Saw modifications vs. Stock saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck yeah. :)

My bother in law just sold his entire herd. About 65 critters.

He's gonna take a year off cows to restore all his fields.

Back to saws. The liability thing is an 800lb gorilla in everyone's business. Good thing that saw didn't go pyrotechnic in his garage and take down the house..:) we are all good when we are buddy's. ...but the insurance companies live for those type of events... worries me because I know their mentality. Right now its a warranty issue regardless who's at fault...a minor one and relatively low cost.. :)

Heck yeah. :)

My bother in law just sold his entire herd. About 65 critters.

He's gonna take a year off cows to restore all his fields.

Cant blame him! Its hard work. We do our own hay...and both my wife and I hold down jobs... looking to turn this 265 acres into a cash..cow? To ease the transition to retirement..:)

Back to saws. The liability thing is an 800lb gorilla in everyone's business. Good thing that saw didn't go pyrotechnic in his garage and take down the house..:) we are all good when we are buddy's. ...but the insurance companies live for those type of events... worries me because I know their mentality. Right now its a warranty issue regardless who's at fault...a minor one and relatively low cost.. :)

He's not looking to blame anyone.

And I'd be hesitant to take blame.......but I do want to see it fixed.

He's not looking to blame anyone.

And I'd be hesitant to take blame.......but I do want to see it fixed.

Sometimes its just... statistics. Nothing anyone did, just some odd combination of variables. We know that. Its not "fair" but the way the legal system looks at things is to find the money, then build an argument as to why it needs to flow in one direction or another. The Husqvarna legal types are paid to deflect, the insurance types as well, and when there is an accident; no one wins really except those who are in the business of extracting money in the form of "settlements". Ugly as it is, You know and I know that its all part of the equation. I have to wonder how many legal claims the big companies are fighting. Dealers carry insurance. Its all part of the business model. Its one of the reasons I choose not to get into the business at a "for real" level unless I do it all the way with a dealership, store front, insurance etc. One thing I can say, is if a saw I work on has catastrophic failure on something I touched shortly after its delivered, I'll just fix it. No questions asked, regardless of who's at fault. But I only work on family, friends , basically folks I know. Still there is liability, but the risk is less.. all part of the equation. Don't want to be a wet blanket.....but this a reality the real dealers and manufacturing companies deal with and the cost is part of the cost of their products. A game of statistics. And the more product a given company has out there, the more likely something is going to go wrong. I hate this subject.. as I am certain most don't want this in a happy thread like this one.

SO back to "Ugly" calves and why saws need to be modded for me..... :)

We had the first calf of the season today...hopefully fourteen more to follow.

Last year we sold the bull calves in December for $1100-$1200 each....the ones born the prior spring. Thinking of selling the heifer calves that are too small to breed in June.....6 of them. Buy full sized breeding stock and accelerate the numbers a bit.

We had the first calf of the season today...hopefully fourteen more to follow.

Last year we sold the bull calves in December for $1100-$1200 each....the ones born the prior spring. Thinking of selling the heifer calves that are too small to breed in June.....6 of them. Buy full sized breeding stock and accelerate the numbers a bit.
That's the best thing to do really unless you're looking for a certain bloodline you have in the heifers. A lot quicker to turning profit. Young heifers have more problems than the 2nd calf ones.

Its not "fair" but the way the legal system looks at things is to find the money, then build an argument as to why it needs to flow in one direction or another. The Husqvarna legal types are paid to deflect, the insurance types as well, and when there is an accident; no one wins really except those who are in the business of extracting money in the form of "settlements"
This is why I brought up the UL listing. I don't know what's in the standards chainsaws are tested to, but I do design products to meet other UL safety standards. The fact is that if one of our products were involved in some mishap, and it turned out that it was modified in (which is slightly more ridiculous than modifying a chainsaw), then we'd wash our hands of it.

...........then we'd wash our hands of it.

hoff-soap-dispenser.jpg

My saws are either lightly modded or full xb and there's not a person in the company who wouldn't prefer to use them over the stock ones, even though the bigger saws aren't as restricted in Oz to begin with.

The 192t and 201t are pretty choked up stock, one of the climbers bought my modded 192t to use instead of a stock 201. I'm going through the company saws as I can, getting them right and lightly modding some. The company saws will only get muff mods, ignition on some and tune ups, have been getting good feedback so far.
The boss is an ex climber, he's happy if the boys are happy and productive, he's also saving money over Stihl repair bills.

The climbers that have used my saws absolutely love them, 661xb being everybody's favourite and no one can believe the 261cxb is just 50cc. A few ported saws might survive if they were used by only one or two people but not for general use, not the way stuff gets worked here.
Reckon mtronic is a good direction for saws in the work environment too

Back