Safety vs bar length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies! I will be cutting small (under 18") trees all summer to cut and sell firewood. Even a 14" bar would be fine for the most part. But doesn't that mean a faster spinning chain? And does that mean a greater kickback strength? What about bar length and controlling kickback if it happens?

I am a firm believer in safety gear. I also ride bikes, so the good habits there cross over to other areas...

I bought a Granberg 12v bar jig/file... Sharpening won't be an issue...
Position yourself away from the kickback zone ;)

Wear your PPE, watch as many instructional/safety videos as possible, ask advice, start out slow. This is the best way to reduce injury from kickback. There is no magic ratio of bar length to displacement. A ms 180 with a 12" bar can hurt you just as bad as a ms 660 with a 32" if your not careful.

My 2 cents 16 -18 on a strong 50cc saw 20-24 on a strong 60cc saw 70 and above get 25 and above bars based on balance for me. Nothing sucks more than having too much bar when working in a tight space.
Wanted to add the larger saws can of course handle the smaller bars under what I listed.( A strong 50) is an absolute blast with a 14 inch bar, 346xp or a 550

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Although I've had some pretty dramatic kickbacks in the past using longer bars, most of them are pretty suttle.
Most kickback injuries are the result of the operator over reacting to the reaction as with every action there is a reaction.
"i don't know what happened! The saw just jumped at me!"
I been on some jobs with an 18" bar on a 385. The 365 guys with their 32" bars ask,"what do you think you're gonna do with that?"
I just say, "go sit on a stump and watch me." Lol.

More about awareness of where your bar is, and an understanding of reactive forces.

Philbert
You might not have noticed, but about post #23 this thread kinda went off into the weeds - the context of the post you replied to was a little off......

Hi, I am new to chainsaws (still haven't bought my own yet), and am still researching. Is it safer or less safe, physics wise, to have a longer, or shorter bar as it relates to kickback. I am thinking of getting an Echo cs-500p, which has 3.6hp.... So is there any difference safety-wise between running a short, 14" bar vs running a longer 20" bar on this saw?

Thanks!

the modern pro even the domestic saw range is pretty much well designed & balanced to fit needs if you know your target jobs eg fire wood limbing general yard farm so your dealer should fit your body size and skills set with suitable saw model and bar & chain type.

your Echo cs-500p choice comes with in built auto chain brake system which is great additional protection from kick back

http://www.echo-usa.com/getattachment/b8f524a3-e8ed-489a-8d90-080c488cf8a2/CS500Pes12_111813.pdf

AUTOMATIC CHAIN BRAKE Kickback produced from the tip of the guide bar will trip the automatic chain brake. To make sure that the automatic chain brake operates properly, follow these steps: 1. Stop the engine. 2. Hold the saw with the guide bar approximately 35 cm (14 in.) above a wooden surface. Right hand should hold the rear handle, and left hand should hold the front handle. 3. Release the front handle and drop the end of the guide bar against the wooden surface. 4. The impact should lock the chain brake.

In regards to 16 18 or 20 inch bar physics i'd say consider 16 as your new user and this match better balance with the saws Hp output
Beware going longer bars,,, it may seem better but it slows chain speed can unbalance saw and expose operator to higher dangers

Back