Rope pulling training?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that folks, says it all, very low value targets. Yeah, the powerline ain't really worth that much, its just aluminium wire wrapped around a lonely steelcore. But then, I guess your life ain't worth much when you contact a high voltage powerline. And thats the thing a lot of other res. guys don't get, what other "target' kills you when you hit it? A house, a car, a boat, what?

Now Ekka, I blamed the guy here and his cuts, said it from the start. I never said that guys pulling the rope can change the direction, all I said was, that the rope should be pulled from the off lean side. Thats all.

I called this post well in advance while discussing this thread with my wife, but didn't want to step in when I knew good and well that you'd be coming back with this post.

The only thing that I would have added is that I find myself in plenty of residential situations with all manner of power lines running around. I'm not stuck along some backwards ROW with a band of Arkansas border jumpers. In fact, I'll bet I spend more time with residential and private ROWs, than public. That often puts me in a position where I have the same targets as anyone in residential work might have, plus the lines.

When that's not enough fun...just add 1" ICE and how bout power lines that are up and down everywhere that may or may not be live/back fed by a HO’s generator.

And towards the end of a workday full of mixed weather groundpunding/bucketwork/climbing you meet the HO out in his front yard to ask about the generator that's running and he meets you with a rifle.

"Good Afternoon!"

Yeah, I think about going into residential work all the time, but I don't think I'd have as much fun.

That isn't a crack at residential guys either BTW, I know they earn their rice bowl too. It's just different, but don't anybody tell me we don't have targets.

I enjoyed the rest of Ekka's post though, as I do many of his others, he's just wrong on this point.

I've been getting a kick outta watching you two go round and round. Diapers. Low targets. HA!

Nuts! :)

I called this post well in advance while discussing this thread with my wife, but didn't want to step in when I knew good and well that you'd be coming back with this post.

The only thing that I would have added is that I find myself in plenty of residential situations with all manner of power lines running around. I'm not stuck along some backwards ROW with a band of Arkansas border jumpers. In fact, I'll bet I spend more time with residential and private ROWs, than public. That often puts me in a position where I have the same targets as anyone in residential work might have, plus the lines.

When that's not enough fun...just add 1" ICE and how bout power lines that are up and down everywhere that may or may not be live/back fed by a HO’s generator.

And towards the end of a workday full of mixed weather groundpunding/bucketwork/climbing you meet the HO out in his front yard to ask about the generator that's running and he meets you with a rifle.

"Good Afternoon!"

Yeah, I think about going into residential work all the time, but I don't think I'd have as much fun.

That isn't a crack at residential guys either BTW, I know they earn their rice bowl too. It's just different, but don't anybody tell me we don't have targets.

I enjoyed the rest of Ekka's post though, as I do many of his others, he's just wrong on this point.

I've been getting a kick outta watching you two go round and round. Diapers. Low targets. HA!

Nuts! :)

Two biggest differences powerline work=low pay and yes I have
cut around some very valuable targets doing line clearance in back
of houses! Even though "you guys" as I don't do low ball work for
the lines anymore, don't get paid for your work you're name is
really not on your work. Meaning if you fu, it is your line company
catching the heat not you!!!! They are also the financial party
responsible for you and any mistake you may make including
human life. Having said that; I am glad most times to be on the
other side as another difference is production requirements,
I remember office managers saying we are behind, when you
had been working as hard as anyone should be expected to.
Man I really don't miss that bs especially bid jobs,t&m not too
bad, but those bid jobs stunk and it never failed,they were
always in August!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Two biggest differences 1 powerline work=low pay and yes I have
cut around some very valuable targets doing line clearance in back
of houses! Even though "you guys" as I don't do low ball work for
the lines anymore, don't get paid for your work you're name is
really not on your work. Meaning if you fu, it is your line company
catching the heat not you!!!! They are also the financial party
responsible for you and any mistake you may make including
human life.

No question. Residential does have that appeal to me.

In a sense though, my name is on my work, yet not in the same sense currently, I agree.

I'm doing contracted work for my local co-op which is based just down the road. There is the potential for some good things to come from this account for me personally and professionally.

My goals are to ultimately have my name on the side of the truck(s), whether I do line/ROW clearance, residential, or both.

I'm not in this just as a worker putting in time whackin weeds. :chainsaw:

I farmed with my family for nearly 20 years till we got out while the getting was good, went trucking for 10 years, hazmat tanker mostly, now my interests have turned to being a working arborist whether with utilities or not.

I love this industry, so every tree to me is my signature. Before or after I go up in a tree, I'm usually dealing with a home or property owner about their tree(s) with the attention towards pleasing the co-op member.

Like I said, I'm not with a band of mobillies on some backwoods ROW.

I've got irons in the fire so to speak. ;)

let me defend the line clearance people who might be reading this, just because that is what they (or I used to) do doesn't mean they are not trained in the skill of spike free climbing, I can tell you that we sent a many guys to the training for advanced arborist climbing many times, I myself never learned because I'm 300# so all my climbing now is removals but like I said, just because someone does line clearance doesn't make them an idiot to the other ways of climbing but when you add the power company down your ass to get it done in a hurry then that takes all the slower ways out of play. but have you ever really seen a tree that died as a result of spiking, I haven't.

I know I'll probably get a few guys tell me they could foot lock it faster.
i agree 100%. i used to work line clearance in the state of Md and most of the work i/we did was 90% climbing. the state of Md requires a permit to remove and a license to trim. even no spiking trees is illegal we never ever went without spikes. the owner and the GF new it and so did all the the formans. the hooks are tollerated in line clearance because you have miles devided by days and would never make your quota on time. i agree footlocking is faster but far less energy efficent, there is no way i could ever footlock and hipthrust all:censored: day every day tree after tree after tree:jawdrop: . thats just nuckin futs!!!:dizzy:

there is no way i could ever footlock and hipthrust all:censored: day every day tree after tree after tree:jawdrop: . thats just nuckin futs!!!:dizzy:

Tell it WLL, thats the truth, couldn't have said it better myself. I can't even footlock or hipthrust, looks mighty painfull, and a little bit ghey. Production baby, that the name of the game, oh yeah, and not getting fried.

Thanks for the support Rftree and Industry.

i want to add i have a 13 second footlock to 50ft:

Pretty ignorant eh? :dizzy:

To cut around wires here, 1 day course.

To be an arborist, a few years.

One day course, wow. I take it all back, I bow down to you.

The measly 1200 hours I worked in close proximety to energized power (12kv to 500kv), the government trade courses I took (6 weeks over two years), the written tests to get my trade certification, the tests I took at the utility so I could work on the system and take out permits in my name, why thats all meaningless.

I wish I could have mastered the mighty knowledge you have by taking the same one day course.

Pretty ignorant eh? :dizzy:

To cut around wires here, 1 day course.

To be an arborist, a few years.

And another thing, you could be the best ISA dude of all time, the tree climbing champ, the Jedi master of all treework, but that doesn't even let you chip my brush around powerlines here. You actually need a little card showing you understand how to work around power, etc, for even that task, a card which only someone with my credentials can give you.

I find that very amusing, ISA types chipping my brush, not that I wouldn't help them, but you have to admit, it kind of speaks to who is who, and who isn't, around power, anyways.

And another thing, you could be the best ISA dude of all time, the tree climbing champ, the Jedi master of all treework, but that doesn't even let you chip my brush around powerlines here.

I find that very amusing, ISA types chipping my brush

LOL, that is a good one!

i want to add i have a 13 second footlock to 50ft:

you is the world record holder dude! Put it on video, or practice up and bring it to a jamboree. I think 13.8 seconds is the current Mark Chisolm record.

And another thing, you could be the best ISA dude of all time, the tree climbing champ, the Jedi master of all treework, but that doesn't even let you chip my brush around powerlines here. You actually need a little card showing you understand how to work around power, etc, for even that task, a card which only someone with my credentials can give you.

I find that very amusing, ISA types chipping my brush, not that I wouldn't help them, but you have to admit, it kind of speaks to who is who, and who isn't, around power, anyways.

Have fun around power. I have mucho respect for you CUA's, however I don't see it both ways all the time. One day all this power will be underground - albeit much later than you will be retired. There will still be lots of big trees around that won't require spurs and directional falling after you're gone despite your mad skills. You are the masterblaster on this site in words at least - thanks for taking down dead trees over powerlines with your Jedi spurs and masterful ways with knotches. You can get a monkey to chip your brush for you, and you can come learn from my monkeys how to dig. Have you planted any trees that have lived lately? Get off your high horse and cut some slack for those who don't work all day around power and whose efforts work to offset the big holes in the urban forest that the power lines create. Are you with us or against us? Or do you just have a problem with Aussies? They's just good folks who are deprived of ice to play hockey on. . . .

Have fun around power. I have mucho respect for you CUA's, however I don't see it both ways all the time. One day all this power will be underground - albeit much later than you will be retired. There will still be lots of big trees around that won't require spurs and directional falling after you're gone despite your mad skills. You are the masterblaster on this site in words at least - thanks for taking down dead trees over powerlines with your Jedi spurs and masterful ways with knotches. You can get a monkey to chip your brush for you, and you can come learn from my monkeys how to dig. Have you planted any trees that have lived lately? Get off your high horse and cut some slack for those who don't work all day around power and whose efforts work to offset the big holes in the urban forest that the power lines create. Are you with us or against us? Or do you just have a problem with Aussies? They's just good folks who are deprived of ice to play hockey on. . . .

Good folks with no ice...LOL! I love it.

Just let em go at it, I'm learning alot about aussies and one day power courses, and canadian cards.

How much for the monkeys? I'll take em.

Sorry if I offended you OD.

thats why i said "might" clearance and then had a little laugh about it.

no offense taken.

i am with you on the way you do your job. whatever it takes to get home at the end of the day with the lights on man.

do it how you see fit.

oldirty

Ahhhhhhhh but power is not very tree orientated,yes they teach
lateral trimming and some hold to standards. Most line clearance
personal would not know the differance in transperational pull,
anionic exchange capacity vrs path of least resistance!
For that matter if you came here to do what you are getting
line kills now for, you would be dragging brush and that is a fact.
Line clearance here would scare you to death friend,as you would
not understand how to perform with the line hot! I have told you
that in another thread and I am glad that they kill it for you there,
you would have a lot to learn here. Line clearance personal get
my respect I do admit,having spent 23 years clearing them I
understand their plight, especially in the states where they are
cleared with it on! I miss my comrades in line clearance at times,
but don't miss working for peanuts.

Last edited:

As far as being the master, I am not, I stand on the shoulders of better CUAs., who taught me. As far as planting trees, never have, but I juvenile spaced for two years, building forests, does that count? Now there Jkerk, what is it that you do, for starters, do you actually work, or do you just tell people what to do?

I see you are a municipal arborist, in that hotbed of treehugging doo-gooders, the David Anderson zone. Your statement "big holes in the urban forest that powerlines create" now thats a good one. Fact is, if transmission lines were not there the land would probably be developed, no trees, no little trees, no bushes, no nothing, just condos and parking lots.

As far as powerlines all being put under ground, sure in new developments, because the developer pays for it. B.C. Hydro will not be putting lines underground on thier own because of the tremendous cost. The money would have to come from customers, B.C. Hydro would have to appear before the Utilities Commisssion to raise rates. Everyone in the province would scream about thier Hydro bill being doubled, including all the treehuggers. Won't happen. And futhermore, where are you going to dig this ditch for the underground line? Down the middle of the road? I think not, probably right in the same place but underground, hmmm, pretty hard on the roots, bye, bye trees.

I have worked for a municipal arborists before on the mainland, the kind that plant trees under powerlines and other wonderfull things, so, I am predesposed to view them all with caution. You ask "are you with us or against us" Tell you what, I'm all for the right trees in the right places, and cutting down the bad trees, hows that?

Is this the same guy who was complaining, becouse his groundie could not pull a top through another tree, a few weeks back.
Pulling a top through another tree is going to get you hurt really bad, sooner than later.

jrietkerk
As for one day putting all of the power under ground- keep dreaming. For small developments it will happen. But until they come up with a super conductor the idea of running transmission power under ground is not economically viable.
By the way have you ever seen an under ground ROW? How many trees are on it?

Latest posts

Back