Saw I.D.?...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorlivin247

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Had this laying in the pile of parts saws...Need to do some cleaning to fund my CAD purchases...Not sure what it is, but i think it is a older Homelite?...The paint color was GOLD before I ran it thru the wash at work...The piston is 48mm just guessing w/ soldier and a ruler...The P/C look like they are in great condition as well as the case and rear handle...It does have sprak b/c it tickled me when I was turning it over after pulling it out of the wash...Just got home and poured oil down the intake and plug hole to preserve until I find it a new home...Does anybody have any ideas so I can send it in the right direction...Thanks in advance...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That looks a lot like a Craftsman/Roper 3.7. The absolute biggest pain in the but saw I ever worked on. Very strongly built though. This was the saw my bro let fall out of the back of his pickup. It's not the same as yours, but very similiar.

381005874_AMMWj-S.jpg

381005865_ExiWk-S.jpg

381005842_ekhty-S.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 or 3 old craftsman/ropers in the garage...I am sure it is not one of them...The rear handle and the postition of the fuel tank cap looks just like the XL400 I have, but it is a manual oiler...Or atleast that is what I think b/c the oil cap is on the bar side and not the top...:confused:...The gold or brownish paint is what is throwing me off?...

What about a military issue Homlite XL-12? I had a generator at on time with a XL-12 power head and was painted the olive drab color.

Lots of saws had Comet brand clutches. They seemed to be a supplier to the saw industry like Walbro or Tillotson.

The Lombard Lightening was a series of saws that found itself re-badged with regional branding a lot. Cool saws that had some power.

Hoffco/Comet would be one of the possible re-brands.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back