Sad news

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is sad news, Tom. Another legend has passed on. I remember Dr. Shigo playing his clarinet for me on my birthday at a seminar in Boone, NC several years ago. A fine man and a dear friend. I'll miss him. :cry:

The glad news: He lived a rich and full life, achieving much and influencing many, to this day. Let's hold a blowout wake Friday night at TCI. i'll bring the drums; anyone play clarinet? The saint will go marching in.

To acknowledge his death, let's celebrate his life!

RIP Doc,you were the best thing to happen to trees in thousands of years!!,thanks for all your hard work and educating us all,you will be sadly missed..

I'm with Guy we should celebrate his life,next week I intend to plant an oak tree in his honour..

What an accomplished man!

Dr. Shigo will be greatly missed, his achievemnts unprecidented and his life certainly one to celebrate. My condolences go out to his family.

Thank you Tom for passing this news on so quickly, my professor was one of Alex Shigo's many students.

You cannot be kidding? To be so young, I;ve never met him. WTF this guy is th grandfather of trees. He's done more about trees than i;;ll ever dream of.

Sad news, but he is in a far better place now. I read that his family will carry on with his passion about trees. :heart:

Dadatwins said:
Sad news, but he is in a far better place now. I read that his family will carry on with his passion about trees. :heart:

If enough arborists contacted the right media resources, I wonder if they could do a mini version of TV memorial similar to what occured for Steve Irwin.

Such an event could really educated the public about the kind of tree care and enjoyment that Dr. Shigo desired.

It's not like he just had an average influence on tree education and care.

Unlike you guys I never had the pleasure to meet Shigo...but I have read a few of his books. He was probably one of the first guys to advocate proper pruning and call awareness to the problems of tipping and topping. Sad to see him go, my condolences to his friends and family

M.D. Vaden said:
If enough arborists contacted the right media resources, I wonder if they could do a mini version of TV memorial similar to what occured for Steve Irwin.

Such an event could really educated the public about the kind of tree care and enjoyment that Dr. Shigo desired.

It's not like he just had an average influence on tree education and care.

A wonderful idea in my opinion. His life-work could do nothing but benefit all who are exposed to it, especially with so much misunderstanding about trees in the general public.

A sad day for trees and Arborists everywhere. Some of us younger guys don't even remember when topping was an accepted practice. Thank you Dr. Shigo.

Latest posts

Back