scorched stihl 046 complete rebuild. w/ pic's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt,

If I would've been doing this job, I would have said about my self: "this time I've overtaken my self..."

Great job, and present us with a great video final.

Matt,

If I would've been doing this job, I would have said about my self: "this time I've overtaken my self..."

Great job, and present us with a great video final.

Thanks, just came in to get the camera, i don't have a video camera at the moment tho.

got some more done, have to go to a job so ill work on it later. Here's some pictures. Squish was right around .020" gasket less.

CIMG1942.jpg

CIMG1943.jpg

CIMG1944.jpg

CIMG1946.jpg

CIMG1947-1.jpg

CIMG1947.jpg

Last edited:
I got a lot done on the saw, only had to work 2 hours.

It still needs some work but it runs and sounded good for the 2 min i ran it idle.
Going to have to find some hose or cork tape for the 2/4 wrap, dealer only can get it in rolls of 16 ft for $50.

I lost the whole tank vent assy and fuel cap, how I managed that I don't know I need to clean up. I robbed the 039 gas cap. Eventually ill get a tank/handle but it seems to hold gas and not leak. Ill repaint the plastic to.

Surprised me it ran even tho I didn't rebuild the carb I just used the old stuff, it was full of crud.

CIMG1949.jpg

CIMG1950.jpg

CIMG1951.jpg

Last edited:
Its lookin good Matt. The handle does look pretty rough when you put it next to the powdercoated engine. Lots of hard work paid off huh.:rock:

Looks good matt. What piston did you end up using?

The piston and rings you sent. I'm goign to sent the meteor back and get one for the 066.

Stihl wanted $25 a ring. Thanks again!!!!
the ring gaps weren't to bad so I used em, i let someone borrow my compression tester so ill check it soon. It definitely has good comp.

Its lookin good Matt. The handle does look pretty rough when you put it next to the powdercoated engine. Lots of hard work paid off huh.:rock:

Thanks Rookie, yes it did, when it started I had a big ass smile on my face.

The piston and rings you sent. I'm goign to sent the meteor back and get one for the 066.

Stihl wanted $25 a ring. Thanks again!!!!
the ring gaps weren't to bad so I used em, i let someone borrow my compression tester so ill check it soon. It definitely has good comp.

WOW. $25 a ring. That's steep. Let me know how she runs. Nobody has ever ran any of my boob job port work.

WOW. $25 a ring. That's steep. Let me know how she runs. Nobody has ever ran any of my boob job port work.

Looks good! Id pay ya to do it. Ill let you know how it does, maybe find a video camera. Sounded dam good.

Back