Sad day!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that sucks, I've got loaner saws I loan them to my brother. Husqvarna saws are the ones that don't get loaned out. I've got 031av, 032av stihls, Poulan 3400 the old
Tried and true wood cutter. Well maybe you can get er goin

it's fixable but finding a crank used is becoming one of the hardest modern saw parts to find i swear. if you stuck to it you could find one i'm sure or buy new. this is if it didn't send a needle up the top end.

50:1 won't ruin a saw. People run that ratio for years. I don't because I don't feel it provides enough margin. Running lean at 50:1 is more likely to score a cylinder than running lean with a mix that has more oil. Some saws are more susceptible to bearing damage at 50:1 that wouldn't have occurred otherwise. When you pull the saw down, you will likely be able to diagnose the culprit. (different failure causes leave telltale signs). I recently pulled a cylinder off a saw that I am convinced fell victim to a dull chain. Evidence on the chain and bar indicated it wasn't a "one time" occurrence.

50:1 won't ruin a saw. People run that ratio for years. I don't because I don't feel it provides enough margin. Running lean at 50:1 is more likely to score a cylinder than running lean with a mix that has more oil. Some saws are more susceptible to bearing damage at 50:1 that wouldn't have occurred otherwise. When you pull the saw down, you will likely be able to diagnose the culprit. (different failure causes leave telltale signs). I recently pulled a cylinder off a saw that I am convinced fell victim to a dull chain. Evidence on the chain and bar indicated it wasn't a "one time" occurrence.

i don't think you have seen the 385/390 crank problems. i've seen many running rich on 50:1 that last a good while but at that point they are to rich to be happy with. running them at spec and 50:1 puts a hurt'n on the big end. i've had a 390 and a 385 do it on me. i'm not saying it is for sure that but going by my experiences with the 385/390 it is most likely.

I will pull it apart sometime this week. What should I look for to know what happened. When do I decide it's not salvageable?

its always salvageable :)

just a matter of how much you want to put into it, time and ambition and $$ ..its simple :)

sometimes its better to part the thing out, or just sell it as a parts saw....

of course, you can look at this as a learning experience and a great opportunity to get more familiar with taking apart saws, the 385 is a bit ambitious compared to say ...a 350 ... but they aren't THAT different

i don't think you have seen the 385/390 crank problems. i've seen many running rich on 50:1 that last a good while but at that point they are to rich to be happy with. running them at spec and 50:1 puts a hurt'n on the big end. i've had a 390 and a 385 do it on me. i'm not saying it is for sure that but going by my experiences with the 385/390 it is most likely.
I've gotten a few that were less than 3 months old that lost them on 50:1 ultra with the unlimited coil on them.

So what you guys are saying is a 390/385 should at least be 40:1. That's good to know, I've got a Jred 2188, I don't exactly know what my ratio is but I always put in slightly less than a gallon to a 2.6 oz bottle of oil.

So what you guys are saying is a 390/385 should at least be 40:1. That's good to know, I've got a Jred 2188, I don't exactly know what my ratio is but I always put in slightly less than a gallon to a 2.6 oz bottle of oil.
Yes they can use more oil for sure.

Latest posts

Back