Scrap the quad, I guess I am down to a mower...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemind

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I STILL can't find a quad in the price range I can afford. Play quads just won't do.

I guess it is time to change tactics. As much as I don't want to, I guess it is down to a lawn mower/garden tractor.

I am pretty sure I want to stay away from hydrostatic trannies. Don't need the trouble.

Guess what I am thinking is:
Garden trator without a deck. Possibly one that has a blade. Duel rear tires are in this plan, and likely chains to boot. Horsepower in the 16 plus HP range.

I am sure it will be easy enough to find the mower minus the duel rear tires and possibly the chains.

Where is a place to buy scraped mower parts to fit the bill?

P.S. I just bought a lawn cart on sale tonight at Rural King for $99

As a side note, I fugured I would need to mod the tractor to fit the duel rears. I fugured threaded rod would hold the two sides together, unless someone else has a better idea.

find an old cub with a hydro(129/149), they are NO trouble,and will run forever. also motors are cheap and easy to work on. you can buy dual wheel adapters that bolt right on,however you will pull more with tractor lug single tires. i would think you could have a really good setup for 500.00-750.00,depending on how nice you want things.

I don't know what your budget is but I think my Big Bear 400 (yamaha) is the best quad for bang for the buck. More so if you're using it mainly for utility purposes. It's not real fast and is not a belt drive(which I like for pulling and snow plowing) but it lugs through anything! I bought my 2000 model used in 2006 for $1850 with the plow. Another reasonable one I believe would be a 360 Kawasaki Prairie.

attachment.php

I don't know what your budget is but I think my Big Bear 400 (yamaha) is the best quad for bang for the buck. More so if you're using it mainly for utility purposes. It's not real fast and is not a belt drive(which I like for pulling and snow plowing) but it lugs through anything! I bought my 2000 model used in 2006 for $1850 with the plow. Another reasonable one I believe would be a 360 Kawasaki Prairie.

attachment.php

I have looked and looked. There are no quads like you mentioned in that price range near me. If there was, I would have snapped it up.

This is why I am forced to buy a lawn mower.

Notice I said NEAR me. I can only travel up to an hour, to get whatever I buy. I work 7 days a week, so time is an issue.

Owned a case just like the last pic,Boy that thing was nearly indestructible.It had a hydraulic pump mounted on engine and a hydraulic motor mounted on the rear end.The only belt on the thing was for the starter/generator.

CD, I am leaning more toward something like the Cub, or possibly the case. I don't really want a hydrostat. So the Case might be out.

No way on the home built gator/mower. Also no thanks on the wheelhorse that knocks. Too many good running tractors to mess with one need alot of work.

Free,
You could probably pick up a good used sub-compact tractor, such as a Kubota, with 4-wheel drive for between 8-10K. Talk to the local dealers.

Cub cadet

Beleive me you will want a hydro tranny. I haven't had a problem with one ever. Don't get me started on the problems I've had with gear trannys. The only thing is put synthedic hydro oil in of so it doesn't have to warm up for as long in the winter. The old cub cadets are bulletproof. Get one with ag tires and a good set of chains. No dauls needed. An old cub Cadet will work fine.

I have a 1985 john deere 318. I thought about using it in the woods but Garden tractors seem to get stuck easily with the small wheels. If you drop the front wheel in a hole you have problems.

I picked up a 99 ranger 6X6 for $2900. Can't wait to get it out there and see how it works.

gg

First off what are you looking to spend?
I found a sub compact kubota with loader and backhoe for under 4 grand. It was a 2000. They are out there and can be found. Also get it shipped LTL for a few bucks.

I put some chains on my old John Deere 300 16 horse. It actually went pretty good but I think a quad would be better suited to the rough terrain.

Take a look at some of the older Tractors in the 2500 dollar range.

Heck, an old 9N will outwork any lawnmower and burn about the same in fuel.

There's LOTS of old IH, Alice, and JD Iron out there with plenty of life left in 'em looking for a good home.;)

Lawn mowers work in a pinch, but get stuck easy, break easy, and wont handle anywhere near the work even a little Farmall Cub will.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Take a look at some of the older Tractors in the 2500 dollar range.

Heck, an old 9N will outwork any lawnmower and burn about the same in fuel.

There's LOTS of old IH, Alice, and JD Iron out there with plenty of life left in 'em looking for a good home.;)

Lawn mowers work in a pinch, but get stuck easy, break easy, and wont handle anywhere near the work even a little Farmall Cub will.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

+1 on that. Plus those old girls are so simple to work on even an amateur like myself can fix 'em!

My problem is my storage shed is too little to even get one in it! (It's time to drop a pole barn down. Anyone got 15 grand to donate to the cause? Yep, me neitber.)

I have an old 8n ford that I have used for several years to haul my wood out with . It is small enough to get around in the woods with but still has enough weight and power to pull a good load. They can be picked up around here for around $1000 - up and less if you dont mind doing a little work on them. I would go for a small tractor any day.

My mower (JD LT180) with ag tires was useless in the 4" of snow we got this winter. I was hoping to find a set of knobby tires for it, but couldn't find any in that size. It has a hydrostatic tranny and I haven't had any problems in the six years I've had it. I mow 2 acres. It has a 48" deck, and the 17hp Kaw engine on it doesn't like deep grass.

I'd love to have a sub compact 4wd tractor.. 20-25hp diesel, loader, 60" belly mower, pto tiller... but I don't have $20k to throw at it. It'll be a post mortgage/child support present for me.

Ian

Last edited:
Honestly I did it with a old craftsman for years and yea it worked kinda but the minute ya get a good load on it you are stuck. I would look for something with 4 wheel drive I now have a Jd 2305 and have had no problem with it. I think 4 wheel drive makes all the difference.

I have 1500 in an oliver super 55 with a later 550 diesel engine. It will pull logs, brush hog, plow, do anything I need it to do and then some. I would look for an old tractor before going to a lawn mower or garden tractor. I couldn't imagine not having my old tractor. There are deals out there, just gotta keep looking.

I used a JD212 with wheel weights and chains the first year and it was OK if there was no snow. I love the thing but it has some serious limitations in bad terrain. I bought a Tank Sports 400U (Ya I know a China Quad). It is a clone of the Yamaha Big Bear 400. 4 wheel drive, semi auto trans 5 speed, and shaft driven. I have had to replace the ignition switch ($10 at auto parts store) and it needed to be readjusted due to California emmissions set up. Other then that it has worked well. Best of all Yamaha parts fit if any will need to be replaced. I paid $2600 new in the crate shipping included on Ebay.

Latest posts

Back