Saw for um...er...wife...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claybustr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My wife was helping me clean up a creek bottom today and she told me she wants her own saw. She has never ran a saw and to be honest she's more comfortable in a country club than the country. But she is trying. I can't help but appreciate that. Any thoughts on a good starter saw for a complete nooby? I was thinking about picking up a used Stihl 192. She won't be felling trees. Mostly just cleaning up ground clutter and maybe some smaller tops.

I'm still a little in shock. Not only was she busting her ass but she wants a saw. I guess teaching her how to shoot is paying dividends.

021 Stihl was my wife's first and she loved it. Can be picked up reasonable and are good light saws that if she doesn't use you probably will. I wanted a saw with a chain brake to start her on and a rear handle so she would get the hang of a conventional saw.

Small cc and rear handle is the direction I would go.

My wife knew how to shoot when I met her at a deer lease our parents had. :D

Sounds like a winner to me. If she initiated the idea, by all means let her have a go at it. My wife doesn't mind watching me work all day. She will mow the lawn occasionally though.:hmm3grin2orange:

I think she would Deserve a nice Brand New saw like a Jonsered CS 2240 or a Echo CS-370.

Take her to a dealer and see what she likes!

Edit: Do NOT forget all the safety equipment!

Last edited:
my wife loves running my ms170,, she will run the bigger saws but the 170 is perfect for a woman

My wife will never want a chainsaw, (I'm thankful). I did many years ago, try to teach her how ro shoot. She picked her own guns and had a Remington .22, a Winchester model 12 a Remington 1100 and a 3200. I found after a period of time that the safest place to stand was just about where she intended to shoot.
She doesn't shoot anymore and I'm still alive.

I would get her the smallest, rear handled, REAL saw that I wouldn't mind using myself someday in case she grew tired of it. Would love to get a 550xp for my wife, but she would have no interest lol! The ms 150 looks pretty dang light for a "pro" saw. For non pro saws though, I guess I would go with the MS 170 for Stihl, and 435 prolly for Husky, thought the MS 150 makes as much power pretty much as the 170, and is smaller. I'm sure it's more $$ though.

Husqvarna 346OE. Perfect saw, not to heavy, professional series, lots of guts and the honey will respect you in more ways than you could imagine. Teach the little lady how to use it safely and productively. If you go with some low budget saw it will reflect on you.................then no one will be happy:hmm3grin2orange:

First impression that my wife had for my Sister was a meeting at Mansfield Oh fair grounds. My Sister and Brother-in-Law raised draft ox/steers for exhibition show and pulling as well as working them in the woods. My sister preping some wood for the exhibition and grabbed up the 026 to work up some telephone pole size lengths in the arena. Lets just say that the bar got raised on my city girl. My Sister is a force of nature, large & small animal vet skills, equipment operator, CDL 50+ft coast to coast. On a job I'd take her over most others, sorry guys.

U R a luck guy if she know which end of that saw to use.

I would stay away from top handle saws from a safety perspective for a first time user.

I'm sorry I know it doesn't really help answer your question, but the other day my girlfriend referred to the 440 she was using in her S-212 class (wildland fire saws) as "the little saw." Don't underestimate them girls when they set their mind to something...

Mine has taken a liking to our Solo 630 with 12" bar, its nice and light, starts easy for her and has a bumperlink chain, just wish she could keep the tip out of the dirt once in a while:bang: and learn to sharpen it too..

Latest posts

Back