Rope Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohN Dee

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi there,

Well the other day I was taking down a deformed Conifer, I tied the rope off the branch and to another part of the tree with a lowering-brake. Now in theory that would have worked, except the load was too much for the rope and resulted in the rope snapping. LUCKILY it fell straight to the ground without Damage or Injuring anyone.

Now heres the Question: What is the best/most-used/recommended rope used for lowering limbs?

It would be great if you could tell me the Max. Weight load, Name and A (online) shop to buy it from..

P.S I'm from Sydney, Australia so something local is preferred but Online will do.

I don't know if anyone sells arborist ropes down under. Spelean makes Bluewater static rope in Sydney though. 11mm = 3000kg mean breaking load from memory. Sold through outdoor stores.

Sometimes these outdoor stores have cheaper static ropes at around 10-10.5mm in lesser known brands. Generally not quite so abrasion resistant, but otherwise good.

Otherwise, I've bought stuff online from a few of the sponsors at the top of the page. Couldn't be happier.

JohN Dee said:
Now heres the Question: What is the best/most-used/recommended rope used for lowering limbs?

You didnt mention the type rope you were useing but probably the most popular lowereing line is a double braid. You can seach here and find alot in info on different lines. 5/8" is probably the most common as its easy to hold and still has a lot of strength. If your not dropping huge pieces, a 16 strand 1/2" climbing line will work.

I dig Samson's Stable Braid. Easy to work with and holds up well. Wicked tough. 1/2" is rated around 10,000lbs I believe....but don't quote me on that. Sherrill is a good one, Wesspur has been good the few times I've dealt with them. Their websites have all the info you could ask for posted with pics of the product. Welcome to the site!!

Back