Score 3 years of Firewood!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthornton

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My riding buddy was complaining that the guy that was going to cut up the tree that blew down last fall has not touched the tree. I told I'm I'll be by Saturday to start whittling on it. I brought home the first trailer load today. I think there is enough in that tree to keep me in heat for 3 years. I wish it was not the middle of the summer as I can only go about 2 hrs in the heat and I'm done for... sucks not having a whole heart.

My splitter is yet to be finished so I need to store the rounds till then on the ground. Should I store them on the bark? The limb I cut up today was 24" across where it met the main trunk! Good thing he borrowed his dad's tractor with a bucket.

View attachment 303382View attachment 303383

JT

Yes, it is white oak... that tree is huge. Any suggestions on how to store the rounds on the ground till I can split and stack them? I'll need to unload the trailer and get a new load each week till done.

JT

Great Score, if it was me I would lay out a tarp, pile the wood on it, even stack the rounds, on it.
I would not cover it though..

Especially if you do not need the wood, I would just let it "cure"

Off ground is best

Pallets or even some sort of improvised platform built from scrap wood will work nicely. If in a pinch for time, throw down some landscape fabric and pile the unsplit rounds there.

By the way, nice score. Finding free wood with that kind of easy access just doesn't come along too often.

Take Care

Great score.:msp_thumbsup:.Man that's a big Oak..White Oak is the best firewood there is besides Osage. My opinion:msp_smile:
Hope you have some help getting them billets onto the splitter..

Thanks guys, I'll try and find some pallets and stack on top of them. The smaller wood I'll get to burn this winter I'd bet. If I can get my rack full that will last me through the winter.

JT

You can bet there will be some noodling going on with this tree and my tiny chain saws.

JT

Might save you time, effort and wood to noodle in a bar-width or so. Enough to set wedges. Unless you need cubic yards of "excelsior." :cool2:

Wood doesn't really "cure" (air-dry) until bucked, split & stacked in the breezes. Oak takes its sweet time, too.

Did you need reason to buy bigger saw(s)?

Might save you time, effort and wood to noodle in a bar-width or so. Enough to set wedges. Unless you need cubic yards of "excelsior." :cool2:

Wood doesn't really "cure" (air-dry) until bucked, split & stacked in the breezes. Oak takes its sweet time, too.

Did you need reason to buy bigger saw(s)?

So noodle down the bark side then split with some wedges?

Don't tempt me with a bigger saw :chainsawguy: I'm a sucker for new tools.

JT

I just picked up some white oak that has been on the ground for two years. The bark is falling off but zero rot in the wood at all. A few years ago I got a bunch of red oak that had been on the ground for five years and some of it had maybe an inch of punk on the outside of it. If you plan on splitting this year and want to save pallets for stacking splits I don't see an issue with that either.

So noodle down the bark side then split with some wedges?

Don't tempt me with a bigger saw :chainsawguy: I'm a sucker for new tools.

JT

Nice tree man!

here, have some new tool enablement!

*Every* boy needs a 70!!

I use some junk tree logs, old boards, whatever, and store my rounds stacked up off the ground until I can get to splitting them. Either rounds or the quarters or whatever I can pick up. Old half rotten rail road ties work excellent and no one wants them, semi easy to score.

(unless I know I will be getting to them real soon I pre stack like that, otherwise I would just pile them up)

I just picked up some white oak that has been on the ground for two years. The bark is falling off but zero rot in the wood at all. A few years ago I got a bunch of red oak that had been on the ground for five years and some of it had maybe an inch of punk on the outside of it. If you plan on splitting this year and want to save pallets for stacking splits I don't see an issue with that either.

I plan on splitting the wood before fall. I think I'll go for it.

Thanks
JT

I got a bunch of white oak fence posts last year from a friend who had pulled them out about four years before that. They had been in the ground for about twenty years, and they burned just fine. 4" diameter with maybe 1/4" of punk that I scraped off.
If you can get the rounds off the ground a bit it'll help to loosen the bark, make it easier to split, other than that they can sit for a loooong time before they'll rot. Shipbuilders used white oak for keels and ribs that were always submerged in saltwater. :bowdown:
Nice score!

Thanks, I even asked about it when it first got blown down but he said his neighbor had said he would clear it off... I keep my ears open. I had been scouting the woods for some standing dead to cut later when the chiggers are asleep.

I'm stoked about this...

JT

Back