Sawmance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beentown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, it hasn't been long enough to be in love but pretty sure I am in a sawmance.

Just purchased a 555 from a new local dealer. Pizz-revved it in the barn a little and couldn't take it. Loaded it on the Quad and bucked some large oak limbs (16") and some felled ash (20"). Did it again today.

Talk about nice for the $. Previously we always purchased "farm" saws. Husqvarna 55, 345, 455 and Stihl 290 and 038.

We bought into the advertising that that was the type of saw we needed as we ARE farm people.

Well I see no need to ever buy one again. Husqvarna's semi-pro line is fantastic for the price if this 555 is how the other in the line perform.

I paid $429 (20" bar) for my 455 (now sold). The 555 was $558 with the same bar/chain.

I'll never buy another "farm/ranch" saw again.

It is so much faster that I want to replace the bar so it doesn't say "farm tough". Lol

9a997cf777cb3b867da004c184d3bbf2.jpg

BTW I REALLY dig the captive bar nuts.

Congrats on the new saw! you counld get a new bar for it and really dress it up, lol. A nice polished sugi or orange GB would set it off.

Congrats on the new saw! you counld get a new bar for it and really dress it up, lol. A nice polished sugi or orange GB would set it off.
I would buy a new bar but I am too frugal as this one works. It will get a serious work out this weekend. Maybe wear the "farm tough" off first. :)

I have taken a orbital sander and taken the remaining paint off an old bar to dress it up. It leaves a smooth finish with the nice little swirl marks.

Lot of different model saws out there, good to learn the differences. Congrats!
I don't have full onset CAD. I have only purchased two and rebuilt one since becoming beyond a lurker. Lol

Slight CAD fever. Now I wanna try a 562xp and a 90 cc for milling. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No, saws are just really really expensive here.
What is the reasoning? Where are you? I see Europe, but specifically. Exchange rate, manufacturer taxes, labor cost, etc... what do you attribute the desparaty in price too?

What is the reasoning? Where are you? I see Europe, but specifically. Exchange rate, manufacturer taxes, labor cost, etc... what do you attribute the desparaty in price too?

Beats me if I know. It has been this way since I can remember. Husqvarna and Stihl have always been rabidly expensive while Dolmar's have long been 20-30% more expensive than in Germany. But don't think Echo, Shindaiwa, Maruyama etc are that close to US prices.

All I know is if you buy a Stihl it will hold its value far better than any car or motorcycle. I could sell my 290 for exactly the same price I bought it used and it would be gone in a week. Not that my old workhorse is going anywhere...

Bucked about 3 cord worth of walnut, hickory and oak today. Boy, this saw is kick ass.

I better not run a 562xp because if it is much better then I would be in trouble, CAD wise.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wait until you run a full pro saw that has been professionally-level ported..that's it...addicted..sawaholic...

Back