Saw Shops....What are your expectations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drive up the mountain a piece to Waynesville. We have a great dealer that has all the STIHL's and that other brand too. It's the only place in WNC to buy anything STIHL or Husky.

Open Saturdays? Will have to get the name of that place.

I, for one, HATE to be pestered by salespeople when I walk into a place. I like to look around and see what is there before I start answering questions. I do expect them to know what they're talking about. This would include product and market knowledge. I would be annoyed if they just said "nope" when I asked about a certain model, and didn't even offer anything else. From the other side of the counter, I suspect the salesman figured you for a guy who read 555 on the internet and knew nothing else. It is in their best interest to sell inventory they already own, and that is probably what they were wanting to do.

I will say he didn't pester me, gave me plenty of space, just didn't offer any info. Hard to sell anything if you don't try. Mowers may be it for them, not sure.

Most salesman can spot a griper just wanting to waste time a mile off. I'd love to hear the other side of this story.

Not sure what you mean. I was quite nice, just expecting the newer models. The Lowe's 3/4 of a mile down the road carries the same homeowner models. There was no griping other than trying to get my son to quit playing on the riding mowers. Oh, and you did hear the other side, that was all that was said. Nice, just not trying to sell.

Shea

Last edited:
But you do have to greet every customer, or they may feel that they are being ignored. Most are waiting to be aknowledged in some way.

But if a guy says, "I'm just looking", that means he wants a little space, and you have to give it to him. I just reply, "Sure, make yourself at home". When he's ready to talk, he'll initiate the conversation.

I understand that. Sales is a fine line I suppose, unless you are Thall. Places like Sears are the worst. If you walk into the electronics/tool/appliance department, they are like vultures and won't go away unless another potential sale comes along.

I guess you can't leave people to their own devices in the showroom either. Otherwise all kinds of small (and maybe large) parts will end up missing.

I am just a little saddened by the employees at most OPE retailers. I would think some of them would take a little more pride in their job, and the manufacturers they represent. In my job I am always looking at what the competition is doing, and the latest routes, aircraft, electronics, etc that I will be working around in the future. I have been at this for 13 years now, so if I were going to get bored I think it would have happened already. I have to admit that I am often surprised when I travel to other countries. People seem to take pride in being good at their profession, even if they are a garbage truck mechanic. I digress... Sorry for the derail.

I, for one, HATE to be pestered by salespeople when I walk into a place. I like to look around and see what is there before I start answering questions. I do expect them to know what they're talking about. This would include product and market knowledge. I would be annoyed if they just said "nope" when I asked about a certain model, and didn't even offer anything else. From the other side of the counter, I suspect the salesman figured you for a guy who read 555 on the internet and knew nothing else. It is in their best interest to sell inventory they already own, and that is probably what they were wanting to do.

I don't like to be pestered, but most people don't mind if someone asks if they need any help with anything.
The sales guy really should have done a little more than he did though. He could have offered to order one, or find something similar that they did have in stock.

Around here it's not a matter of what do you expect, it's how do you deal with what you've got.

I know a lot of us are in this group, me included.

Too bad you didn't walk through my doors. This post would have been completely different.

Considering a move to Northwest Indiana, maybe?

The shop I go to is great!!! They are willing to go the extra mile for all customers, even if all they get is s spark plug. I have a few dealers that are close-by, but I drive over a hour to go to my shop! They have been around for over 50 years, but they have a newer owner. The new owner was a long time employee and has only made it a better shop. After hearing the horror storys about bad shops, I'm glad I found a great one!

Similar to my fave shop here. I think the three main guys in there are related, so they probably all have a piece of the business. Always willing to talk while they work and the 'sell you a new saw' topic never comes up until necessary. A real pleasure to deal with them, NEVER any surprises.

The dealer I frequent the most here in Oklahoma is well knowlegable, friendly, and has a good pick of saws, but the Dealer across the state line in Ft. Smith ~ well it looks more like a manufacturers outlet. Her shop is cram packed with all the latest saws, brushcuttsers, clothing, tools, and on the outside, splitters, mowers,etc. It's like going to the mall. You can shop and dream forever in there.

I don't know for sure what it's like now, but when we were Husky dealers you had to stock a range of their products. Really cost us a bundle to stock 61's and little saws like that and weed whackers when all we sold were 266/181/2100. I'm not defending the guy in the OP because he should have made some effort to help you, but the overhead is incredible, or was.

But you do have to greet every customer, or they may feel that they are being ignored. Most are waiting to be aknowledged in some way.

But if a guy says, "I'm just looking", that means he wants a little space, and you have to give it to him. I just reply, "Sure, make yourself at home". When he's ready to talk, he'll initiate the conversation.

i agree 100% on that

It’s a fine line……to treat every person who walks through the doors like a valuable customer and give them enough space.

I’ve tried starting conversations at a shop near me just to get to know the owner and talk engines….he’s not interested. If my back pocket isn’t bulging on entry he’s all business.

Years ago, I worked at a ski/bicycle shop. The owner encouraged us to greet the customer by asking “How may I help you today?”. He said “do you need any help” is too easy to say no to and “they came into the store for a purpose”. He could sell! Probably not as good as THall! LoL!

When he's ready to talk, he'll initiate the conversation.

Sometimes they're never ready to talk and they are just tire kickers. I'll pester them until they get out.

Know of any cell phone jammers?

When I tell them, "I'm just looking.", I like it when they respond with " If you have any questions I'll be glad to help you with them.". Kinda settles the air if ya know what I mean.

After work today my son and I went by the local(only) OPE store in Marion. Just HAD to see what all the fuss was about concerning the 555/562xp.:smile2: Walk in and see three guys standing around and the lights out in the service area. Tell them I am simply looking for now. Look at the wall in all orange.....435, 440, 455R, 460R. Really, only two other saws are the 372s. Look again, same thing. Wasn't blind after all. Look over at the Stihl area, not many more selections. I see one of the guys has gotten up and asks if I am looking for anything specific. Tell him what I wanted to see, a 555/562xp. the response...'nope, ain't got one'. Nothing else, period. I was expecting maybe when they would get them, they just sold them, should be in this week. NOTHING!!! Either they don't have a clue or they don't want me to come back. Potential customer....not now. There isn't any place I know of nearby that is any better. Absolutely, 100% positive that is not customer service. Now, what are you guys expecting when you walk in? Also, anybody know a place close by where I can fondle one....or both?:rock:

Shea

I've walked in to shops like this (Husky, Stihl, etc). Just never went back. Some owners/employees may know saws, but they lack "people skills". Find a good dealer and establish a relationship with him. Try to be loyal to him. Sure, I might be able to get this or that for a buck or 2 less someplace else. But my dealers gives me breaks on stuff, like on the new saw I bought last November. And he's always happy to answer all of my questions. He also sells a ton of saws. I wounder why?

Don

The owner encouraged us to greet the customer by asking “How may I help you today?”. He said “do you need any help” is too easy to say no to and “they came into the store for a purpose”. He could sell! Probably not as good as THall! LoL!

Dan makes an excellent point, ALWAYS use open ended questions that force the person to make a response. That allows you to understand their mindset and to plot your strategy if they are in the buying mood.

One thing to remember is that small local saw shops are just that, small local saw shops. They must purchase any inventory on their floor or parts that are on the shelves or in the bins. As owners, they must allocate their limited resources where they will provide the greatest amount of return. If they are in a suburban location there is probably little need for a 60 or 70+ cc saws, so you will see the smaller consumer grade saws. Why spend a grand to have a 660 on the floor that you may never sell?

However, that is no excuse for not attempting to help someone that comes in the door, even if you want to close in 3 minutes. If you ignore a customer you can be sure they will ignore you in the future.

One thing to remember is that small local saw shops are just that, small local saw shops. They must purchase any inventory on their floor or parts that are on the shelves or in the bins. As owners, they must allocate their limited resources where they will provide the greatest amount of return. If they are in a suburban location there is probably little need for a 60 or 70+ cc saws, so you will see the smaller consumer grade saws. Why spend a grand to have a 660 on the floor that you may never sell?

However, that is no excuse for not attempting to help someone that comes in the door, even if you want to close in 3 minutes. If you ignore a customer you can be sure they will ignore you in the future.

I agree 100% on the financial side. Inventory costs, taxes, parts and every other little thing add up quickly. I knew they weren't the be all/end all, simply thought that since we have a healthy logging industry in the area they would either have the saws or info to share. They are the only OPE dealer that I know of in the county that carry both Stihl and Husky.
As for the tire kicker comment, I also understand, but YOU HAVE TO KICK THE TIRES FIRST!! It's new, I wanted to see it, if it so enamored me then I actually have the CASH to buy it. Never make a rash decision that could cost your business.....well business.

Shea

PS-If I came home with a saw my wife may frown, but she wouldn't be concerned. I love her so:heart:

I am just a little saddened by the employees at most OPE retailers. I would think some of them would take a little more pride in their job, and the manufacturers they represent. In my job I am always looking at what the competition is doing, and the latest routes, aircraft, electronics, etc that I will be working around in the future. I have been at this for 13 years now, so if I were going to get bored I think it would have happened already. I have to admit that I am often surprised when I travel to other countries. People seem to take pride in being good at their profession, even if they are a garbage truck mechanic. I digress... Sorry for the derail.

If you are a professional yourself, regardless in which business, you like to deal with salesmen that also know what they are talking about if you want to buy something from them. Works both ways actually; nothing more pleasant to discuss with someone who knows what he's looking for, is able to separate BS from real technical pro's and cons, and knows what the cost/benefits are from quality tools. Such customers also learn you something new each time, and make you better as a salesman, if you are willing to listen to them of course.

I also sell some used saws (on surplus) to consumer folks by local craigslist, and it's a different ball game all together. Sometimes I feel lucky not having to work as a sales guy in Lowes or with a dealer having to serve the noobs of this world. I can believe that, while having proud in your work, it takes a lot of patience and thick skin to remain professional and polite dealing with the consumer folk ; I also can believe that your good mood and proudness can go down the toilet quickly after a few confrontations with modern customers who are looking for the cheapest product in town.

Excellent points here, spot on.
I like to frequent tool shops just for looking at the new stuff, so I value a shop where you have the possibility to stroll around and have a detailed look at new things, without being harrassed by a pushy salesman.

Strolling around for 5 minutes in spike60's shop, I can imagine me saying though "Hey Spike, this 562xp looks real interesting here...., tell me I need one..:hmm3grin2orange:"

If you are a professional yourself, regardless in which business, you like to deal with salesmen that also know what they are talking about if you want to buy something from them. Works both ways actually; nothing more pleasant to discuss with someone who knows what he's looking for, is able to separate BS from real technical pro's and cons, and knows what the cost/benefits are from quality tools. Such customers also learn you something new each time, and make you better as a salesman, if you are willing to listen to them of course.

I also sell some used saws (on surplus) to consumer folks by local craigslist, and it's a different ball game all together. Sometimes I feel lucky not having to work as a sales guy in Lowes or with a dealer having to serve the noobs of this world. I can believe that, while having proud in your work, it takes a lot of patience and thick skin to remain professional and polite dealing with the consumer folk ; I also can believe that your good mood and proudness can go down the toilet quickly after a few confrontations with modern customers who are looking for the cheapest product in town.

I think the professionalism of the Tech working on my saws, is the reason I keep going back. I appreciate the salesmen that will direct me to the Tech in questions that are over his head, instead of giving me a run around.

I think the professionalism of the Tech working on my saws, is the reason I keep going back. I appreciate the salesmen that will direct me to the Tech in questions that are over his head, instead of giving me a run around.

Excellent point also. With high tech equipment, it's nearly impossible to know all technical details about the equipment your company is making. Smart thing to do for a salesman in that case is to call support from your colleagues in the knowing (if they are around) rather than trying to be the smart @ss and start inventing BS. A professional customer smell BS the moment you open your mouth. I prefer a honoust 'I don't know but I will find out for you' and call him back later.

I own Cascade Saw here in the PNW I only service old logging saws pre 1975 and have parts for those. No sales here as that would be a daymare with all the plastic mass produced saws which are fine but not for me just keeps my shop focused on getting my customers saw back same day unless I need a part which gets to me same week. With the pre 1975 saws there's only a few things that come into play..carb kit, ignition or a bad condensor or kill switch wire all can be applied and mounted in minutes. New pistons, crank seals/bearings apps I don't touch unless it's my saw as fellas are correct here it would cost more money to fix the saws than the saw is worth. Now if you have a 090 or 797/125's or a kart block it's a great investment to get parts or fix the saw. If my customers need the dealer runaround I give them the address in the valley..just my .02 cents

Back