Saw Shops....What are your expectations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morewood

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
After work today my son and I went by the local(only) OPE store in Marion. Just HAD to see what all the fuss was about concerning the 555/562xp.:smile2: Walk in and see three guys standing around and the lights out in the service area. Tell them I am simply looking for now. Look at the wall in all orange.....435, 440, 455R, 460R. Really, only two other saws are the 372s. Look again, same thing. Wasn't blind after all. Look over at the Stihl area, not many more selections. I see one of the guys has gotten up and asks if I am looking for anything specific. Tell him what I wanted to see, a 555/562xp. the response...'nope, ain't got one'. Nothing else, period. I was expecting maybe when they would get them, they just sold them, should be in this week. NOTHING!!! Either they don't have a clue or they don't want me to come back. Potential customer....not now. There isn't any place I know of nearby that is any better. Absolutely, 100% positive that is not customer service. Now, what are you guys expecting when you walk in? Also, anybody know a place close by where I can fondle one....or both?:rock:

Shea

Drive up the mountain a piece to Waynesville. We have a great dealer that has all the STIHL's and that other brand too. It's the only place in WNC to buy anything STIHL or Husky.

I get a welcoming greeting every time I walk though the door. The sales guys on the tractor side know my face and nod and say hello. The parts guy knows me by name. They get me fixed up with whatever I need within a few minutes and tell me to have a good day. If a part needs to be ordered they get it in within a few days and I get a pleasant call to let me know it is in. Tonight I needed a list of stuff and they ordered what they didn't have and let me take the rest to get going without paying a dime.

That is what I get when I go to my dealer.

Too bad you didn't walk through my doors. This post would have been completely different.

The local Stihl/Husky dealer carries all the Stihl models up to the 460, though I have yet to see one of the new 440's there, but they can order you the larger models. Their Husky shelf looks about like you described with only the homeowner models and a couple 372's, again they will order what ever you want. The local Husky/Shindiawa dealer has the same Husky inventory but I did see a 346xp there.

I have multiples of each model all the way up through to the MS660 :rock:

I, for one, HATE to be pestered by salespeople when I walk into a place. I like to look around and see what is there before I start answering questions. I do expect them to know what they're talking about. This would include product and market knowledge. I would be annoyed if they just said "nope" when I asked about a certain model, and didn't even offer anything else. From the other side of the counter, I suspect the salesman figured you for a guy who read 555 on the internet and knew nothing else. It is in their best interest to sell inventory they already own, and that is probably what they were wanting to do.

I, for one, HATE to be pestered by salespeople when I walk into a place. I like to look around and see what is there before I start answering questions. I do expect them to know what they're talking about. This would include product and market knowledge. I would be annoyed if they just said "nope" when I asked about a certain model, and didn't even offer anything else. From the other side of the counter, I suspect the salesman figured you for a guy who read 555 on the internet and knew nothing else. It is in their best interest to sell inventory they already own, and that is probably what they were wanting to do.

Smart shops use the models they don't have to sell the ones they do have ;) But definitely see your point.

I like a saw shop to have a path from the front door to the counter. You can see the history of two stroke chainsaws just walking up the path. When you get to the counter there is a sign behind the old geezer behind the counter that reads;

HomeliteMcCullochStrunkClintonServiced and repaired here!

Ain't found it yet, come close once or twice, still looking.

Go find another dealer.

:rock:

Several near by to me but only one I deal with anymore. The others are clueless can't believe they even sell saws they don't know a thing about them. The guy I go to has the shop you don't expect its an auto garage as well as a saw shop. Its a shop not a fancy display at a tractor show room, the guy never misses most things are in stock in multiples both parts and saws and what he dosn't have he can get in a day or 2. I don't expect smiles or an a$$ kissing just someone who knows what he's selling. He cuts me deals to so thats a plus.:hmm3grin2orange:

The shop I go to is great!!! They are willing to go the extra mile for all customers, even if all they get is s spark plug. I have a few dealers that are close-by, but I drive over a hour to go to my shop! They have been around for over 50 years, but they have a newer owner. The new owner was a long time employee and has only made it a better shop. After hearing the horror storys about bad shops, I'm glad I found a great one!

The shop I go to is great!!! They are willing to go the extra mile for all customers, even if all they get is s spark plug. I have a few dealers that are close-by, but I drive over a hour to go to my shop! They have been around for over 50 years, but they have a newer owner. The new owner was a long time employee and has only made it a better shop. After hearing the horror storys about bad shops, I'm glad I found a great one!

what shop do you go to, most of the one close to me would rather sell you a tractor.

Most salesman can spot a griper just wanting to waste time a mile off. I'd love to hear the other side of this story.

So true. We see them coming in every day almost. They want everything below cost. You can smell it on them, lol.

I can see both sides. Most dealers around here arent worth a crap though. My favorite dealer is over an hour away. I can buy stuff from where I work, but I buy from several different places due to parts availability, and I like options.

As a noob to saws I like a place that is willing to help me and not treat me like a I'm a moron ( that is what this site is for!:rock:). Around my area there is a couple shops but I have found the best one to be a larger ACE hardware/Tractor shop. I went in and looked around. They had Sthil up to MS660 and Husky up to a 390XP. They even had a 555 on the shelf. I talked to the guy behind the counter and tech who was getting parts up front ( early morning they had just opened). Asked about the 562 and the counter guy said they had just gotten them in. Do I want to see one? ......Hell yes I do!!!. So he pull is out of the box and sets it on the counter. Then while he put a bar on it he answered my noobish questions. Then showed me the equivilent to the 562 ( I belive it was a MS390) and all three of us ( tech included ) compaired them and messed with them some. This was the first time either of them had seen or touched a 562 so they were not experts, but they were sure willing to talk with me and help me out. Hell they were even willing to help me source some Dolmar parts for a Makita DCS520 I picked up( no Dolmar dealers in the area). Definatly my shop now.

My regular dealer is great, in fact my new dealer is probably better though they don't know me by name (yet). My original dealer has just went through an ownership change and I already see a huge reduction in Stihl inventory. I think the only pro saw was a 261, all others were light to occasional use. Only a few trimmers, 1 cut-off saw, 1 of each type blower. The display has reduced in size by ~40% Where the used to be a line of pro saws from 261 - 660, there is nothing...

They were/area JD dealer as well. The chain that bought them has much more to do w/ the AG business as my gut there talked about how much more AG business they'll get in, with all the contracts and such. I am giving them some time to adjust, but if things go the way I think they are I may just move on to the other guy, except for my consumables which I'd p/u on the way to work int eh mornings.

I have been in those dealers like you mention... waste of space if you ask me. Move on. I don't want to be hounded/followed, but I want them to be knowledgeable, and be able to answer questions. The new guy I found does that and so much more.. If it was just on my way somewhere I go on a regular basis. :(

dw

I've got a couple of local dealers - one is a mom/pop shop, and the other is a larger/small chain store. My heart is with the smaller shop, and almost always buy there even though the inventory isn't the best. The smaller shop is open more days of the week, and the folks there are pleasant. They're competent enough, but some of the best advice has come not from the hired help, but from locals just sittin' around jawing. Most of what I buy there is small stuff, but my only new saw was purchased there also. If/when the MS461 comes around I may buy that model there also.

I, for one, HATE to be pestered by salespeople when I walk into a place. I like to look around and see what is there before I start answering questions.

But you do have to greet every customer, or they may feel that they are being ignored. Most are waiting to be aknowledged in some way.

But if a guy says, "I'm just looking", that means he wants a little space, and you have to give it to him. I just reply, "Sure, make yourself at home". When he's ready to talk, he'll initiate the conversation.

Latest posts

Back