School me on the 064 starter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek9tim

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Alright, so I found a blind spot in my knowledge of Stihls. Haven't had to wrench on many 064s in my time. I've got one that's missing a starter, and I'm looking for options to remedy that. Obviously a original 064 starter is the easiest plan. But failing that, could I throw an 066 flywheel (considering ignition compatibility) on and then an 066 starter?

Depends as you may have to switch coils also. If the flywheel side has four holes to accommodate 066 coil(late 064) the 066 coil/flywheel/starter will work no problem. If it has the three holes you are SOL as only an 064 coil/flywheel will work and therefore you will need the thinner starter 064 for it to work...

Look at the bottom at fl crackers pics and determine which case you have. If you have the one that has the four holes you can add 066 coil/flywheel/starter. If not you have to have and 064 starter.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/064-wont-start-when-warm.334437/

Alright, so I found a blind spot in my knowledge of Stihls. Haven't had to wrench on many 064s in my time. I've got one that's missing a starter, and I'm looking for options to remedy that. Obviously a original 064 starter is the easiest plan. But failing that, could I throw an 066 flywheel (considering ignition compatibility) on and then an 066 starter?

Tim - get a hold of Jockydeuce (Rob) - he may have a replacement 064 starter for you.

Latest posts

Back