Saw cuts out at high speed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got an 028 that cuts out and typically dies at high speed. It will start right back up again. I'm not actually cutting anything when this happens.

I can usually (not always) accelerate slowly to full throttle and it wont cut out. It will idle indefinitely. And low-mid speeds are usually. It cuts out very quickly and usually dies completely but sometimes it will catch again before it dies. It's not like a bog it just cut out and dies.

It doen't do this all the time, but very frequently. More so once it's warmed up.
I picked the saw up used, went through it. The piston had some slight scoring, but decided not to replace until I had the saw running. I have rebuilt the carburetor. I have a fuel line to put on still. The existing line is cracked but does not appear to be leaking.
It also had a #RCJ7Y plug when I believe it calls for a RCJ6Y plug, I don't know that a plug being off one heat range matters but it might so I'll mention it. The saw is difficult to get started initally but I believe that may be due to the fact that the choke is not working. Once I get it running it's one pull to start. Just got the thumb switch today to fix the choke.
Saw doesn't feel too hot.
After I rebuilt the carb I warmed it up, made some H/L/I adjustments to it. Made a few test cuts and it seemed ok. Couple of days later this comes up.
Any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks

not getting gas at high revs -> cutting out... just replace that fuel line and you should be fine, could also be some dirt in carb/fuel line...

Replaced fuel line, new plug, and discovered that the choke lever wasn't broke, I just didn't realize that you needed to pull the throttle to set the choke.
Started easy reved nice, cut a few logs worked nice. Stihl dealer said the fuel line also. I was thinking electrical since it cut out so fast, he said electrical will typically not allow the saw to restart till it cools.

Good call on the fuel line Blis

Back