Safety Equipment recommendations.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recoil Rob

Recoil Rob

ArboristSite Lurker
I've started doing some clearing of trees on my property. Last weekend I felled the largest to date, about a 75ft maple. While limbing it I got careless and nicked a pair of Filson double canvas chaps. I put a couple of holes in them but no injury at all to me. Wake up call.

I've been looking around on the net for a real pair of chaps and there are many different makers from Husky's brand to some smaller makers like an outfit called Madsens. I've seen some with no brand name at all, I'm not sure who makes what, so I'm asking for some help.

I'm not doing this for a living, I have perhaps 20 trees to take down eventually but I want both legs intact when I'm done so I would appreciate some input on the best value in chaps, boots, and gloves. I have the hearing and eye protection already.

Thanks, Rob
:confused:

StIhL MaGnUm

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Rob,

I posted a link in the Forestry/Logging forum a week or so ago about a good deal on full wrap chaps,I have a pair and they are very hig quality and a great price.So here's the link again,also I agree w/ the other don't forget a helmet system,gloves,eye protection,and a good quality steel toe boot.Well hope this helps ya

http://www.labonville.com/cwds/inde....ShowCategory&Cat1=Safety Clothing&Cat2=Chaps

Later Rob.

buckwheat

buckwheat

ArboristSite Guru
The trend seems to be towards the ballistic chaps rather than the kevlar. When nicked, the compressed fibers flail out and are intended to clog the saw, and thus diminish the chance of injury. I picked up a pair at the Stihl dealer, but there are several good sources.
I also bought a pair of steel toe boots. Nothing fancy, but just an added safety precaution for the amount of cutting I do.
I'd also recommend a pair of plastic wedges and a cant hook. On bigger cuts when bucking, the wedges help prevent pinching, where there is a tendency to get reckless trying to get a running saw out of a tight cut. The cant hook serves the same purpose by giving you leverage to roll the bigger logs rather than cut to deep into it and have it pinch.
There was recently an interview on "This Old House" with a hearing doctor, a decibel meter, and common construction tools, including a chainsaw. It was downright scary - Hearing protection is a must; glad you thought of it.