Save Your Maple!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Sorry for the clutter here but! I just got off the phone with a timber representative. Apparently a board foot of Maple, the Asians are paying up to $6 per board foot. Also I think Cherry logs are getting about $4 per board foot, at least, and people are taking logs 10" DBH no problem - Cherry. I will have more information at the end of this coming weekend hopefully. This would be very good news for us all.

I know a guy in Juneau, WI that will pay .20/bf for 9ft soft maples if you yard up a truck load. Box, Silver, Norway. As long as he can get some clean boards out of it.

Well fellas, I talked with the guy a few minutes ago and here is what he was telling me.

"Hard Maples are selling for $4500-$6000 per thousand (board feet?)"

"Red Oaks are selling for I think about $2000 - $4000 per thousand"

"Black Walnut is selling for $8000 per thousand."

"You can expect to get approximatley $3000 of timber out of an acre of land"

The guy was saying that he is going to help me a lot to make money off of trees. He is going to introduce me to several people and teach me some things. For some reason I have a funny feeling about this guy... I guess I will just have to see how things work out in the future. These numbers do sound rather high for what you guys are saying.

Trreman,

Something doesn't add up there!! An acre of land can easily have 5-20 good trees on it. (Right John L?) Plus many others. That's 1500-20000 bf or more.

I don't live in hard wood country, but I think only a few trees bring such top dollar. Ask gypologger John, he knows the market backwards and forwards, it sounds like.

listen to Rob something sounds really fishy with tghis guy You already have a gut feeling about it so maybe you should just trust your instincts:confused:

I just want to say thank you guys, for putting up with my foolishness here. I spoke with the big boss today. The short story is that I talked with the wrong guy. The guy who I did speak with, the big boss said that he is not a good person to deal with, and he does not talk with him for that reason. I was told today by the big boss that I shall be recieving a phone call when they are ready to go and three people shall meet, The Big Boss, the project manager, and myself. I know that this meeting will be in the next month, so at least it's something to look forward to.

Again, sorry for wasting your time.

Treeman - just hopped in here after a month of forestry and snow plowing. If you want an informed opinion about the value of logs or lumber cut from them, email me directly, or Darin can get ahold of me at work, and I will help you.

I deal in this every day as one aspect of my profession. I would reply here, but my time to check the site regularly is limited, so your answer probably would not come in a timely manner.

Am I still the official, professional forester of Arboristsite Darin? See ya.

Well, John, you haven't been to work for so long, I think you are loosing the label.:eek: John Lambert is pretty darn good from what I hear. Little Jack must be taking all your time. My time is coming in Sept. Take care!!!!

Treeman82,

You are quoting veneer prices. Veneer trees will be a very small percentage of any given stand.

Anyone stating how much an acre of trees are worth, site unseen and without any other information, isn't worth talking to.

He must have talking about very high quality logs for that price. The last I knew, stumpage prices for here in western MA were about $400/mbf for red oak, $300/mbf for maple, $500/mbf for cherry. Of course these are stumpage prices so obviously cutting and bringing them to the mill yourself would yield a higher price, but not even close to what that guy quoted you.

Darin - congratulations to you and your wife! You two will have a blast. I guarantee you that your wife will go shopping quite frequently, and bring back all sorts of "cute" things that she will wash, fold, pile, refold and move about the room 3 or 4 times. The orders will be small at first, then the number of shopping bags will increase until the baby comes. She will never say that she is "ready". The baby will arrive. Then, you will have about 2-3 months where everything is pretty low-key, but then the baby will start to get tight in the 0-6 month sleepers, and then the shopping starts again.....

At this point, with my wife following the above logic, Jack has about 112 - 24-month sleepers, 34 pair of feet things, 96 bibs ( you can't have too many bibs - take it from a pro) and 6 or 7 snow suits. Stock up on diapers by the case now, and wipes and maybe get a bottle of grip water - in the interest of everyone sleeping. A battery operated swing is a God-send and don't turn down offers of help when the baby arrives.

Just a few observations from Arboristsite's no-longer-so-official (but) professional forester:blob2: .

Regarding timber prices - I rarely see standing timber sold as a property (not individual trees) for more than $600. thousand. Add up to $200 to get that material cut and to a mill, and yoou have $800/M. Prices significantly beyond that apply to veneer quotes on a significantly smaller portion of any timber sale.

That is what I've been hearing. A few high grade logs off of one property that make the bulk of the purchace.

One needs to look at the value, if if price is the intersection of the supply and demand curves, then a lot of high grade loggs would bring the demand down.

then you need to "open them up" to gind the true value.

Which is whay the buyers are alway the guys who make the most money. They are the ones realy taking the biggest risk.

Back