Saws or Guns?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keep Saws or Sell/Trade for Guns

• Keep Saws

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Get Guns

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

Freudianfloyd

Clinically Diagnosed with CAD
Reaction score
I'm sure I already know the answer here but I will ask it anyway. First though a little background into my hobbies.

First off, I have said this before, but I am just a hobbyist when it comes to saws. I have 31 acres and occasionally cut down a few trees as needed, or when helping out family.

I got a case of CAD about a year and a half ago and since then have amassed a collection of around 30 saws that I really like, and several I have flipped to pay for this hobby.

I have actually been really successful in flipping saws where all the saws I want to keep are paid for just from the profits I have made, and a nice stash of cash on top of that tucked away.

I also have a second hobby many of you guys have, and that is firearms. I was bit by the gun bug at birth. My dad and grandfather are both big collectors, and while sometimes the passion for buying and selling lessens, it has never gone away completely, it is the only hobby I have ever had that I have kept.

Anyway, lately the itch for more guns was reignited. I traded a rebuilt 039 for a really nice US made AK. I had roughly $50 total in the saw, so I made out pretty good. This was about 2 weeks ago.

Since then, I have dipped into my chainsaw cash and bought myself 4 other guns in the past week and then traded my MS271 for a nice Smith and Wesson M&P.

Well now when I look at my saw collection I cant help but think...."Maybe I will post that one up for sale and see if anybody wants to make a trade" etc. Etc..

So the internal struggle I am dealing with is, keep the saws I have, which in all honesty, don't go up in value, and rarely get used, or sell/trade them for guns that do go up in value, and while I dont use them as much as I would like, have been a lifelong passion of mine.

So I ask, is there really any practical reason to hold onto so many saws, see signature plus more not listed, other than because I like them?

I'm not saying I am going to get out of the chainsaw hobby, just maybe not hold onto so many.

Saws have less value on average, but are much easier to sell. This coming from someone with about 100 guns and 30 or more saws.
You think saws are easier to sell? I have never had a problem selling a gun. Maybe its location that makes a difference.

Ive got a 1911 i custom built that eats 45Super and most everything else id never sell, and a case full of AR rifles and pistols that mean nothing to me ranging from 5.56 to 50beowolf...id prefer not to sell anything but if the crap hit the fan and i needed quick cash..the saws are way easier to sell

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Although it’s just a garden tool, I can actually use all the saws I own. Some are good for small jobs, others for big jobs, maybe I only need one, maybe I have a favorite, but they are a tool that serves a purpose.

The gun collection is just something that sits around. I can see having a pistol and a rifle, but never understood the people who stockpile like it’s end of days coming. Most of the surplus armory just sits collecting dust; I can fire off a few rounds during target practice, but having a battery of arms (and ammo) for an “in case” day is just as bad as buying lottery tickets : 99.999999% chance it’s a waste of money.

Of course, it all depends on who you ask and where you live. But it’s your money, spend it however you want to.

I’m an ammoholic and my name is Jeff.

Even with these outrageous prices, I’m still buying regularly. The kids and I shoot a lot though. When I get under a few thousand rounds of 9mm and 10,000 rounds of .22, I start to panic.

Where are you finding that at? 9mm is non existent in my neck of the woods.

I‘m a prime member at this online site. Having that membership, I get a text message when anything arrives in the caliber I have selected. This new inventory isn’t yet available to the general public, just to the members. It’s normally sold in a matter of minutes so the non members never have a chance to get it. A case of 9 is running in the $525 range now. Crazy!
https://www.targetsportsusa.com/

From a purely economic standpoint, guns will never lose their value and will only go up in value, especially the ones that certain people have an irrational fear of. Other than the vintage big displacement macho saws or pro grade saws, etc, chainsaws are not an investment. They are cool and loved by us weirdos but that's it.

I remember about 15 years ago you could buy a Yugoslavian SKS rifle from a catalog for like $125. Those same non-chrome bore rifles today I don't think you can touch for less than $500, or maybe more now.

From a purely economic standpoint, guns will never lose their value and will only go up in value, especially the ones that certain people have an irrational fear of. Other than the vintage big displacement macho saws or pro grade saws, etc, chainsaws are not an investment. They are cool and loved by us weirdos but that's it.

I remember about 15 years ago you could buy a Yugoslavian SKS rifle from a catalog for like $125. Those same non-chrome bore rifles today I don't think you can touch for less than $500, or maybe more now.

That's exactly what I have been thinking. My guns are basically money, if I have ever needed money, I always had a gun to sell. Saws are just fun to have, but will never go up, so whats the point in collecting them?

With the current environment, they are already getting valuable. It used to be only old guns went up in value, but an AR I paid $500 for not long ago is selling for over a grand now.

All my guns fell in the water out on Lake Superior. My ammo to. [emoji16]

So ill post A picture gun with a saw on it

538e0c815f92de4dee43fe1c7e02cd39.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Do whatever makes you happy. I see several saws in your sig that could get cut, the poulan, the echos, the ms170, 034 etc.... but keep the loaner lol

Where are you finding that at? 9mm is non existent in my neck of the woods.
That's pretty much all ammo right now. 9mm/40cal/5.56/.223 [edit] even .22LR lol

Back