Rope Pulled Before Kill Switch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of interest: Is this hypothetically/theoretically or have you actually had this happen on some saws (which?)?
We're taking gently pulling (not yanking) the starter rope out an inch or two while flicking the stop switch from idle speed, right? I've never had this procedure cause pawls engaging or hitting anything. Then again, I only have some 200+ chainsaws, amounting to maybe 100 different models, so there's bound to be plenty I've never seen/experienced yet ...
My one Husqvarna 395xp will break the rope or the spool almost every time if you don't hold the rope out on power down once it exploded the recoil cover, my other 395 is less compression and don't do it as bad. I have a pioneer that's bad about it too. I just do it on. All saws as a habit now. It don't hurt to do it on the saws that it's not necessary.

I just do it on. All saws as a habit now. It don't hurt to do it on the saws that it's not necessary.
Yes, that's what I said too.

Turns out that some here think it's a "bad thing" to do it on saws that don't need it, as in that pulling the rope on power down would cause damage on those saws.

That is what my question (that you quoted) was about: Can anyone actually confirm this from "practice" (as opposed to theory) and if so, which are the saws for which (gentle) rope pulling before hitting the kill switch is an absolute no go?

There are saws that you should do it on just like Mr doughnut said, and some that you should never do it on, like Mark mentioned. Stihls since at least the 028 era have pawls in the recoil and pulling the rope out actually forces the flywheel to catch them if it reverses once it stops. So don’t do it on a post-80’s Stihl
If that was true, than your ratchet/rewind would blow up the second you start the saw. Every type of pawls in the rewind starter mechanisms engage only in one direction.
I am pretty sure there are no saws that pulling the rope before shut down would make a problem. But there are saws that do have problems if you dont pull the rope.
It is very simple to test. Before you shut down the saw, pull the rope for a few inches and if you feel kick back when shut down, then it is very advisable to pull the rope. If not, there is no need for that.

If that was true, then your ratchet/rewind would blow up the second you start the saw. Every type of pawls in the rewind starter mechanisms engage only in one direction.
I am pretty sure there are no saws that pulling the rope before shut down would make a problem. But there are saws that do have problems if you dont pull the rope.
It is very simple to test. Before you shut down the saw, pull the rope for a few inches and if you feel kick back when shut down, then it is very advisable to pull the rope. If not, there is no need for that.
It’s obvious you didn’t read or possibly understand anything about what we said. The pawls on recent Stihls are in the recoil. When you pull the rope out, the pawls extend. If the saw were to reverse when it shut off, you would actually be forcing the pawls into the flywheel. If you didn’t pull the rope out, there would be nothing for the flywheel to catch. But by all means, feel free do it to all saws 👍🙄

It’s obvious you didn’t read or possibly understand anything about what we said. The pawls on recent Stihls are in the recoil. When you pull the rope out, the pawls extend. If the saw were to reverse when it shut off, you would actually be forcing the pawls into the flywheel. If you didn’t pull the rope out, there would be nothing for the flywheel to catch. But by all means, feel free do it to all saws 👍🙄
Even if they would catch, but they dont, you absorb kick back with your hand, so no harm.

Latest posts

Back