Saw modifications vs. Stock saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a case could be made that with some saws, not all but some, modding them gets them back to what stock saws were in years past. Right off the bat, just muff mods to choked up and cat installed mufflers, and screw limited carbs that come designed to not really let the saws perform. That doesn't touch ports and size and shape and timing, but just mufflers and carbs can sometimes really benefit from some small but important mods.
BINGO ............. no tree service in my parts wants to spend hundreds on a ported saw, but they will spend under $50 to modify a muffler. Some like to trade for a muffler mod .............. "You stump grind these here 2 small stumps and I'll give that saw a little more power for you" .......... done deal.

I have a few tree service outfits that I take care their "really large saws" (70cc-90cc :laugh:) and they love muffler mods and re-tuned carbs. They wont deal or spend on the smaller saws as they say that they have too many that get chewed up too fast. I ask and find out that only a select few run the "big guys" :laugh: and they like the extra power a good muffler mod delivers, and they like the price for it.

Around my area, tree outfits running muffler mods for the 60cc-70cc and up is realistic, porting anything is unheard of.

Different strokes for different folks. My dirt bike and snowmobile are ridiculously stupid fast, bored out, high performance parts and exhaust, VP C12 race fuel, just balls to the wall. But my chain saws? Meh... I just need it to start everyday, have a sharp chain, muffler mod, and run all day. Someone else has the balls to the wall chain saw and stock dirt bike.:dizzy:

I use race fuel and oil in the bike and snowmobile......some use it in chain saws[emoji3]

BINGO ............. no tree service in my parts wants to spend hundreds on a ported saw, but they will spend under $50 to modify a muffler. Some like to trade for a muffler mod .............. "You stump grind these here 2 small stumps and I'll give that saw a little more power for you" .......... done deal.

I have a few tree service outfits that I take care their "really large saws" (70cc-90cc :laugh:) and they love muffler mods and re-tuned carbs. They wont deal or spend on the smaller saws as they say that they have too many that get chewed up too fast. I ask and find out that only a select few run the "big guys" :laugh: and they like the extra power a good muffler mod delivers, and they like the price for it.

Around my area, tree outfits running muffler mods for the 60cc-70cc and up is realistic, porting anything is unheard of.
Repped!![emoji106] kinda what i said above but better thought out and way more words[emoji1]

I was going to add.... several of the saw builders are old retired guys with skills...and bored with no place to put them until they discovered Arborist Site! ::)

Something I understand...

(Just teasing...but there is a bit of truth in that)

Yep.

I started because I was bored......and drag racing became too costly.

Bingo. Bet you both represent many here. Some people dump money into boats...doesn't mean they are fishermen! I dumped a pile of time and money into racing dirt bikes! Went nowhere really fast for a long time.... because I wanted too and I liked the sport..

See? This is like alcoholic's anonymous....we can call this what it is! Its OK.... :)

Saw Junkies......

A lot of truth to that.

More power, more fuel, more fill ups, more downtime. The production benefits cancel themselves out IMO. I don't get saws ported to increase production, l do it as l love running well tuned saws. l like ported/modified saws, but l also find there are many models on the market that perform pretty darn well stock. For example l am very happy with the way my MS200t, Solo 681, Solo 665 run in stock form. l actually think a stock 681 would give a ported 576/461 a real run for there money. Stock saws make sense when running a business for many reasons outside performance. I think one of the best gifts OEM's have done is stratofied scavenging increasing efficiency and reducing the pollution in a industry workers environment. Most of us here are saw nuts and will always look for ways to tune our saws, make our chains cut faster and make what is an already rewarding tool to use, more fun. This has been going on for many decades prior to the existence of AS. l find some of JacobJ's posts really interesting as he has had an eye on modified saws for such a long time. l also think what was considered a 'woods port' ten or twenty years ago is far far from what a woods port is today. It really is a fine art that take time and study to perfect. We are lucky to have access on AS to some really talented guys that have spent many, many hours perfecting their art and go far to help members who need 'help'.

Good post. :rock:

It's like this.......people wanna tweak their stuff. Always have, always will.

Chain.......that's where it at though. The meanest saw I can build will be far slower than stock if the guy using it can't maintain the chain properly.

Then there's tune. Learning to tune is very important.

Say I build you a saw that is 40% faster than stock......with my tune, and a good chain. You take it home and it's not tuned the same.....and the chain sucks. It will be far slower than stock.

I have no use at all for a stock saw.......what has been seen cannot be unseen. But ported saws are not for everyone. They need a little bit of special care.

I had a guy call me the other day about a saw I had for sale. He admitted that he knew nothing about saws really.......but needed a larger saw to deal with big blowdowns on his property. He could get a stock saw for a great price from a local dealer......but was intrigued by the ported saw I had for sale. I talked him out of buying my saw.

I had a guy call me the other day about a saw I had for sale. He admitted that he knew nothing about saws really.......but needed a larger saw to deal with big blowdowns on his property. He could get a stock saw for a great price from a local dealer......but was intrigued by the ported saw I had for sale. I talked him out of buying my saw.
And that's part of what makes you such a great guy! It's not about the money. Yet you are able to pay your bills by being honest and straight forward! You know your customer probably better than they do when you ask a few questions. [emoji106]

I like my ported saws but for everyday use I have really been liking semi-chisel chain. It just keeps on cutting and cutting. The price of those square files :( and the semi-chisel chain lasts longer too. My neighbor says I am cheap. I say frugal.
I get a lot of dirty wood so I'm liking semi-chisel more and more myself.

It is amazing how much this "craft" has evolved over the last few years though. We all keep taking a "worksaw" a little further, and a little further.

For myself, it was about finding the limits of what could be durable......

Like I said though......these ported saws need to be loved. They really ain't for everyone.

I got an email from a guy yesterday about a 346XP I did. He ran three tanks thru it.....then stopped to refuel. When he fired it back up, it caught fire in his hand. He had to let it burn to put out the fire in the brush. :(

What the hell happened? Was it something I did? I have no idea. It's coming back so I can give it an autopsy. Yes......there will be a thread. :laugh:

It is amazing how much this "craft" has evolved over the last few years though. We all keep taking a "worksaw" a little further, and a little further.

For myself, it was about finding the limits of what could be durable......

Like I said though......these ported saws need to be loved. They really ain't for everyone.

I got an email from a guy yesterday about a 346XP I did. He ran three tanks thru it.....then stopped to refuel. When he fired it back up, it caught fire in his hand. He had to let it burn to put out the fire in the brush. :(

What the hell happened? Was it something I did? I have no idea. It's coming back so I can give it an autopsy. Yes......there will be a thread. :laugh:
50 to1 fired it up!!!! :ices_rofl:

Back