Saw modifications vs. Stock saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That or a bad fuel line were the only things I could think of, neither of which would be Randy's responsibility, IMHO.
Yes my 372 used to leak where the fuel line enters the tank if filled it up ,left spots in my pickup bed if too full

What do u think caused that Randy

There's no way of knowing without getting it on the bench.......and then I still may not find out.

How could that possibly be your fault?

I'm not saying it is. He's not either.

But if I have parts to fix it for him I will.

I just hate to see something like this happen.....

It didn't take long for the folks to form trends.... so just to spur the discussion, from an old marketing type this is how MOST of the subsequent posts will line up.

If your a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Builders will need to rationalize their value add.
Engineers will need to quantify what that means ... (sorry PA....I used 2 b an engineer too.. once upon a time, a long long time ago in a place far away)
Company man dealers will need to point out the risks...
And hobbyists also need to explain to their wives why the money spent makes sense...and those argument are developed here.
Then there are the company owners...and firewood / home owner types. They will either be swayed by one set of data presented or another....and now I'm just curious if there is real data out there to support one vs. the other. I'm actually looking forward to new info...to support my habit.

Interesting. That covers everybody but arborists.

Randy that's why your such a respected man in this community and your own community. Most would point the finger at the operator and tell them they are out of luck. Luckly it doesn't look as bad as I was imagining it would.

Interesting. That covers everybody but arborists.
They can benefit too so I agree.

I've got a few saws out working for some tree companies. Remember the faster they can do a job, the faster they get on the next one. That equates to more cabbage

I wasn't even aware that people ported chainsaws until I became a member of this forum well over a decade ago.

Although I've become accustomed to all the talk, I still find it a bit odd.

I find it a bit odd running stock saws now and I ain't been running ported ones very long. For me its just the satisfaction of doing the work and running them. Dano you just need to get your hands greasy and build one, you won't find it odd. I have made really good buddies learning on this sight.

I've got a funny tale for you guys.....

I had 9 372XPs a couple of years ago.......the 372 bug had bit me bad (I've since recovered) and I was gathering them from everywhere. I had just traded for another one, and asked Jon to take it to the log pile and run it for awhile. I could hear him out there........he made cut after cut....prolly for ten minutes solid. When he shut it down and walked back to the shop, I asked him what he thought of it. He shook his head and said that it had something bad wrong with it........low on power......bad. He figured it was low on compression or the coil was bad.

I thought it sounded fine, so I ran it awhile. I brought it back and told him that it seemed fine to me.

The problem?????

It was just stock. :laugh:

I find it a bit odd running stock saws now and I ain't been running ported ones very long. For me its just the satisfaction of doing the work and running them. Dano you just need to get your hands greasy and build one, you won't find it odd. I have made really good buddies learning on this sight.

At this point in my life, I'm doing less and less cutting. Most of my friends that I used to go help, have either moved away, or did away with wood heat, or have sold some of their land and there is now less need for falling.

If the current trend continues, I won't even need a saw in a few years. Time will tell. Will I hang on to my saws? For sure! What will I do with them? Who knows.

Beef is really high right now.. just bought a bull. Sold a few yearling heifers. Wow. Never have seen prices like this..

My 8 Angus heifers should be bred in August if everything works out like I think it will........next summer will be looking good around here.

Back