Saw needs help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodie W.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have Echo CS-440. 3 years old. recently had fire inside chain brake cover. Saw still runs. cleaned it up. put new cover on. Problem is this. Saw starts and runs at idle and full throttle fine but the moment you apply the chain brake the engine stops. So I can't put saw down running with brake on. Any suggestions. Should I kill it. I do like the Echo saws and trimmers. especially with a 20 inch bar.

:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Looks like your stayed engaged due to weak clutch springs oe shoes not seating correctly.Could be also your your sprocket bearing that needs grease or is gone bad.Your chain must be turning at idle right now .

Echo

Woody, try this stunt.With the saw OFF slowly pull the rope with the spark plug removed. If the chain starts to move then I will argee with the previous post.A broken clutch spring is not retracting the shoe from the drum hence stopping the engine.Looks like a clutch removal is in order if this is the culprit. Ken

Saw still out of commision

Replaced springs clutch . Saw starts with chain brake off. runs real fast. second I put chain brake on it kills. Any ideas? Is it just an idle adjustment? Before I put chain brake on chain moves. ?? Good thing I have a spare Echo cs-520. :bang: :bang: :bang:

If the clutch was repaired properly, it should spin freely inside the clutch drum with the engine off. So, if the chain is spinning with the throttle off, then the idle speed needs to be adjusted. (Or the clutch still isn't right) First, turn the idle speed screw out a ways, with the saw off. (It is usually a short distance away from the hi and low adjustment screws.) Then, start it up. Hopefully the chain won't be spinning, which will make it easier to set the correct idle speed, which will be just as the chain starts to turn...then back it off a hair.

Did you already check the sprocket bearing (under the clutch hub) that HiOctane mentioned? If it got smoked in the fire or has other bits from fragged springs it may be locking up on you.

Chaser

Back