Safty Equipment Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What safty gear do you use when you are working in the woods?

• Total voters

mercer_me

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I wear the fallowing when I working in the woods:
-Labonville Chaps
-Husqvarna Pro Forestry Helmet.
-Labonville Kevlar 2" High Heel Chainsaw Safety Steel Toe Boots (Warm Weather)
-Viking Bushwacker Ballistic Nylon Boot (Cold Weather)
-Kinco Insulated Gloves With Cuff (Cold Weather)
-Kinco Uninsulated Gloves (Warm Weather)

Husky helmet with ear muffins and screen.
Wolverine boots.
$1.79 white cotton gloves in winter.

The usual for me:

- Stihl Forestry helmet w/metal mesh
- Clear safety glasses under the helmet
- Labonville full-wrap chaps
- Georgia Boot steel toe boots
- Bogs steel toe rancher boots in really cold weather
- Antivibration gloves

I'm looking forward to trying/reviewing the following:

- chainsaw boots w/steel toe
- better noise reduction muffs
- Green Hulk antivibration gloves
- other forestry helmets

Last edited:
Stihl chaps....next pair will be Labonville full wrap
Pacific Kevlar helmet w/Peltor muffs and face screen
Cabela's steel toed boots
I try different gloves all the time

All of the above....I also will wear goggles when the wind is high, and if the tree has alot of brush the saftey shirt as well.

I find I'm not as religious on putting the chaps on this summer as I was in the winter. Most of what I'm doing now is hauling, so I only pull out a chainsaw for a few minutes here and there and I don't spend the time to put chaps on for that.

When Limbing/bucking I wear labonville reg. chaps, safety glasses and ear plugs. When Felling or doing particularly nasty brush work like clearing blowdowns I wear all of that plus a skull bucket hardhat.

Gloves, ear protection. Ben cuttining 30 yrs. not one bandaid yet from the saw. Got a few minor cuts from fences, branches, or what not, but never from the cutting equipment. Just be careful, never condone someone for wearing too much protective gear, I probably should get some chaps, an old feller told me just today that the right knee is the most likely place to get it.

Gloves, ear protection. Ben cuttining 30 yrs. not one bandaid yet from the saw.

20 years and the saw has never drawn blood. But I've cut two pairs of jeans in identical spots right above the knee over the years. Once I had some money last fall I bought some chaps since they're far cheaper then an ER co-pay. Heck, they're almost as cheap as a pair of jeans from the fat & lanky store so it's almost a trade-off if they just save one pair of denim :)

Chaps, helmet, gloves (Anti-vibe or Kinkos...Kinkos are the only work gloves I can find that fit my hands comfortably!)

Right now just a pair of good hiking boots...I have a pair of steel-toed firefighter boots I bought at a really, really good close-out price last year. When they arrived one foot fit, and the other didn't...which is how I discovered a problem that one of my legs was swelling. Making good progress on that problem so hopefully they'll fit by this fall. (I used to wear a pair of old leather fire boots...but after 15 years between fires and use out in the woods/yards, they were beyond shot)

Last edited:
I voted chaps, steel toes and helmet. I didn't include gloves, because I don't really consider them safety gear, more or less just work gear.

If I'm just bucking out in the open where there's no danger overhead, I lose the brain bucket and just wear ear protection.

Shoulda voted other as well, since safety glasses are always part of the gear.

Gloves, ear protection. Ben cuttining 30 yrs. not one bandaid yet from the saw. Got a few minor cuts from fences, branches, or what not, but never from the cutting equipment. Just be careful, never condone someone for wearing too much protective gear, I probably should get some chaps, an old feller told me just today that the right knee is the most likely place to get it.

Grammar Nazi feels compelled to correct the wrong;

Condone = approve.

Condemn =dis-approve.

Also, the most likely spot for a cut is above the left knee.

DIS-MISSED!

grammar-nazi.jpg

I voted chaps, steel toes and helmet. I didn't include gloves, because I don't really consider them safety gear, more or less just work gear.

In the Winter I allways wear gloves becouse it's cold. But in the the summer I only wear gloves when I'm pulling cable out and choking trees.

I cut wood 12 months a year...I can not wear gloves in winter I get too warm...

Full PPE...always. Never can out run the chain.
Labonv. Full Wrap Chaps ( they are hot ! )
Full helmet system ( Bailey's German top )
Steel toe boots ( flip flops optional).
Kevlar gloves ( recent buy after first hand blood while sharpening )

Now the "others":
1. Recertification course in Wilderness Medicine
What to do away from EMT or E.R. assistance--like 'woods'.

2. From #1-- heavy duty blood absorb pads e.g. real Kotex, not those skinny things, duck tape, sea whistle around my neck.

3. Many rural areas here in Downeast Maine are cell dead zones. So no cell phone.

4. CLP and/or GOL training---do one or the other. " I've been using a saw for
XX years without drawing blood. Who needs all that stuff ?":monkey:

No silly face macho cutter here. The same safety techniques for chainsaw work as with firearms, rock climbing, winter mountaineering. I want to choose when to not come down for breakfast.

Latest posts

Back