Saw modifications vs. Stock saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time you will see modified saws being used professionally is when the person paying the bills is doing the cutting.
It's really hard to put a ported saw in someone else's hands, even good employees can do things that make you want to scream.
That's the truth in most cases. The ported saw is more apt to help small operations as they're more reliant upon being self sufficient. A ported saw is only going to benefit a handful of cutters. Like I've always been told don't cut faster than you can think

How come that the manufacturers don't do factory porting of their saw engines, when such a boost in performance (power/weight ratio increase) actually is possible. One downside is of course a louder saw, after a muffler mod.
I've wondered this too. I've been told that porting a saw shortens it's life expectancy. Is that true? I have a hard time believing that when people put the kind of money into them that they do. Also, like traktorz said, if it is that big of a benefit why don't the manufacturers offer it from the factory?

I've wondered this too. I've been told that porting a saw shortens it's life expectancy. Is that true? I have a hard time believing that when people put the kind of money into them that they do. Also, like traktorz said, if it is that big of a benefit why don't the manufacturers offer it from the factory?
Why don't they offer diesel trucks that are 500hp from the factory?

I've been told that if done right, and not taken to extremes, porting can and will extend the life of your saw due to cooling....and a bunch of other stuff I could care less about to be honest. I just don't see the point in taking a perfectly good saw apart for my use, anyway, but I can see the point that cuttinties makes in that the life expectancy is short to begin with logging-wise, so the extra RPMs wouldn't hurt it in the long run I wouldn't think

I'm going to kick a bee's nest here I think... but its a conversation that needs to be had from time to time. And that is why modify a perfectly good new stock saw? Reason this is on my mind is this winter I've had that conversation a lot with guys who pass through my farm. Mostly with guys who have their own logging outfits or farmer types who like myself have to do a lot of cutting.

First... I have to confess I like tweaking my saws. its a derivative of being in some form of motorsports for as long as I can remember. Can't do the dirt bike thing any more and since I do a lot of saw work, that modus operandi is now applied to my personal saws. Its fun, a hobby, and some social aspects for the GTG community I guess. From the results I get on the video channel there are quite a few who do the same thing for the same reasons. I get it. AND I will continually advance my state of the art because it's what I do. As I learn and add dimensions to the hobby, I will share that experience with those interested. STILL under the umbrella of a hobby that just happens to make the real work on the farm more enjoyable.

But back to the real world. Most of the true professional's I've crossed paths with this winter have a completely different set of priorities. They have folks they hire, provide tools to get work done, and those tools need to start, cut, and continue that cycle for as long as possible in all conditions imaginable. None of those folks I have talked to have any interest What so ever of taking those tools to a state outside of manufactures warrantee's number one, and to place where variables have been added that MIGHT make them less useable or fail in the extremes in weather or other conditions. They may just have to run dirty...or in the snow in extreme cold....and things we wouldn't normally require of a hobby saw. To those folks "modded" saws are ridiculous. A clean filter, tight and sharp chain, and different weights of bar oil is as far as they will go. They will take what ever their dealer recommends to stay within warrantee boundary's and go with it. Because if a saw fails, the warrantee is part of the cost structure.

And then there are the small operators. They do like a more snappy saw both from a production perspective and because they at some point have enjoyed their craft and are interested in the equipment they use. Similar to the "personal" saw for the bigger operators.

So the question is....how relevant are modded saws? Out side of this little cyber bubble called arboristsite? Of the pro's out there, how much of the production work gets done with these one off monsters we have created? How many are simply trophies or bling for GTG's

For me, when I really have to work, I can tell you I'm less and less interested in large displacement loud saws with too much compression to start easily. The saws I use are getting smaller and lighter. And the ones I pick up for a long day are the ones easiest to use and easiest on my back... But I do like taking older or underdog saws to a higher performance level for chits and grins. AND they do get wrapped into the work cycle as well... but that's my hobby. Not something that makes sense in the real world.

Just curious on your collective thoughts.
They're obviously pretty relevant and have a strong following, as people pay their bills and feed their families by doing it

I've been told that if done right, and not taken to extremes, porting can and will extend the life of your saw due to cooling....and a bunch of other stuff I could care less about to be honest. I just don't see the point in taking a perfectly good saw apart for my use, anyway, but I can see the point that cuttinties makes in that the life expectancy is short to begin with logging-wise, so the extra RPMs wouldn't hurt it in the long run I wouldn't think
Some professionals can get years out of a saw.....but not many. Stock or ported life expectancy weighs in the balance of a lot of variables.

I doubt that commercial cutters can get very many years out of a chainsaw. At least my relatives that cut commercially didn't. A couple of years at best I think.

Their saws were used , sometime abused, and many didn't see very much TLC. The saws were tools and used as such. Easier to use um up and buy new ones, rather than take the time, make the effort, and pay the cost, to repair them.

I doubt that commercial cutters can get very many years out of a chainsaw. At least my relatives that cut commercially didn't. A couple of years at best I think.

Their saws were used , sometime abused, and many didn't see very much TLC. The saws were tools and used as such. Easier to use um up and buy new ones, rather than take the time, make the effort, and pay the cost, to repair them.

Exactly what most I converse with say around here. Just remember, its the enthusiast that spends time here. AND some who make a living with saws are enthusiasts as well.

They're obviously pretty relevant and have a strong following, as people pay their bills and feed their families by doing it
Relevant here. What maybe ten-fifteen builders can feed their families?? They (builders) come and go. but the factories remain. Some shops use the mods as a differentiation with other dealers....AND the percentage of saws modded isn't very high. Not to be an arse, but if none of the speed shops existed, saws would still be working in the woods. Builders aren't necessary to the wood cutting industries...BUT Folks being who they are like having a special tool....and will spend money on top of money when they can afford it to get one. Places like Madsens provided better mouse traps to the pro's in their areas, places like arboristsite.com spread the word to the regular guy and effectively built the business as we now know it... :)

BS thread to
Relevant here. What maybe ten-fifteen builders can feed their families?? They (builders) come and go. but the factories remain. Some shops use the mods as a differentiation with other dealers....AND the percentage of saws modded isn't very high. Not to be an arse, but if none of the speed shops existed, saws would still be working in the woods. Folks being who they are like having a special tool....and will spend money on top of money when they can afford it to get one.
Changed up your post a bit it seems?

Latest posts

Back