Salvage a storm topped sweet gum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfoot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a sweet gum that must have been topped by a storm some time ago (property is new to me) plus a couple broken branches. It looked pretty healthy last summer and fall. Can this be salvaged? I was going to do a clean cut of the trunk and ripped branches, they're pretty shredded (you can't really see in photo) - good idea? any other advice?

sweetgum1.jpg
sweetgum2.jpg

Yeah I'm considering taking it down, but was hoping some judicious pruning might give it a chance. See a fair number of trees topped on purpose, but this is pretty extreme.

Hi Greenfoot,

A thoughtful, three-year pruning plan could help the tree establish a new central leader.
If the tree is well placed for shade and you are ok with the gumballs, you could keep it.
You could always take it down later.

Sweetgum has interlocked fibers and is a bear to split with a maul and wedges.
A good place for hydraulic splitting, or cutting rounds very short.

https://www.wood-database.com/sweetgum/

Thanks and good health, Weogo

I would just let the tree grow for a few more years and see what limb structure develops. For the most part it is not a good practice to remove 'clean up' a broken trunk after it has been growing for several years since the damage.

It looks to not threaten people or property. If is was mine I'd just sit back and watch it happen for the next decade or so.

A little habitat for wildlife isn't a bad thing.

I would just let the tree grow for a few more years and see what limb structure develops. For the most part it is not a good practice to remove 'clean up' a broken trunk after it has been growing for several years since the damage.

It looks to not threaten people or property. If is was mine I'd just sit back and

It looks to not threaten people or property. If is was mine I'd just sit back and watch it happen for the next decade or so.

A little habitat for wildlife isn't a bad thing.

Going forward, any newly established leader will have a weak attachment point though.

Hi Greenfoot,

A pruning rule of thumb is to remove no more than 1/3 of a tree per year.

So I came up with a three year plan for trees that I see as needing attention:
First year - identify new central leader. Prune the most obvious competition for light, in particular anything higher.
Second year, prune second third of competition.
Third year, prune last third of competition.
I would then pretty much follow Del's advice and wait a decade and see where the tree want to go.

Humid summers are common here so a common fruit tree form is more open in the center to minimize fungal diseases.
In dry areas like Colorado, a more dense crown can minimize moisture loss.
For specimen yard shade trees, best is probably to let the tree grow mostly how it would naturally which is a pyramid shape.
Many bird species like the seeds.

TheJollyLogger's comment,"Going forward, any newly established leader will have a weak attachment point though." is accurate. And with an established yard tree you might want to just accept the risk.

Thanks and good health, Weogo

Got it, thank you for the feedback all. Think I'll do some judicious pruning this month, and let it grow for a while. It doesn't pose any risk where it is. I do have a young magnolia I need to plant, but don't think I would put it there anyway.

Latest posts

Back