Scored piston advice. Husqvarna 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1stgei

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m on the fence. Picked up a 61 , compression is good 150psi... looks like something got into the cylinder ...the saw was filthy. The air filter was a mess so I am assuming it was run and some crap got in there.

Rest of the saw is pretty good.. I have an extra cylinder and piston on hand but not sure whether to replace it. There is a nice scratch on the piston (photo attached). Should I replace the piston and cylinder? What do you guys think if the damage?IMG_5834.jpgIMG_5835.jpgIMG_5840.jpg

Nice looking saw, looks like you need to pull that jug and hopefully it will clean up, order a new piston, meteor are good, and before you even pull it down if you can give it a vac-press test to see if an air leak caused it or after to double check your work, seals are cheap and should be replaced anyway.- good saws, worth the rebuild

For my use I pull the piston and cylinder to clean it up. To run it as is would possibly cause more damage. If the piston looks OK and I really do not want to replace it then knurl it a bit with some new rings. If the ring(s) is leaking the motor will generate more heat and more often will fail. Thanks

For my use I pull the piston and cylinder to clean it up. To run it as is would possibly cause more damage. If the piston looks OK and I really do not want to replace it then knurl it a bit with some new rings. If the ring(s) is leaking the motor will generate more heat and more often will fail. Thanks
You are a machinist? You have a piston knurling machine? They are very handy.

Looks like a perfect candidate for a rebuild. Maybe just the piston scored. The hard industrial chrome lining in the cylinder might be ok. Piston and rings, gaskets are cheap.

Is a 72 upgrade just a bolt on ? Do I need to upgrade anything else? Saw runs good. I’ll upload the video
Im no expert but looked into it as I want a hopped up 61.
You need the 272 cylinder, intake and carb. You mod the airfilter holder so it fits the new carb and cut the top cover where it hits the cylinder. There's probley more, there's a how to on youtube and treads on here about it.

Clean up the cylinder with two stroke oil and cross hatch it with 1500 grit paper. Don’t forget once it’s cleaned up reverse the paper and use the smooth back of it to sub the cylinder again to remove any grit that’s in the plating.

Back