Saw recommendations for wildland firefighting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSburt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all I wanted to throw a question out there for any fire folks what saws they are using on their crews to cut fire line and fall snags up to 25" dbh. Looking for some specific feedback about the Husky 562xp since I am all too familiar with the Stihl 362C being junk for fire work. Let the comments fly

From what I have heard I would stay away from Autotune/M-Tronic saws for wildfire duty. Have heard of troubling issues of saws not running right in low O2 conditions.

A screwdriver and a keen ear seems more reliable to me than a computerized carb, but when seconds matter a properly compensating carb would be beneficial.

See a lot of Stihl 440 / 460's. Power to weight ratio, long bar , full comp chain for brushing . Stihl parts readily avail in fire camps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The local fire department uses Husqvarna 576's with carbide chains for forestry fire duties. It saves the department the need to have a lot of saw models in inventory.

ms461r.png

I wouldn't over look the Dolmar 6100. Fuel economy is a huge benefit. Very long run time per tank. Less fill ups means less gas you have to carry around. It is also one of the best running 60cc saws out.

I wouldn't over look the Dolmar 6100. Fuel economy is a huge benefit. Very long run time per tank. Less fill ups means less gas you have to carry around. It is also one of the best running 60cc saws out.
In small wood maybe, but in a mature forrest, I seriously doubt it to be strong enough.

What size stuff is usually being cut/felled during wildfire work, especially out west?

I'm asking because if 20" bar is all that the saw's will be running, why not consider the Stihl MS261/260

What size stuff is usually being cut/felled during wildfire work, especially out west?

I'm asking because if 20" bar is all that the saw's will be running, why not consider the Stihl MS261/260
If ya want to bend over all day [emoji107][emoji107]

If ya want to bend over all day [emoji107][emoji107]

So what bar length do you guys usually have on the 440/460?

And why would I be bending over any more with a 261 than I would with a 460?

Thanks for the replies fellas I think the Husky 372 will be the choice. Already have a good Husky 372 parts inventory when we switched to Stihls back in 2002 due to the weak lower ends in the old husky 372's.

Running a little more oil in them may help the bottom ends... you're in the smoke anyhow right? Somewhere between 30 and 40 to 1 may make a big difference.

Thanks for the replies fellas I think the Husky 372 will be the choice. Already have a good Husky 372 parts inventory when we switched to Stihls back in 2002 due to the weak lower ends in the old husky 372's.
Maybe you can still find a 372 xpw or at least put a xpw top end onto a xp. 75cc over 71cc should be an advantage in the right situation.

Latest posts

Back