Saw shop requirements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sounds good but_________

When I get my shop out in the open, and running full tilt, Im going to require a background check, drug test, 3 recc's and none can be family, Ill require them to have reliable transportation, and require them to NOT use tobacco products on the premises.

1. no felons
2. No druggies
3. If you cant find at least 3 people who think highly of you, gtfo
4. I need you to be able to get to work in a timely manner...hitching a ride from freinds isnt relaible.
5. No tobacco use. I dont want my shop smelling like smoke, its unsafe around gas fumes, and "smokeless" tobacco is just nasty, I dont want it on my stuff, or on my customers stuff.

I dont discriminate race or religion...but if you cant fulfill the above standards...I dont want you.

Also, if you promote Jeff Gordon...I will fire you on the spot, Im a Former Dale Sr. Fan, and a current member of the Jr. Nation.:rock: :rock:
:chainsaw:
what is your definition of a felon?i used too hire ex felons for brush cleanup and other logging site jobs for my last boss. some of the ex felons are the hardest working people i know. they are no different than you or i they just made a few bad choices. i do not mean they all are worth giving a chance some are not. in a saw shop you as the employee are responsible for what you do and say. if a person came too me for a job and told me the truth about themselves thats what i judge a person by not what they have done or look like. a person can be molded to be a professional looking individual. just my beer monies worth

The problem is most small engine techs aren't worth more than a Mcdonald's employee.

It messes up the scale.

A good one should make as much as a good auto tech. @$20

Fred

A shop in town, a smaller one, she has herself, and a man as year round employees.

In the spring and summer months, she hires 2-3 younger guys to work there. These guys, Iswear, they are some real doofuss's.

I couldnt find a Murray part I needed, my distributor was out of them, and couldnt get em in time, so I called her shop, knowing she used to be a full Murray service center.

I call and ask for a "Murray Push mower Dead man Cable, Dead Man Bail, And The cable clip"

All I got was this long pause, and "huh"? :confused:

You need a murray dead man what? Clip and cable what?

I gave him my model number, and told him I needed the Dead man Cable, Dead man lever, and The cable clip that went on the bail..

"What is a bail" What is this dead man thing? Is this a prank call?

Im sitting there...:jawdrop:

So I tried to speak it so he could understand.."I need the lever that goes on the handle, the wire that hooks on to it, and the little clip that holds the cable to the lever..."

"OHHHHH. The kill lever...you need a kill lever and a wire"

"You'll have to wait till the boss lady gets back, I dont know where to look for that stuff, unless you need a filter"

I hung up....I was in awe:dizzy:

If I didnt have alto of respect for the lady and her business, Id never go there or call there again...that kid was an idiot.

I called my freinds shop, even though he is some 25 miles away...I told him exactly what I told the kid at the other shop. Within 2 minutes he had 3 part numbers for me, and prices, and when they could be in....Thats service! :rock: :rock:

what is your definition of a felon?i used too hire ex felons for brush cleanup and other logging site jobs for my last boss. some of the ex felons are the hardest working people i know. they are no different than you or i they just made a few bad choices. i do not mean they all are worth giving a chance some are not. in a saw shop you as the employee are responsible for what you do and say. if a person came too me for a job and told me the truth about themselves thats what i judge a person by not what they have done or look like. a person can be molded to be a professional looking individual. just my beer monies worth

Ive known quite a few felons..

I need someone I can trust 100%, That if I need to leave them alone ot close up, I know it will get done and nothing will go missing.

Most felons Ive known were auto theives, Breaking and entering...I knew an arsonist too..

People who have stolen cars..people who know how to break into a place...people who burned alot of stuff...not the kind of people I would trust with the shop keys.

Not saying all felons are bad, Ive got a Cousin in Phoenix who got on drugs in the Early 80's, spent some 14 years in prison. But he is cleaned up, doesnt drink, doesnt associate with other felons, doesnt do anything illegal...you know, a good clean guy who realized he was on a bad path (shootout with some Hells Angels got his attention). Would I hire him? nope

One thing I do know from talking to him...most felons who did more than 6 months, tend to associate closely with freinds from prison. That worries me more than anything.

Best just not to hire a felon, its sad, but a few bad apples does spoil the bunch, in this case. When you cant easily identify which apples are bad, and which are good.

Felony-

Crimes commonly considered to be felonies include, but are not limited to: aggravated assault and/or battery, arson, burglary, some instances of drug possession (dependent on the jurisdiction, often possession over a certain weight, based on the type of drug, is held to indicate intent to sell or distribute), embezzlement, grand theft, treason, espionage, racketeering, robbery, murder, rape, cannabis cultivation and fraud. A third offense for driving under the influence is also a felony in most states.[citation needed]

"The common law divided participants in a felony into four basic categories: (1) first-degree principals, those who actually committed the crime in question; (2) second-degree principals, aiders and abettors present at the scene of the crime; (3) accessories before the fact, aiders and abettors who helped the principal before the basic criminal event took place; and (4) accessories after the fact, persons who helped the principal after the basic criminal event took place. In the course of the 20th century, however, American jurisdictions eliminated the distinction among the first three categories." Gonzales v. Duenas-Alvarez, 549 U.S. __ (2007) (citations omitted).

In some states, felonies are also classified according to their seriousness. A murder is also counted as a felony and can result in a death penalty or a life sentence. The number of classifications and the corresponding crimes vary by state and are determined by the legislature. Usually, the legislature also determines the maximum punishment allowable for each felony class.

If you work for me, you are an extension of me. you represent me, my standards, and my shop.

If I have some kid leaning over an engine, spittin chew into a bucket...wearing tattered cloths hair all messed up, and using very poor grammer to customers..that makes me look bad.

8/hr is all mechanics get paid? damn:jawdrop:

I pull 50/hr right now as the owner/sole operator. But then I have to pay for everything, so I guess it all evens out...

Well damn, I guess since I chew Cope I'll never get to work on wildthings.

$50 an hour before expenses? DAMN :jawdrop:

This is a good post. Some of the laziest, most useless culls I have ever worked with are so clean they have never even got a speeding ticket. Some of the hardest working guys I have ever worked with, and I mean balls to the wall hardworkers have criminal records for all kinds of stuff. Fact is, here anyways, if you kicked everyone with a record off the job this province would grind to a halt, at least in construction, logging that kind of thing, you know where "those" kind of people work. Also, there are people out there that work for insurance companies who screw injured people over daily, part of thier job. Lots of cons couldn't do that job for moral reasons, think about it.

The other thread discussing resume`s brings a valid question to mind.

How many saw/mower shops require resume`s, job apps, drug tests?
Most here in Ky. barely require conciousness or breathing, let alone
drug tests.
If they mention drug tests, I just say, it might be pure light beer, bit you
won't find any drugs...................

When I drop in by a shop to see if they are hiring, I cheerfully ask if they
are in need of a good mechanic, and if they say, "no".
I will come right back and say, "Well how about a chitty one, I can do
either?"
Just curious if any of the northern shops have any of these hiring practices.

Sorry Fish, I guess I got your thread derailed. Around here you must maintain at least 24" of hair on some part of your body and eminate noxious odors. The fewer the teeth the better, same thing for fingers and appendages. All the training that you will need is, remember "Righty tighty lefty loosy."

The tooth brush was invented in Ky., if it had been invented elsewhere, it
would have been called a "teeth brush".

As far as the hair and noxious odors, well.............

I am quite a hairy beast myself. There is a thick layer over 99% of my body.

It used to be 100%, {palms}, but I rubbed that off....................

Sorry Fish, I guess I got your thread derailed. Around here you must maintain at least 24" of hair on some part of your body and eminate noxious odors. The fewer the teeth the better, same thing for fingers and appendages. All the training that you will need is, remember "Righty tighty lefty loosy."

Ya miissed the confusing part. Clutches Righty loosy lefty tighty.

What I look for in a saw shop, is respect. Didn't get that from the local one but luckily I can go to Chehalis and there are 2 shops there that a friend and I like. We're both women and we use saws on the job. We like to be treated like we know what we're up to. The shop I go to the most didn't even blink when I bought a new 440 and corrected him when he forgot a step in starting the saw. This'll probably wreck it for you guys, but there's no girly calendars up (in the showroom) which makes it even friendlier. They stock accessories in various sizes and I can even find heavy duty socks and caulks that fit. :clap:

When I get my shop out in the open, and running full tilt, Im going to require a background check, drug test, 3 recc's and none can be family, Ill require them to have reliable transportation, and require them to NOT use tobacco products on the premises.

1. no felons
2. No druggies
3. If you cant find at least 3 people who think highly of you, gtfo
4. I need you to be able to get to work in a timely manner...hitching a ride from freinds isnt relaible.
5. No tobacco use. I dont want my shop smelling like smoke, its unsafe around gas fumes, and "smokeless" tobacco is just nasty, I dont want it on my stuff, or on my customers stuff.

I dont discriminate race or religion...but if you cant fulfill the above standards...I dont want you.

Also, if you promote Jeff Gordon...I will fire you on the spot, Im a Former Dale Sr. Fan, and a current member of the Jr. Nation.:rock: :rock:

What part of the shop do you have the polygraph machine?

What I look for in a saw shop, is respect. Didn't get that from the local one but luckily I can go to Chehalis and there are 2 shops there that a friend and I like. We're both women and we use saws on the job. We like to be treated like we know what we're up to. The shop I go to the most didn't even blink when I bought a new 440 and corrected him when he forgot a step in starting the saw. This'll probably wreck it for you guys, but there's no girly calendars up (in the showroom) which makes it even friendlier. They stock accessories in various sizes and I can even find heavy duty socks and caulks that fit. :clap:

Ive got a 1985 "LowenBrau" corvette poster I intend to hang in my shop...

Beautiful blonde perched up on he back bumper of a RED 1985 Corvette

Plate reads "TONITE" the plate frame reads "Let it Be Lowenbrau"

Its clearly 80's, the Bleach Blonde has on yellow spandex low cut shirt and orange pants, with suspender things on...Her HAIR is huge.

Its tasteful, I got it at a yard sale. Sad part is, I got it for the car, not the lady.:jawdrop:

85 was not a good year for the "vette. 83 was the last good year, for years after. Anyways, the 80s were kind of cool in a way that only makes sense now.

85 was the year I got married, and yes 83 was my last "good year".

mmmmmmm.....................

No blondes for 24 years............

dam. you guys depress me.......................................

The tooth brush was invented in Ky., if it had been invented elsewhere, it
would have been called a "teeth brush".

As far as the hair and noxious odors, well.............

I am quite a hairy beast myself. There is a thick layer over 99% of my body.

It used to be 100%, {palms}, but I rubbed that off....................

Perfect, you'll fit right in

Yep. he's been slacking off for 2 years though... and hasn't got fired. :jester:

True but considering the pay it all evens out.
Ya miissed the confusing part. Clutches Righty loosy lefty tighty.

Easy there tiger. Crawl, walk, run. Can't have the chicken's trying to fly with the Eagles on the first day.

85 was not a good year for the "vette. 83 was the last good year, for years after. Anyways, the 80s were kind of cool in a way that only makes sense now.

ummm.....I cant tell if you are kidding or being serious..but

85 was the first good year for the Vette in over a Decade. There was not an '83 vette.

1984 sucked because the Crossfire injected L83 was weak, 205hp, 290 ft/lbs of torque.

1985 had better gauges, and brought Bosch Tuned Port Injection, factory headers, 2000 rpm Convertor, Dana 36/44 diffs, and Laminated fiberglass traverse mounted springs. 1985 was lighter than the 86-96 models, due to the lack of ABS, SRS, and ASR systems. The L.98 350/5.7 put down 230hp and 330 ft/lbs of torque, and ran to 60 in 5.5 seconds, faster with stickier tires.

There wasnt a major increase in power until the introduction of the Mighty ZR1 in late 1989, offering up the LT5 DOHC V8, putting 375 hp to the rear tires bone stock.

Back