Scrap the quad, I guess I am down to a mower...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is funny, is that people don't read ALL of what a feller posts. Instead they go off on a rant about how bad an idea what you are doing is wrong.

Buy a REAL tractor. Ain't happening. Unless someone is going to pony up the funds to buy it FOR me. You won't even find an old farmall H around here under 2500. I only have up to 1500 to spend, and I would MUCH rather keep it under one thousand bucks.

BUY A QUAD they say. Mmmhmmm. I allready gave UP finding one in a price I could afford. Everyone pooed on the idea of a Chineese quad.

I didn't plan on using the mower in the winter. I have a 4x4 truck for that, AFTER crops are off. It is too late now to cut anymore in the fields here. It is muddy now, and when they dry out, they will be planting the crops.

The woods I can cut in, will NOT fit a truck into them without peeling off mirrors or running over trees. I MUST have a smaller workhorse to get the wood out.

I allready stated MY sitution with travel restaints. I can't get far from home, as I MUST be here at night to feed the steers. I don't have big money to spend to buy someplace else and pay to have it shipped.

I will NOT go into debt for this. Interest and payments SUCK, especially in today's economy. Nothing is a garuntee, like a job or future wood sales.

Looky, this "tractor" is only gonna be used in warm, decent weather. I need something AFFORDABLE (read: pay CASH) to get the rounds out. I don't want to chance breaking up the home mower in the woods. SO, this "tractor" will only serve the purpose of pullin' wood outta the forest.

As much as I want a "real" tractor or a quad, nothing is coming that I can afford. I know. I have looked for several months.

You know, you kind of asked for ideas or opinions on what you are thinking of doing, so we all gave ours. Kind of looks like your plan was about as well recieved as our opinions were. So, you're back at square one. :dizzy:

You know, you kind of asked for ideas or opinions on what you are thinking of doing, so we all gave ours. Kind of looks like your plan was about as well recieved as our opinions were. So, you're back at square one. :dizzy:

Well, I ASKED
Where is a place to buy scraped mower parts to fit the bill?

Then I was open for suggestions:
I fugured threaded rod would hold the two sides together, unless someone else has a better idea.

I am pretty sure I wasn't asking WHAT to buy to get wood out of the wood. I WOULD rather have a tractor or a quad. In the price range, I have to spend, it isn't happening. Hence, I have ALLREADY made up my mind to buy a lawn tractor.

No one addressed WHERE is a good place to supply me with used rims and tires.

No one suggest anything different that threaded rod for tying the two rims together.

People DID suggest that the duel rears likely were not a good idea.

Other than that, this thread went in every direction other than what I needed to know.

Don't get me wrong, I apprecaite the suggestions. I just wish people would read what I have wrote. Tractor/quad is not in my immediate future.
They can tell me all they want, that my idea isn't best. They are RIGHT. Unfortunately I can't AFFORD a quad or a tractor, and I won't go into debit for one.
I STILL need to get firewood out of the woods though, so bickering about what to use to do it, ain't gonna keep me warm or put wood in the pile.

Dude... you need to gulp down a big handful of colorful ludes, or maybe smoke a nice well rolled fattie. Got a pipe and baggie? That's my suggestion... LOL

Ian

ya know what YOU are right and I apologize its easy to get off track......but what I can tell ya is I used a craftsman LT 1000 (brand new they are 1000 bucks) if u put a set of chains on it I can tell ya it will do anything you want as long as it is dry out. I pulled a 3ft by 4 ft log with it with little to no problem. the nice thing is it has a wide back tire on it and with chains it,it bites pritty good.

I understand he is in a tight spot, not wanting to get strapped with payments during a bad economy that doesn't look like it it will improve anytime soon.

Around here people are scrapping whatever they can find for weight . The local scrap/recycling yard has stacks of old 'riding mowers' , engines and wheels. They can be bought for practically nothing. I've even seen people drive running cars in, when scrap was bringing $225 a ton, and catch a ride home.

Working 7 days a week limits going down there to poke around though. It limits hitting the farm sales aswell or being able to travel any distance to go after anything useful found on CL.

Now is about the time that the college here upgrades their lawn care equipment. It usually goes by sealed bid. Might be an option there.

Horse flesh has gotten cheap lately too but that's one more mouth to feed everyday whether you are working him or not. Even shetlands can do quite a bit of work. They were bred to work in mines hauling out loaded coal cars.

Hope you find something to fit the bill for you.

This works for me. 2005 Simplicity Conquest w/ Hydro.
17 cu. ft. Brinly poly trailer.

Conquestwoods2.jpg

Mapleload.jpg

Fieldsedge.jpg

Kevin

well it sounds like yo uhave your mind made up on what exactly your looking for a cheap garden tractor will never go the places a quad or larger tractor can go ,all that aside if your still wanting this route id look for am older CUb with a 16+ hp kohler engine and toss some chains on the old girl ,my cousin has one and pulled many a wet full size trailer load of wood out of the forrest .

I picked up a 1998 Polaris Sportsman 500 for $1200. Well, the wife got it for me for Christmas. Deals are out there, you just have to dig around a little. Be patient. Cash talks.:clap:

I have an Ingersoll just like the case pictured, and it is hot a hydrostatic trans, it is hydraulic drive. Big difference there. I have chains on it and it can pull a lot. Keep your eyes open, and don't be afraid to stop and ask is that for sale???
Keep looking something will turn up. Sometimes it just takes a while.

Sorry free but I did not see anywhere that you gave a price range ,time of the year you wanted to use it or conditions you have. I even went back to the first page of this post and looked at all your replies :confused:
With that said in dry conditions my John deere 212 has a power rear lift on the hitch which makes it easy to lift logs to cut and pull trailers. With chains and weights it can pull a LOADED 4x8 trailer. If you look you might even find one with accessories. I got a plow, snowblower, deck, and soil turner with mine. All for $1000.

I STILL can't find a quad in the price range I can afford.

What's your price range?

I guess it is time to change tactics. As much as I don't want to, I guess it is down to a lawn mower/garden tractor.

What work are you trying to do, and on what kind of terrain?

I am pretty sure I want to stay away from hydrostatic trannies. Don't need the trouble.

What makes you think hydros are trouble? :confused:

With a bit more info, you might get more useful advice. For example, if you tell us your price range is $1500 - $2000, you won't have people suggesting $15k tractors.

Help us help you.

fyi I remember Freemind posting several months ago a price range and needing a four wheeler within an hours drive of where he's from. He didn't like the suggestions then and doesn't look like it has changed. Doubt people across the U.S. can tell him where to get used parts within an hours drive somewhere in Indiana. Just my opinion :bang:

Freemind - I think I am following your needs.

Take a look in the used market for an older Allis Chalmers 7-12 to 9-16. Now hear me out. I know that you have said you don't want a hydro. You CANT break the hydros on these things. You will tear the back tires off first. Also, duals were an option. Also, there is a bunch of them out there. Also, I have beat the hell out of a couple of them for YEARS. Pull cars, trailers (used to move my superwide 18" tandem with no problem). There are many other attachments for them - make it more of a multi tasker. Snow plow, dirt plow, mower deck, sickle bar, roto tiller, etc. I have one that is a dedicated "mule". This thing doesn't know anything but "Grunt work".

These things can be found in the under $1000 buck range for a pretty decent machine. Take a look, I think you may agree.

Edit: most were powered by a cast iron Kohler. Pretty reliable machine.
Double Edit: and if you don't think a 12HP Kohler will have the power - rethink that. It will pull till the front tires come off the ground and it ain't no light mower. It will move my 18ft bass boat around the yard at just over an idle.
attachment.php

Last edited:
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/grd/1632669881.html
Guy is asking $1950, might get it a little less. Nice little diesel tractor and if I remember right they had diff lock.

searchtempest.com brought up a lot quick.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/grd/1628060173.html
Great pulling tractors. They had a narrowed rear end with independent rear brakes. put some ag or atv tires on it and still have little $ into it.

Here is a polaris 4x4 for $1400
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/rvs/1630857350.html

By the way I am in RI and in less than 5 minutes found those. keep looking

Last edited:
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/grd/1632669881.html
Guy is asking $1950, might get it a little less. Nice little diesel tractor and if I remember right they had diff lock.

searchtempest.com brought up a lot quick.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/grd/1628060173.html
Great pulling tractors. They had a narrowed rear end with independent rear brakes. put some ag or atv tires on it and still have little $ into it.

Here is a polaris 4x4 for $1400
http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/rvs/1630857350.html

By the way I am in RI and in less than 5 minutes found those. keep looking

I have seen all these before. I looked them over too.

First ad is more than 2 hours from me.
Second ad I am NOT interested in. Frame looks too small, and the little briggs don't even run.

Third ad is about two hours from me and he would not meet me even half way. I asked.

Spend a little more time lookin instead of #####in about the replies you get from here and you might get some where.

Kyle

Thanks for your imput. It was very helpful.

Perhaps if you read the OP, instead of jumping off rattling your mouth off, I could have gotton the info I needed.

It isn't my fault you fail to comprehend what my OP said.

Back