Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up my chop saw. Looks to be small as predicted. Haven't had time to check anything but looks mighty like a 120S to me. Will report back when I get time. Neat muffler!

DSC00444_zpsf2c32978.jpg

DSC00445_zps4b769a2d.jpg

Can anyone offer advice on removing the fan/flywheel on my 112. I removed the starter mechanism expecting to find a couple of threaded holes in the fan to taken a puller but no holes, I suppose a three legged puller is needed, I thought I should check here first.
I want to fit new crankshaft seals before putting it to work and am intending to fit Viton seals available locally and also check out the points while I have access, any tips on doing this appreciated.
Cheers

I made one from an 1/2 inch npt pipe nipple.
Weld a nut on one end ( used 3/8 or 10mm for you blokes) cut 2 threads off the other end and it screws into the center perfectly.

Do find a piece of tubing that stands proud of the end of the crankshaft. There are centers drilled into the snout, and if pushing very hard against the snout it will split (don't ask how I know this) I usually get a good pre-tension on the puller, then hit it with a heat gun around the center of the flywheel.

Heat for 30 seconds or so on "high", wait for it, TINK!

Picked up my chop saw. Looks to be small as predicted. Haven't had time to check anything but looks mighty like a 120S to me. Will report back when I get time. Neat muffler!

DSC00444_zpsf2c32978.jpg

DSC00445_zps4b769a2d.jpg

Nice saw,

I have a half dozen of them.

Most are based on the 123 (47mm), but all the P&Cs will interchange.
PICK YOUR SIZE
47MM=70CC
52mm=85cc
55mm=95cc

They are heavy but pull darn good @ 70cc.

Does yours only have one mixture screw?

Many have a fixed H and will not rev very far. Guess they keep it low since most abrasive wheels are rated 5500 RPM.

Good for what they were made for, lots better than the old Stihls based off the 08.

I made one from an 1/2 inch npt pipe nipple.
Weld a nut on one end ( used 3/8 or 10mm for you blokes) cut 2 threads off the other end and it screws into the center perfectly.

Do find a piece of tubing that stands proud of the end of the crankshaft. There are centers drilled into the snout, and if pushing very hard against the snout it will split (don't ask how I know this) I usually get a good pre-tension on the puller, then hit it with a heat gun around the center of the flywheel.

Heat for 30 seconds or so on "high", wait for it, TINK!

I'll have a go at making one I should say having it made at work:msp_smile:, thanks for help.

Nice saw,

I have a half dozen of them.

Most are based on the 123 (47mm), but all the P&Cs will interchange.
PICK YOUR SIZE
47MM=70CC
52mm=85cc
55mm=95cc

They are heavy but pull darn good @ 70cc.

Does yours only have one mixture screw?

Many have a fixed H and will not rev very far. Guess they keep it low since most abrasive wheels are rated 5500 RPM.

Good for what they were made for, lots better than the old Stihls based off the 08.

Thanks for the information. I haven't had time to investigate further but will post back when I can. I am kinda thinking it isn't going to have spark as those coils were problematic here. I like my Dolmars but am a bit out of my depth with chop saws.

Im doing a bit more on my 112 while waiting to get the flywheel puller made. The cylinder is good but I would like to clean up the bit of aluminium transfer on it. I used Hydrochloric acid on the donor 112 cylinder, that sure got rid of the aluminimum transfer but also left the Nakasil with a dull finish, is that OK. I really don't want to compromise the Nikasil plating. I tried rubbing with a scotchbrite pad without success, there must be an easier way than that.
Also ring gap should that be 1 mil. the donor came with a new Mako piston and ring, I'm thinking I may as well pop the new ring onto my original piston while it's apart, I can source another ring if I use the Mako piston in the future.
As always thanks for any help.

Don't worry about discoloration.
If things are smooth with no deep scratches you are Golden.

Im doing a bit more on my 112 while waiting to get the flywheel puller made. The cylinder is good but I would like to clean up the bit of aluminium transfer on it. I used Hydrochloric acid on the donor 112 cylinder, that sure got rid of the aluminimum transfer but also left the Nakasil with a dull finish, is that OK. I really don't want to compromise the Nikasil plating. I tried rubbing with a scotchbrite pad without success, there must be an easier way than that.
Also ring gap should that be 1 mil. the donor came with a new Mako piston and ring, I'm thinking I may as well pop the new ring onto my original piston while it's apart, I can source another ring if I use the Mako piston in the future.
As always thanks for any help.

The real tool/puller is easily available from a Stihl dealer, about $20. here and lots of them on eBay. Your ring end gap should be .008-.009 to be a good seal. Make sure your ring land grooves are the right fit for your rings from a Mako piston.

Yesterdays progress on the 112.
Ring gap of the 112's original ring was over .025" the new ring .009" and felt stronger so the new ring went in.
The HK21C carby looked like an upgrade on the original HK21A so a diaphragm kit went into it and it went on.
It runs a lot better but has trouble starting when hot, I'll try a new spark plug, and see if that helps.
I really want to get the flywheel off and have a look at the points but my home made puller failed, it ended up pulling out, the heat gun didn't do the trick and just giving it a few good hits with the nut flush also didn't work for me. I'm going to have to get a proper puller as I would like to fit the new seals I have, the old ones been in it since '78 and for peace of mind I'd like to change them.

Sachs Dolmars have rock solid bottom ends.

I have yet to have a problems with seals on any of my Dolmars.

Ring gap of the 112's original ring was over .025" the new ring .009" and felt stronger so the new ring went in.
The HK21C carby looked like an upgrade on the original HK21A so a diaphragm kit went into it and it went on.
It runs a lot better but has trouble starting when hot, I'll try a new spark plug, and see if that helps.
I really want to get the flywheel off and have a look at the points but my home made puller failed, it ended up pulling out, the heat gun didn't do the trick and just giving it a few good hits with the nut flush also didn't work for me. I'm going to have to get a proper puller as I would like to fit the new seals I have, the old ones been in it since '78 and for peace of mind I'd like to change them.

Make sure you have the half throttle lock on - might fix the hot starts. Where in Melbourne are you? I get down occassionally and could pop the flywheel for you. Can't beat a brass hammer in my view.:)

Allan

Both mixture screws should be one turn out from lightly seated.
Should start and run there
I usually end up with 1.125-1.25 L and about .750-.875 H.

Thanks for the ongoing help everyone.
I think the hot start issue is now ok, I just got stuck into the spare spark plug with a file, it now seems ok. I'll see how it goes after a bit of cutting but that won't be for a couple weeks.
The seal business, thanks for offer Nardoo but theres no urgency just me wanting to do it all this weekend, the saw seems ok so the seals can wait a bit.
I'm glad I found this forum and thread it has inspired me to get my old Dollie going.
Next project will be to get the donor 112 going, but I'll need a cylinder for that so that's for the future.

Back