Sachs Dolmar 120si back from the dead ...well, almost dead.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspakland

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Northern Arizona, Off the grid but I need to move
First off, a hearty thanks to you guys for the advice, a few small parts, and words of encouragement........
I fired up my 120si today finally.
It even idles on its own and the throttle response is close to acceptable. I still need to do a fine tune on the carb adjustment, it's touchy as all heck. If I tune it for perfect throttle response the saw won't idle, and I need to always use the choke to start it, even after warmed up. But it could be a lot worse hearing some of the horror stories I see posted on these pages.
I will play with the saw some more over the weekend after I get caught up on some things.
There may be hope yet for me to actually have a real saw to cut firewood with, and use the cheap made in China Homelite as a limbing saw and for use in case I get the Sachs stuck.
Wish me luck.
Thanks again, guys......

I bought a used carb on eBay for 18 bucks, it said may or not need rebuilding.
As it turned out, it was slightly gummed up, a little dirt, and the tab on the diaphragm wasn't hooked to the arm from the needle. It ran but wouldn't idle period.
So, I used the rebuild kit I had tried on the original carb and did a good cleaning and verify the tab was hooked up.

I bought a used carb on eBay for 18 bucks, it said may or not need rebuilding.
As it turned out, it was slightly gummed up, a little dirt, and the tab on the diaphragm wasn't hooked to the arm from the needle. It ran but wouldn't idle period.
So, I used the rebuild kit I had tried on the original carb and did a good cleaning and verify the tab was hooked up.

Very good, keep us posted.
Pioneerguy600

Those are great saws and well worth the effort.
Congrats on getting her up and running.
As for the throttle response, Just because you like
it where it's at doesn't mean the saw likes it.
Sounds like it's a hair lean on the low side.
i would back the low screw out a hair and adjust
the idle then try it.

Lee

I can't complain about the whole deal, got the saw for free because it wouldn't run more than a few minutes and refused to restart.
My total investment in it is less than a hundred bucks, and I learned a lot.
Plus I found this site to learn from, make new friends, and the off the topic forum is a great source of cheap entertainment.
I need to get out more .....
Warm dry weather and a good running saw and I won't be staying home much.

Well, I finally had time to play with the 120 today.

Went outside today and started cutting up oddball pieces of wood for my stove that were either too big to fit or too hard to split.

Got the saw to operating temperature, and it only took like 6 tries to get the carburetor adjusted to where the saw runs right, idles, and returns to an idle without taking its sweet time to drop RPM.

Stupid me had the H and L screws mixed up the first couple of times, but once I figured it out and forced it into my feeble brain as to which screw was which, I was able to get it right.

Sure feels good to have a REAL saw again to cut with.

Watch out, all you standing dead oak and juniper trees, I'm heading your way soon.

Well, I finally had time to play with the 120 today.

Went outside today and started cutting up oddball pieces of wood for my stove that were either too big to fit or too hard to split.

Got the saw to operating temperature, and it only took like 6 tries to get the carburetor adjusted to where the saw runs right, idles, and returns to an idle without taking its sweet time to drop RPM.

Stupid me had the H and L screws mixed up the first couple of times, but once I figured it out and forced it into my feeble brain as to which screw was which, I was able to get it right.

Sure feels good to have a REAL saw again to cut with.

Watch out, all you standing dead oak and juniper trees, I'm heading your way soon.

And here is a guy that was going to give up on that saw, good thing you didn`t, it should be a good saw for your needs. Rep incoming for seeing the job through.
Pioneerguy600

Sachs Dolmar 120si

I too have been the lucky recipient of a dead 120si. It had been run into the ground and left for dead in someone's basement, where it sustained water damage in the form of rust and mold. I cleaned it up. got hold of a 116si recoil cover assembly. And finally after a couple of weeks chipping away at it, I got it running. The Pull start bolt holes actually need a couple of heli-coils. But check out the video. It'll be well worth it. New chain , new bar, new flywheel and recoil assembly.

YouTube - Sachs Dolmar 120si

Catfacetimber lives in Winslow I believe, so that makes three.

I haven't seen Clint lately, come to think of it. We used to have a fellow by the name of Mr Superhunky but... well... you can imagine how long that lasted. Nice fellow, really, he just wore his tootoo to the football game.

120si

Hey,
Are the parts on a 120si interchangeable with the 120.
Specifically the pulley on the starter coil.
thanks

Recoil pulleys are the same on 120, 120 Super and 120Si.

I'm glad you have it running. Speaking of Winslow, the Moore's Pawn there has a BUNCH of saws, including a Stihl 090, but all around $450. I thought the prices were high, except maybe not the 090.
I was looking for a 115 side cover with a complete old type chain brake. Nada.

All the 120s I've seen had the coil/ignition under the flywheel. The 120si has the "outboard" coil/ignition. me thinks the cases are different (coil mounting boss) on the si's

I can't complain about the whole deal, got the saw for free because it wouldn't run more than a few minutes and refused to restart.
Plus I found this site to learn from, make new friends, and the off the topic forum is a great source of cheap entertainment.
I bought this saw for $100 and put a full chisel on it i think it sounds good but never seen one run any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back