scorched stihl 046 complete rebuild. w/ pic's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my parts, got the crankcase back together but its not spinning free. Not sure what wrong with it, i tapped both ends and its still not spinning good. back the screws out and it spins fine, I'm pretty sure I got everything in straight... haven't had this munch trouble before.

any ideas?

Matt

Did you press the bearings all of the way on to the crank? Were the bearings the same thickness as what you took out?

Regards

Dan

Matt

Did you press the bearings all of the way on to the crank? Were the bearings the same thickness as what you took out?

Regards

Dan

I'm gonna go back and screw with it i probably did something dum.

Well I'm done with it for tonight. Here's some pictures

CIMG1924.jpg

CIMG1926.jpg

CIMG1927.jpg

CIMG1928.jpg

CIMG1929.jpg

CIMG1930.jpg

Anyone else having problems getting on Google?

I heated the case half's to 300 degree for 20 min, pressed the bearings in, pulled the crank onto the clutch side and pulled the flywheel side on. The dowels are in.

I managed to grub the nice case up and lose a few parts under the bench..... guess its not my night.

Beside heating up the crankcase, you could have put the bearings in the freezer (-20ºC) to shrink them a bit. It could have help you press them in the crank case.

Beside heating up the crankcase, you could have put the bearings in the freezer (-20ºC) to shrink them a bit. It could have help you press them in the crank case.

The flywheel drooped in and the clutch i pressed in, that was the easy part. Ill pull it apart again and see whats wrong....

The flywheel drooped in and the clutch i pressed in, that was the easy part. Ill pull it apart again and see whats wrong....

DO NOT PULL IT BACK APART!!!

You did everything right. "tapping" the crank won't do crap. You need to give it a couple of good swats on either end with a brass hammer. It will free up. It is a chainsaw, not a rolex. Those parts are interference fit. I'm not saying to mushroom the end of the crank from beating on it, but it will take some smart, sharp blows. You'll know when it is right.

DO NOT PULL IT BACK APART!!!

You did everything right. "tapping" the crank won't do crap. You need to give it a couple of good swats on either end with a brass hammer. It will free up. It is a chainsaw, not a rolex. Those parts are interference fit. I'm not saying to mushroom the end of the crank from beating on it, but it will take some smart, sharp blows. You'll know when it is right.

worked perfect, a couple taps not even hard an its spinning good. Thanks

Last edited:
Here is some more pictures. Got more done but didn't take a picture.

CIMG1932.jpg

CIMG1933.jpg

CIMG1934.jpg

CIMG1935.jpg

CIMG1936.jpg

Looks like the paint bubbled on your side cover. Rather it be that then the crankcase.

where?

When I did the cover I didn't completely blast it so the powder is over some old stuff making it look bubbled but its not.

Latest posts

Back