Scrapyard Poulan P3314

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannon51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got this Poulan at the scrapyard a few days ago. It had compression so I thought a carb kit might get it running. When I got it home and checked it out I saw that the filter had come loose from the line in the tank. I pulled the line out and cut a little off it and put the filter back on. I added gas and It cranked up in 3 or 4 pulls. I had to back the idle screw way out to get it not to die but it cranks and idles fine. It seems a bit screamy on top end, I tried backing the high jet out with a butt connector but I don't think it ever moved. This carb has 2 butterfly's, one above the other. That's a new on on me but most of my stuff is old. The chain only has a tooth every 2 1/2 inches or so. Is that the OE chain? My son (41) has been wanting me to find him a saw to keep at his house. I have been reluctant to give him any of my old saws that don't have chainbreaks so I think this is the one. Am I still looking for slight 4 stroking on the top end with this carb?
Cannonp3314poulan 001.JPG p3314poulan 001.JPG

There are no limiters on that saw that i have ever seen. They take a splined tool #530035560 by BDT brand. I bought a set of 4 different ones on amazon for 15$ in january. I see they are 19$ now. Its still a good deal at 5$ each.

Those are not bad little saws. I have repaired and sold several similar to it before. I have at times had success adjusting the carb screws by putting the plastic end of a crimp style electrical connector over the screw where the plastic shield kind of molds a little to the splines and then turning the connector with a screwdriver or needle nose pliers. Alternatively, you can use a dremel to cut a slot in the end of the screw if other "at home" methods don't work.
I should invest in a set of the tools, but I haven't yet.

Back