Saw cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwatts

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to the site and have been learning alot from you guys. My question is how do you keep your saws looking so good?

Josh

I take a blow gun to my saws after each use especially around the sprocket cover, WD40 all the plastic, bar & chain. It helps keep the dirt and dust off. Then again, I am just meticulous with everything so I may just be weird.

compressed air, remove covers and brush clean. amorall multi purpose cleaner works great and wont strip lettering

Yup, that good old fashioned soap and water for plastic, and that Simple Green for anything that gets too yucky. Toothbrush works well for cylinder fins.

Blow gun and shop towels after each day in the timber. I wash the filters in soapy water when its needed.

[QUOTE I clean mine with an industrial soap, It really cuts the oil and sawdust. I also take bar and covers off and blow it out with the air compressor.[/QUOTE]

+1

First I take off the bar, chain, chain guard cover and use the air hose to blow everything out. Then I use Purple Cleaner concentrate (buy it at Wal Mart in the gallon jug) in a spray bottle, let it set for a couple of minutes to do its work; then rinse with water, blow out clean and dry with air hose and it looks great. Re-fuel, re- oil, restart the saw to lubricate the chain and bar. Shut it off, wipe it with a dry rag; and put it away for next use.

I take the side cover off, clean it out with a brush and other tools as needed, take the bar and chain off and clean the bar out and lube good with WD40, brush off the rest of the saw, re-assemble and wipe everything down with a soft shop towel and store till the next weekend.

:clap:

Thanks for the tips. Just went out and bought a MS 270 today, so I now know how to keep it looking nice.

Josh

Cleaning

The best thing you can use for cleaning your saw is compressed air and brake parts cleaner. The brake parts cleaner can get anywhere, it will burn, will not cause rust and will cut bar oil like it is nothing. When cleaning the air filter use a (very low) PSI so that you don't burst filter membrane.

The brake parts cleaner beats anything out there, and is the safest for the electronics, etc.

CLEAN EM ?????? i dont chew bubble gum, and dont have enough black tape so i let the crud remain to keep em together.

brake cleaner? Wont that eat paint? I blow em off when I can, and wipe em, a bit of toothbrushin dont hurt........

actually, I dont ever use my saws, they just sit on a shelf in the basement. the tree I cut down the other day, i borrowed some husky saws so I woodn't get my Stihs dirty hahahahahahaha if you believe that i have sum......some kind of sumthin to sell you...............

Stihl really is better than the others. IT may well be overrated, but in general you will get what you pay for.

Short of blowing out the air filter from time to time I don't ever clean my saws. Is there any benefit other than cosmetics that can warrant this time expenditure?

brake cleaner? Wont that eat paint? I blow em off when I can, and wipe em, a bit of toothbrushin dont hurt........

actually, I dont ever use my saws, they just sit on a shelf in the basement. the tree I cut down the other day, i borrowed some husky saws so I woodn't get my Stihs dirty hahahahahahaha if you believe that i have sum......some kind of sumthin to sell you...............

Stihl really is better than the others. IT may well be overrated, but in general you will get what you pay for.

I have found that some types of brake clean will remove paint. Any degreaser will do the job just fine. Some brake cleaners can also be very flammible and dangerous to inhale so if used be sure to use caution and us in open area

Latest posts

Back