saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ms200t

Been up in the trees for fifteen years now, maybe more.

Like most have been saying, the Stihl MS200T is BOSS - Power, Light, Torque deep in wood, Dependable in all positions, and YES I cut with one hand quite often in th etree when it is called for.

Anything less is a waste of time - from a professional viewpoint, however yjhe 338xpt is said to have some kick to it.

STIHL 020AV, 020T, MS200T, 026, MS361, 044, MS440, 064, MS660
HUSQVARNA 350, 254XP, 262XP, 372XP, 575XP, 394XP, 3120XP
MAKITA 6401, 7901
EFCO 165

I would like to try a 338xpt because it reminds me of my first top handle saw ,stihl 015L, but I kept hearing about the 372xp and so far i have not been inpresed with mine. Maby after i muffler port it i will get some tork, right now it is all bark.

Been up in the trees for fifteen years now, maybe more.

Like most have been saying, the Stihl MS200T is BOSS - Power, Light, Torque deep in wood, Dependable in all positions, and YES I cut with one hand quite often in th etree when it is called for.

Anything less is a waste of time - from a professional viewpoint, however yjhe 338xpt is said to have some kick to it.

STIHL 020AV, 020T, MS200T, 026, MS361, 044, MS440, 064, MS660
HUSQVARNA 350, 254XP, 262XP, 372XP, 575XP, 394XP, 3120XP
MAKITA 6401, 7901
EFCO 165
:bowdown: right on.

I had a 338, and was not happy with the balance. oil and fuel tanks both on the bar end, made it front heavy, the 200t balances perfect on the trigger.

and huskies never start as consistently as a stihl, at least for me.:hmm3grin2orange:

And I run my saw one-handed, upside down, whatever.:chainsawguy:

I've run Huskies since the 80's. They made some fine saws over the years: 262xp, 372xp, I even like the 350, which was going for $300.00 when they still made them. But I was never really satisfied with their top handle saws, namely the 338xp (cali) and it's predecessor. Seems I'm always tweaking on that ^%$# carbeurator. On takedowns I'd switch over to the 350 when wood got bigger than 6" diameter. Then I watched some videos where AS members were doing takedowns with the 200t. That, along with all the posts on ms200t vs 338xpt convinced me to give it a try. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

switch over to larger saw for 6" wood?
man.i honestly feel like im running a totally different saw than some of you guys make out the 338 to be, and i'm just running the 35cc 334t version!
my 334 can pull its way through at least 12" diameter red oak/sugar maple with no problem.heck,sometimes i keep going to 16" before calling up a big saw for removals.sure its working it of course but its not like a slug or anything lol.
i should do up a vid on my next removal showing my 334.(and no pranks-i haven't changed it into the 338 or anything haha.)
hard to understand some comments here honestly.some of you guys have me really scratching my head.some comments are night and day off my personal experience is all i'm all saying.

I will cut up to 20" - 24", readily, unless its a lot of cuts. then its up the fleet I go. a 200t tuned is an awesome saw. gotta tweak em.

of course an 880 with a 4' bar works up there, too.:chainsawguy:
attachment.php

Notice the clint eastwood cigar action going on.:laugh:

Last edited:
Hello all!! well i took the time to read all of your replys to my questions and advice about the MS200T or a Husky 338XPT. i decided to go with the 200T. So i called up my boys at the Stihl dealer i use and work with on occasion and had them prep a new 200T with a 14" bar for me. I used it all day this past Saturday, ran 5 tanks of gas through it doing 2 take downs and 5 prunings. What an AWESOME saw...!!! just like all my other Stihls it is full of power, has great balance, and is just an all around great saw! Thank you guys again!!
Travis

how well do you know them?

Hello all!! well i took the time to read all of your replys to my questions and advice about the MS200T or a Husky 338XPT. i decided to go with the 200T. So i called up my boys at the Stihl dealer i use and work with on occasion and had them prep a new 200T with a 14" bar for me. I used it all day this past Saturday, ran 5 tanks of gas through it doing 2 take downs and 5 prunings. What an AWESOME saw...!!! just like all my other Stihls it is full of power, has great balance, and is just an all around great saw! Thank you guys again!!
Travis

make sure they pull the muffler screen and richen up the H screw a hair.saw comes alive then.

I used Stil for 20 years , I live in Memphis , there are 4 Stil shops here! Can't get parts , service or saws! There's a Husky shop , Colonial Hardware , they have every Husky saw on display with lots more in the back , ALL PARTS , if they don't have ,they will get it ASAP , and they can fix anything fast!

I have a pile of dead stil's , I only buy Husky!

Tha is not typical of Stihl anywhere I have seen. Must be at least 10 dealers within 15 miles of me and a much smaller town. Several have large selections, ample parts, quick order time and great service.

Husky on the other hand, only one dealer 25 miles away, which is also a Stihl Dealer.

Latest posts

Back