Scrap the quad, I guess I am down to a mower...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Freemind - I think I am following your needs.

Take a look in the used market for an older Allis Chalmers 7-12 to 9-16. Now hear me out. I know that you have said you don't want a hydro. You CANT break the hydros on these things. You will tear the back tires off first. Also, duals were an option. Also, there is a bunch of them out there. Also, I have beat the hell out of a couple of them for YEARS. Pull cars, trailers (used to move my superwide 18" tandem with no problem). There are many other attachments for them - make it more of a multi tasker. Snow plow, dirt plow, mower deck, sickle bar, roto tiller, etc. I have one that is a dedicated "mule". This thing doesn't know anything but "Grunt work".

These things can be found in the under $1000 buck range for a pretty decent machine. Take a look, I think you may agree.

Edit: most were powered by a cast iron Kohler. Pretty reliable machine.
Double Edit: and if you don't think a 12HP Kohler will have the power - rethink that. It will pull till the front tires come off the ground and it ain't no light mower. It will move my 18ft bass boat around the yard at just over an idle.
attachment.php

Thank you for the helpful info. I really like your set up pictured. I will keep an eye open for the Allis.

If I had the freedom to travel, I would have a quad. Most folks here fail to understand what it takes to DO my job. Most people take for granted that they have time to go and do things, I don't. I have a hard enough time finding time for my kids, wife, building the woodpile, ect. This job takes alot out of me, and demands alot from me.

It has been over 18 months since I have had a day off, and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Back to the Allis, sure sounds like a tough machine. I don't care if what I buy has a blade or not, I can build one if I end up needing one. All this machine will do is tug out wood from the woods. If it came with a tiller or a dozer blade, that is just a bonus.

Anyhow, thank you.

Full disclosure. That is not actually MY Allis. It was a pic I yanked off the web for visual. Truth is - I do have the rototiller though.

Pulling stuff around is what my mule does for a living (the 712H version). I keep a set of tire chains on it year round - and it does the job without complaining.

Well I tried. Looks like you are out of luck. I used your zip to search but I guess you are so far away from anything that nothing is available.
Best of luck with the lawn mower, just remember most of the newer stuff doesn't use bearings, just bushings in an aluminum housing. If they are actually worked they fall apart quick.

If I had the freedom to travel, I would have a quad. Most folks here fail to understand what it takes to DO my job. Most people take for granted that they have time to go and do things, I don't. I have a hard enough time finding time for my kids, wife, building the woodpile, ect. This job takes alot out of me, and demands alot from me.

It has been over 18 months since I have had a day off, and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

What type of work do you do that keeps you locked down so bad? I am not trying to be too nosey... just trying to understand.

* I read your profile, so I know now. I guess I could have read it first.

Last edited:
You might want to try the local antique engine shows coming up this spring and summer. The flea markets usually have quite a few running garden tractors. (The best deals are had at the end of the day)

Well I tried. Looks like you are out of luck. I used your zip to search but I guess you are so far away from anything that nothing is available.
Best of luck with the lawn mower, just remember most of the newer stuff doesn't use bearings, just bushings in an aluminum housing. If they are actually worked they fall apart quick.

I had allready made up my mind to stay away from MTD type mowers. I knew I would need older, better built, iron lawn mower.

I don't think there is much wrong with hydro units, other than the cost of a pump VS a belt.

Neighbor as a kid, had a case like one posted earlier in the thread. NICE tractor, but had a VERY expensive pump on it. If it moves, it will break eventually, as they say.

I can buy alot of belts VS buying just one hydro pump.

That said, who knows what I will end up with. Price and location are determinig factors. There are allways nicer lawn tractors in my price range up for sale. I have yet to find something better.

What type of work do you do that keeps you locked down so bad? I am not trying to be too nosey... just trying to understand.

* I read your profile, so I know now. I guess I could have read it first.

I raise steers for the butcher market. We have 1500 +/- head on hand all the time. I am the only guy, at this point able to do the job. Been here going on 5 years. First two years weren't so bad. We only raised feeders (sold them at 500 pounds) and we fed steers different then.

Market fell apart on feeders when corn prices went nuts. They switched gears and decided to raise them to butcher weight, in order to be able to make any knid of profit.

Long story short, I have to be here every day to make feed 2 times a day and feed them. I am also one of two people with the ability to vet sick calves. Most people can't tell if a calf is sick or not, and if they are what they have wrong with them and how to treat it.

Holsteins are high maintence, compared to colored cattle. They also are also more destructive, so I am constantly fixing what they break.

There is alot of work involved getting steak to your plate. :rock:

At some point you may have to make a decision as to whether price or travel time is more important to you. What you want may be out there, and it may be in your price range, but it may not be close.

Just be prepared to spend the next 8-12 months or more looking for what you want.

And to think I have driven 150 miles just to buy a chain grinder or a saw?

It's to bad you arent close to me,I've got a old Simplicity with a plow blade I could give you a good deal on.

Hello

I will offer another thought. Maybe a cable winch would be a useful idea if money is a major shortage. There are ones with gasoline motors(usually chain saw engines) which are capable of pulling wire cable of unlimited lenght. At least here in Austria.

Another thought would be of import tractors from Iseki, Kubota or similar. They are used from japanese farmers and they usualy don't cost that much and shipping should not be a problem.

What I havn't understood sofar is, you don't have a tractor on your farm? I believe that that would be a important investment. But then again I am not a farmer.

Good luck

Ive been in the same boat as you.

Get something older, i like Wheelhorses. Cubs are great too, and i prefer gear transmissions because thats all i ever had. If you go with a wheelhorse, get one with either hydro if you prefer it, or if its a gear trans get one in the C-series, they have hi-lo and the heaviest axles wheelhorse made. If it is a hydro, get some decent horsepower to turn that pump. If its a gear, extra power will only burn more gas when your pulling stuff around the home. I have an old 857 with an 8hp kohler, and you can pull whatever and never worry about power. The downside to these is a belt drive transmission. Belts are cheap, and easy to swap. I dont fuss over it.

Dont waste time or money with duals. You lose your manuverability and dont gain much if any. Kinda the same principles as dually trucks sucking offroad. Get a set of 26x12x12 tires under it if you can, and stretch the rims by getting a spare set, cut them down the middle in order to weld them back together wider to have more tire on the ground. Best thing to do ever is get the most tire planted on the ground, and the widest. If this is confusing check out tractor pull sites for more info.

Go to an auction and pick up a few sets of car/truck tire chains for cheap. chop them up and put a crosslink every other link on the chain that goes around the outside. Preferably the ice cleated chains. They work well. I have done this with the chains and have had great results on top of turf tires. I would opt for a set of worn out tubed 26x12x12 turf tires, because the chain surface is held tight to more tire than on ag tires, and they are cheap and very easy to get your hands on.

Pick something with a kohler engine. When it comes to parts, you will never regret it. They are reasonably priced and readily available. Tecumseh makes ok engines but their ignition systems are wacko and carbs/governors a pita. Some of those parts too cost big $.

Hello

I will offer another thought. Maybe a cable winch would be a useful idea if money is a major shortage. There are ones with gasoline motors(usually chain saw engines) which are capable of pulling wire cable of unlimited lenght. At least here in Austria.

Another thought would be of import tractors from Iseki, Kubota or similar. They are used from japanese farmers and they usualy don't cost that much and shipping should not be a problem.

What I havn't understood sofar is, you don't have a tractor on your farm? I believe that that would be a important investment. But then again I am not a farmer.

Good luck

Well, the farm has LOTS of tractors. Sized from a 4040 JD all the way up to a 9120 JD with a 20 foot degelman blade.
We have 4 skid steers, from a 180 NH with a two speed tranny down to an old 675 JD.
We have a nice hay truck with a hydrolic bed. 20 Foot bed, I might add. Hauls logs excellent.

We even have a tree sheer made by Wolverine. Cuts trees to 28 inches.

Yeah, the farm has ALL kinds of equipment to make firewood fast.

UNFORTUNATELY, since I sell a little wood besides what I burn, I CAN'T use that equipment. Can't even RENT it. Pretty nice of the bossman, eh? :censored:

It is one of those "whatever" situations. If I can't use the equipment, screw it, I will do it myself.

Hey freemind,
I will try to help you out some if I can. I live about 1 hr. from you if map quest is correct. I will extend your range allitle. if you can find something around the South bend IN(west), Schoolcraft MI(north) to Goshen IN(south) areas I can pick it up for you and meet you somewhere or you can pick it up here at my house. You would just need to make any payment arrangements ect. The only thing I would ask would be actual gas money for getting it. Since I would get it with my wifes car 1.8l 4 Vibe that would be next to nothing. Hopefully this will give you some more options. If you want to take me up on the offer PM me.:cheers:

Perhaps if you read the OP, instead of jumping off rattling your mouth off, I could have gotton the info I needed.

It isn't my fault you fail to comprehend what my OP said.

It isn't our fault you gave almost no information about your requirements.

:monkey:

I used a JD LX176 garden tractor the first year I burned wood. It worked fine with the garden cart until the ground got wet or snowy. Then it got stuck in the mud and snow. I used a friends Yamaha Big Bear the rest of the season. It worked great. His was the 350 with dual range gear box. I bought a newer 400cc version. I liked the 350 with dual range better as I have to go up hill to get the wood from my woods to the house.

Make sure you get what you need...it sucks having to buy things twice!

If you have the room for a tractor, I'd get one with big rear wheels like an 8/9N. A garden tractor probably will not be what you want, if you have to haul wood in the winter...but if you can get all the wood to your house before the wet weather hits it would be fine...I just don't have the room for 14 face cords at the house, so I have to move wood all winter.

Good luck

affordable wood haulers

I guess it is down to a lawn mower/garden tractor.

...what I am thinking is:
Garden tractor without a deck. Possibly one that has a blade. Duel rear tires are in this plan, and likely chains to boot. Horsepower in the 16 plus HP range.

I am sure it will be easy enough to find the mower minus the duel rear tires and possibly the chains.

For my wood/saw haulerI purchased a used Toro Wheelhorse garden tractor for $400. This is a heavy duty commercial grade machine, I believe it cost well over 3,000 dollars new. The rear end and tranny is made of heavy steel or cast iron, not aluminum alloy. No hydrostatics and I removed the mower deck. I got some tire chains at a yard sale, took bolt cutters to them and made some custom chains. It works wonderfully, and doesn't tear up my yard like my big tractor would. I built the trailer out of a wave runner trailer I found abandoned in the woods. Hmm. I uploaded a photo but it's not showing up....
attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back