What Do You Wear For Boots While You Are Logging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercer_me

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I wear Labonville Kevlar 2" High Heel Chainsaw Safety Steel Box Toe in the summer and when it's warm and dry, and I wear Viking Bushwacker Ballistic Nylon Boot when it's cold or wet.

I wear the viking boots with bama socks year round. I stuck some Dr. Scholes insoles in as well... they are quite comfortable.

The key with the rubber boots in the warmer months is the bama socks!

Hathorn explorer loggers for spring/summer/fall,have 3 pair and rotate daily.Winter I wear whites pac boots or my Schnees pacs both with felt liners.The key is to rotate daily.:cheers:

The key to choosing proper boots is, of course, who is your target audience. When dealing with fellow cutters then I wear black White's that I leave dirty so it looks like I'm a logger. These can be worn with black or blue pants. Any shirt will do. When dealing with the authority having jurisdiction then it is hiking boots, blue jeans, and a generic environmental t-shirt under a long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up. For Fish and Game it is hiking boots and a flannel shirt, green pants and a Trout Unlimited baseball cap. When I meet with environmentalists I wear Earth Shoes (Crocs in the winter), no name jeans with colored webbing sewn on the cuffs and a back pocket missing. Match that with an Earth First t-shirt, 3 day stubble and no bath for a few days, and a few beads and I'm good to go.

I wear White's Pac's in the winter, and Wesco 12" Jobmaster's (that will be replaced with White's when they wear out) in the summer.
The only thing I do different when meeting with people mentioned in 2dogs post, is to pin a piece of mistletoe to my shirt tail. Then if they don't like me because of my boots (or any other reason), I tell them to take notice of the mistletoe pinned to my shirt tail as I walk away. ;)

Andy

:bang:
The key to choosing proper boots is, of course, who is your target audience. When dealing with fellow cutters then I wear black White's that I leave dirty so it looks like I'm a logger. These can be worn with black or blue pants. Any shirt will do. When dealing with the authority having jurisdiction then it is hiking boots, blue jeans, and a generic environmental t-shirt under a long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up. For Fish and Game it is hiking boots and a flannel shirt, green pants and a Trout Unlimited baseball cap. When I meet with environmentalists I wear Earth Shoes (Crocs in the winter), no name jeans with colored webbing sewn on the cuffs and a back pocket missing. Match that with an Earth First t-shirt, 3 day stubble and no bath for a few days, and a few beads and I'm good to go.

:bowdown: I believe you are now a fashionista. But I think Birkies are better to wear when meeting with the environmentalists. For your state, they'd best be the vegan style, not made out of leather. :biggrinbounce2:
I believe the same holds true for the Oregon crowd too.

My salmon shirt wore out. :bang: They don't make that print anymore!

He said BOOTS , not Hippy shoes

I wear Viberg 105T corks ..... summer , and Hoffman felt lined rubber bottom leather top corks until 20 below 20-below I wearwhite Bata bunny boots or Lacrosse Icemans .... I found out Hoffman's will put a cork sole on bunny boots so I am going to send them a pair .......I am probably the only man who actually wears Corks in Prudhoe Bay ................. Cork tracks on the Kaparuk .....

:ices_rofl:

boots

I only wear caulks for work. I rotate boots depending on the weather, and how much my feet sweat. I have a couple pair of goretex lined Danner Super Rainforests which I use year round, a pair of Hathorn Hi-lines, and when it's real hot and or I am on gentle ground I''ll wear Danner Pronghorns uninsulated by Hoffman. For me the rubber and rubber leather caulks just couldn't provide the fit, comfort or support I wanted.

WELL! There are Birkie hiking boots too. I wore a pair to the bottom and back of the Grand Canyon. If it is boots you want, they'll satisfy the enviros too, except they only came in leather.

I am one with the latest fad and I shop locally. That means I wear Kuliens for my logger harassment work until it snows. That reminds me, I need to remember to throw them in the pickup this morning. Then I switch to da Viking caulks, you know eh. I can actually find my size of the latter at the almost local saw shop. Den I put dem on and I talk like a Viking, you knowwwww. No lutafisk please.

I wear the Viberg 105's with a block heel until the snow starts flying. Then I switch to the orange rubber Vikings.

I'm still clogging along in my worn out Wesco caulks. I put new caulks in this summer so I have to at least wear them long enough to justify the cost. Like most caulks there's about a three hour time span when the caulks are just right...not too sharp and not too blunt.

I might get Kuliens next. Do they make them in adult sizes?

there's about a three hour time span when the caulks are just right

10/4 that. Then 1 week ok caulks, and 2 weeks of can't quite trust these caulks, then ball bearings. Argh. Maybe we have to have them sharper on hardwoods. Hard maple, hickory, toughies.

I keep losing the spikes. I'm not sure what is going on. I tighten them up, but then one or two are gone. I may give Kulien's a call, except they wanted me to get the permanent ones. I like to be able to replace them without a trip to Centralia.

Maybe I need an air compressor run tool to drive them in? Maybe it is the brand I bought?

The timer is going off. Time to go check the HUCKLEBERRY PIE made out of this year's berries. :hmm3grin2orange:

I can't understand why anyone would want the screw in caulks when drive caulks available. I replace my own at home but they last so much longer I don't do it often. To each his own I guess, maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Shoe Goo

. Un bolt all the corks , put a dab of shoe goo in the nut then screw the corks back in while the stuff is still nice and wet and goooy ......... Thats a Boom mans and tug boaters trick .. It makes a gasket that keeps the salt water away from the threads of the nut and cork .. I found it also eliminated loose or missing corks ... It is not enough adhesion to make changing them out when dull a problem ....... I use a cordless screw gun to change corks ... I cut the handle off a t handle wrench and save my wrist .. I set the torque real light when running them back in and do the final torquing by hand with a diff t wrench ..

Back