Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar 120si

Looking for some opinions on this saw. Picked one up at the local landfill today. Piston looked good. Put some new mix in, fired on the first pull. Only thing I can see wrong is they didn't throw the bar and chain out too.

Looking for some opinions on this saw. Picked one up at the local landfill today. Piston looked good. Put some new mix in, fired on the first pull. Only thing I can see wrong is they didn't throw the bar and chain out too.

Since I ran Sachs Dolmars for production cutting I think you did good, the 120si is the forerunner of the 6800. I cut a lot of softwood with the 120 Super and 120Si. They were great saws in their day but there are better saws out there today for production cutting. They are still a great saw for firewood cutting, especially for a homeowner type situation. They have very good power but are a little heavy and their AV system is not up to todays standards but I still have 3 of them that are not going anywhere soon.

Since I ran Sachs Dolmars for production cutting I think you did good, the 120si is the forerunner of the 6800. I cut a lot of softwood with the 120 Super and 120Si. They were great saws in their day but there are better saws out there today for production cutting. They are still a great saw for firewood cutting, especially for a homeowner type situation. They have very good power but are a little heavy and their AV system is not up to todays standards but I still have 3 of them that are not going anywhere soon.

I'm kinda used to old and heavy ( Homelite 650 - Poulan 5200 ) so I guess it fits right in. It's truly amazing what people will throw away.

I'm kinda used to old and heavy ( Homelite 650 - Poulan 5200 ) so I guess it fits right in. It's truly amazing what people will throw away.

How about it..... I buy most of my coolest stuff at the scrap yard. Chainsaws included. It blows me away when I see something worth serious money that someone sold for peanuts to the yard.

I got a few 120's and 120Si's - even a 116Si or two and a 112. They are no good - no wonder yours was thrown in the trash. Don't believe Jerry - he's old and his memory isn't good. Go buy a nice farm boss and send that saw to me (or the slug).

Al.

I like the full wrap.

Not a production cutter here, so them 120si' fit me to the tee.

Here's my fav;

attachment.php

119 mm

So I just finished up the muffler on my 119. It was beat pretty bad with dents and weld on the out side of it. Knocked the dents out and ground off the weld and welded it from the inside instead. Cut half of the baffle out and put a spark screen around the baffle. Put in a double pipe and ready to go.

267323d1355351184-img_1552-jpg
View attachment 267323

Last edited:

I also am fairly lucky at finding chainsaws in the dumpsters or out on the curbside on garbage day. I have found some in like new condition and at least 2 that still had the bill of sale attached to the handle. Truly amazing that someone would throw out a new or nearly new saw and even more amazing that I found them, seeing as I have CAD..

Have the next three weeks off.

been meaning to visit an old fella that ran an outdoor equipment shop for many years. (been closed since his Wife passed)

i talked to him on the phone awhile back, he said he would be more than happy to show me around.

The old boy is about 90, but he's sharp as a tack.

Have the next three weeks off.

been meaning to visit an old fella that ran an outdoor equipment shop for many years. (been closed since his Wife passed)

i talked to him on the phone awhile back, he said he would be more than happy to show me around.

The old boy is about 90, but he's sharp as a tack.

Keep your eye peeled, might be some real treasures hanging about a place like that!

Black vs Red Coil

What is the differance between the red and black coils on the 6400/7900 series Dolmars? My stock 6401 has a black coil and it seems to out run my "8500" in small wood. I just got the stock saw running yesterday (thanks AS members help) so I haven't compared them in any big stuff yet. Is the black coil unlimited? Why won't they swap without changing the flywheel. So many questions!

:confused2:

Back