Rope harness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghivelder

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need information and pictures on how to make a harness with only a rope. This is part of a project related to Indian tribes in Ecuador, so any help will be greatly appreciated. The point is to allow them to climb more safely absolutely without equipment (no binners,etc). I want to make the best possible harness and lanyard with only a piece of rope.
Thanks,

Sergio

The FDNY uses just such a technique for life saving operations. Start with a GOOD rope. With about 1 1/2 arm lengths of rope, about 9-10 feet. Tie a bowline on the bight with leg loops of about 10 inches in diameter. There should be a 4-5 foot length of rope coming from the knot, forget about this for now. Next tie a slippery hitch around your chest and under your armpits and feed the 4-5 foot length of rope previously mentioned through the loop on the slippery hitch, which acts as a key, preventing the hitch from coming undone. It is next to impossible to explain with type alone, I'll try to work on finding a training bulletin

I have tied a "swiss seat" out of nylon tubing, we mainly used it for repelling but I did use it for some tree work, although it was a pain in the...

PerraginCloseUp.jpg

notsmartresized.jpg

If you really want some pain, try the bowline-on-a-bight. This is an animation of how to tie it:

http://www.dirauxwest.org/knots/bow_bight.htm

I have seen some old forest service manuals with it as the recommended safety harness for tree workers. I believe the earlier editions of Tree Maintenance by P. P. Pirone may have also recommended it.

Carl

swiss seat

the swiss seat is deffinatly the best rope tied harness there are several variations of it pm me and ill walk you through it on the phone ... ... ive fallen 35 feet on a dynamic line while rock climbing and it was comforatable .. one trick for tree climbing is to add in 2 knots on both sides ..this is where one can then tie a laynerd on ... its an easy harness to learn how to tie ...

I've used swiss seat and bo'lin on a bight and the former is much better. I would think it would work for the Amerind workers.

You can use carabiners, or heavy delta links for the connections.

The cost effective thing about the B-on-B is that it can be tied so that no connector is needed, the climber can be on ropes end. Though this can be probelmatic if they need to retie...

Is this for a nut or fruit harvest, or canopy research. I've worked with Guatamalans whove climbed for mango harvest.

Man you guys just brought back some memories for me. :) When I was taking climbing merit badge with the boy scouts. They taught us how to tie the swiss seat and the three-loop bowline with the upper cage. Man that was fun. That was my first climbing experience. Lets just say it took them 15 minutes to talk me into rappelling down the tower.

Latest posts

Back