Ruined Chains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the OP, you say you use brute strength...

With a sharp chain you should not have to apply any pressure (fine, maybe hardly any) to make the saw cut. Really pushing on the saw may help things go a little bit faster, so long as you don't stop it entirely, but it's not something you want to do all the time. It sounds like you may have been really straining when you were finishing the cut, which as you suggest ,made the damage a lot worse.

To the OP, you say you use brute strength...

With a sharp chain you should not have to apply any pressure (fine, maybe hardly any) to make the saw cut. Really pushing on the saw may help things go a little bit faster, so long as you don't stop it entirely, but it's not something you want to do all the time. It sounds like you may have been really straining when you were finishing the cut, which as you suggest ,made the damage a lot worse.

:agree2: My first thought was that the chain was dull to begin with. My usual is to change out a chain when I discover that I am 'pushing' the bar.

Harry K

As far as dealers, I've had good luck buying stihl stuff from cox power who also sells Husqvarna saws. They were 10 dollars below msrp on stihl stuff, which was better than other places I saw, and will take off 5 percent if you pay cash which isnt bad either. Also Foothills farmers coop carries both lines of saws and pretty much every model I think, haven't bought from them though. I'm going to go take these pics now....

As far as dealers, I've had good luck buying stihl stuff from cox power who also sells Husqvarna saws. They were 10 dollars below msrp on stihl stuff, which was better than other places I saw, and will take off 5 percent if you pay cash which isnt bad either. Also Foothills farmers coop carries both lines of saws and pretty much every model I think, haven't bought from them though. I'm going to go take these pics now....

Cool. I know were the foothills co-op is. Ill stop by and check them out next time im passing by.

Yeah so I feel like a doofus now, my suspicions were right concerning the semi chisel vs full chisel. On the SC the rakers are completely straight, and on the full chisel they are bent over at an angle, thankfully I had a new loop of 20 inch full chisel to compare it to since I was normally running SC. I guess I am just going to have to take off more material since I hit the nail/asphalt pretty hard. Does anyone know why the raker designs are so different on these chains?

Yeah so I feel like a doofus now, my suspicions were right concerning the semi chisel vs full chisel. On the SC the rakers are completely straight, and on the full chisel they are bent over at an angle, thankfully I had a new loop of 20 inch full chisel to compare it to since I was normally running SC. I guess I am just going to have to take off more material since I hit the nail/asphalt pretty hard. Does anyone know why the raker designs are so different on these chains?

Im not real sure what you have, but safety chain has bent over rakers.

Yeah the safety chain I have is straight and then the rakers are bent over at a 90 degree angle, these rakers are angled out at the base but more like 45 degrees.

Yeah the safety chain I have is straight and then the rakers are bent over at a 90 degree angle, these rakers are angled out at the base but more like 45 degrees.

I gotcha. Must just be a different design. Most of the full chisel chains is slightly layed to the outside as well.

Latest posts

Back