branded bar on the Wards 90/Mono 81

View attachment 211306

Mark

P.S. If anyone would care to share with me the latest secrets in posting photo's so they'll appear I thank you in advance

heimannm
Finally, a couple more for the large frame McCulloch saws, 26" and 30" cutting capacity.

View attachment 211308

Read the fine print on the roller "Grease Hourly"

View attachment 211309

Mark

Larry - If I get a chance I will try to get the inside door closed tonight so I can get some photo's of the Super Series cover with the holes for the starter.

little possum

little possum

Crash and Burn
Mark, you can click on preview post, and then copy the shortcuts, erase the attached link, and paste the shortcuts in the insert image box. (From URL, uncheck reference locally or what ever)

Nice bars!

24d

Turns Wood To Ashes
Larry - If I get a chance I will try to get the inside door closed tonight so I can get some photo's of the Super Series cover with the holes for the starter.

Thanks pal! I'll try to put up a picture of my saw as well, maybe I can find a roller for it ha!
Nice bars, all of them!
I'v not given up on having some roller noses made to replace the tips on replaceable sprocket tip bars, It just seems to doable. Sure is made out to be an impossible task though!

Zachary, thanks for that info I'v been wondering how to do it too!

Last edited:
Eccentric

Eccentric

Mister Wizard
Back to the topic at hand - roller nose bars.

First up, a little John Deere branded Remmington with a 16"? monster bar.

211302d1323788972-dscn5731-jpg

On the wall, McCulloch 28" for the 10 Series

211303-dscn5735-jpg

211304-dscn5734-jpg

On another saw, McCulloch 24" for the 10 Series

211305-dscn5737-jpg

This is a larger Remmington branded bar on the Wards 90/Mono 81

211306-dscn0088-jpg

Mark

P.S. If anyone would care to share with me the latest secrets in posting photo's so they'll appear I thank you in advance

Here you go Mark. I copied each shortcut and put IMG tags around them.

100_3756.jpg

I wish my 28" Super Pro bar was as nice as yours...

Nitroman

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Those really big roller-noses just...get me all excited.

If it were really necessary, or if someone really wanted too, they could make thier own roller tip. Timken and many others still make the roller bearings that go in the tips. So it would take time with a lathe to make the rivets, and some heat treated steel for the mount and roller sheeve. I think it's be a killer project, if I only had a shop to do it in!

24d

Turns Wood To Ashes
If it were really necessary, or if someone really wanted too, they could make thier own roller tip. Timken and many others still make the roller bearings that go in the tips. So it would take time with a lathe to make the rivets, and some heat treated steel for the mount and roller sheeve. I think it's be a killer project, if I only had a shop to do it in!

Yea, make us some .050 rollers up that will fit on a common bar with a replaceable sprocket tip, then send them to Dennis to test on a bike saw. Then sell them like hot cakes. If they were pumping them out 50 years ago, why can't it be done today?

Nitroman

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yea, make us some .050 rollers up that will fit on a common bar with a replaceable sprocket tip, then send them to Dennis to test on a bike saw. Then sell them like hot cakes. If they were pumping them out 50 years ago, why can't it be done today?

Yes sir, you know they could. From my understanding of reading a few posts the new type tips are the result of the old roller-style having a bad habit of shedding the chain.

chainsawlady

chainsawlady

Remington roller nose

Finally, a couple more for the large frame McCulloch saws, 26" and 30" cutting capacity.

View attachment 211308

Read the fine print on the roller "Grease Hourly"

View attachment 211309

Mark

I was wondering why the posts got so far off from roller noses. I have a new Remington roller nose 48520 that says I received Oct. 1982. Anyone interested? Will sell for price marked at that time.
chainsawlady