Ropensaddle,s world Arkansas style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks kind of like a tautline. Reason I asked is it looks like a knot an old guy I used to work for taught me. He had started out in the late 50's. He was the guy who taught me crane work. I didn't know what it was called back then (before the wurld wide web) but found out later it was a tautline. He just called it a climbing knot. He had only ever climbed on manila ropes. I was climbing on a 5 coil prussic which I was taught when I first started out. The old guy didn't like the knot and wanted me to climb on his knot. Only difference is instead of the two ends coming out of the coils in the same direction they come out in opposite directions. I wasn't crazy about it and went back to climbing on my own knot. Both work though.

I'd try one of the newer European knots with that setup if I was you. They are pretty dam slick.

Looks kind of like a tautline. Reason I asked is it looks like a knot an old guy I used to work for taught me. He had started out in the late 50's. He was the guy who taught me crane work. I didn't know what it was called back then (before the wurld wide web) but found out later it was a tautline. He just called it a climbing knot. He had only ever climbed on manila ropes. I was climbing on a 5 coil prussic which I was taught when I first started out. The old guy didn't like the knot and wanted me to climb on his knot. Only difference is instead of the two ends coming out of the coils in the same direction they come out in opposite directions. I wasn't crazy about it and went back to climbing on my own knot. Both work though.

I'd try one of the newer European knots with that setup if I was you. They are pretty dam slick.

I may evolve into prussic later, if you saw the way I was climbing for 27 years you would see the improvement I made lol. I was using tauntline am now going blake and may go to prussic with spliced eyes later but really this will do me fine, it is self tending. I was just old schooling but I ain't as strong as I once was either lol.

Man, I old schooled for so long it ain't funny. Not quite 27 years but about 16. I only went to a split tail about 3 years ago. That setup with the pulley should work well for you. Once you see how nice it is to be able to tend slack with one hand you'll be jumping for joy. It's like having a 3rd hand! :clap:

And you can just have a groundie tail your line while you go up and basically free climb when you set a line. It's nice when you use ascenders for spikeless prunes as well.

I am still old school in a lot of my methods but the self tending split tail was a huge advancement for me. Pretty soon you will be wanting to try some of these high performance knots and be saying bye bye to the old school. Once you get it dialed in it's almost like using a mechanical device.

Man, I old schooled for so long it ain't funny. Not quite 27 years but about 16. I only went to a split tail about 3 years ago. That setup with the pulley should work well for you. Once you see how nice it is to be able to tend slack with one hand you'll be jumping for joy. It's like having a 3rd hand! :clap:

And you can just have a groundie tail your line while you go up and basically free climb when you set a line. It's nice when you use ascenders for spikeless prunes as well.

I am still old school in a lot of my methods but the self tending split tail was a huge advancement for me. Pretty soon you will be wanting to try some of these high performance knots and be saying bye bye to the old school. Once you get it dialed in it's almost like using a mechanical device.

I was old school because I'm cheap lmfao! I finally decided to bite the bullet, as; been climbing more than bucket lately if work keeps up I will have many more goodies to play with.I played with the big snot today hit limb at 85 feet things are gonna get better when I get that wraptor lol:cheers: I may even get me a Grcs if I stay this busy all summer. It is the busiest I have experienced since starting my biz in 2004! I am going to try to cert this year too:cheers:

Yep, GRCS is on the top of my agenda this year too. Hoping it makes me a lot more competitive. I was going to buy one back when we had our storm but I bough a new chipper and dump. Plus Quinn bought one so I wasn't really in that bad of need for one then. I figured I would get it further on into the year and then the bottom dropped out. I sure hope we pick up around here like you seem to have.

Glad to hear your making out buddy. :cheers:

Yep, GRCS is on the top of my agenda this year too. Hoping it makes me a lot more competitive. I was going to buy one back when we had our storm but I bough a new chipper and dump. Plus Quinn bought one so I wasn't really in that bad of need for one then. I figured I would get it further on into the year and then the bottom dropped out. I sure hope we pick up around here like you seem to have.

Glad to hear your making out buddy. :cheers:

Not exactly making out but working at least. I had to adjust my pricing some to get there but am profiting some, seems like I have been plagued with tire and hydraulic trouble lately. It just makes it less profit but insurance is coming soon so there it goes grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:laugh:
I hope it stays fairly steady this year be nice to finally get my share!

Rope, I am having to work cheaper than I ever have. Even lower than when I started out in the 90's. While I have been doing this last job I have had three raggedy pickups with magnetic signs come trolling by. Hey, I'm no pretty boy but these guys look like the just left the meth lab unattended for a few. No doubt that one if not all of them had already bid this job. They're prowling the neighborhoods.

Rope, I am having to work cheaper than I ever have. Even lower than when I started out in the 90's. While I have been doing this last job I have had three raggedy pickups with magnetic signs come trolling by. Hey, I'm no pretty boy but these guys look like the just left the meth lab unattended for a few. No doubt that one if not all of them had already bid this job. They're prowling the neighborhoods.

Yeah they,re here too pard! I am prolly just busy for a while then slow again but I do hope not and I stay busy.

HappyBirthday62.jpg

Back