Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read that wood can be so dry it leads to more smoke as it off gases so fast it overcomes the air supply/secondary. Kiln dried can maybe do this.

Well, I'll say that depending on the application, I would believe that wood can be too dry. I burned some dead standing oak one year that read 11-14% moisture, it may have been drier, I was impressed how dry it was. I couldn't control the heat though in my Drolet wood stove, had the air control all the way in, basically shut down, and it was just raging. I would imagine that's ideal, but just seemed to hot for my liking. I like burning wood that reads in the high teens for moisture, around 17 is perfect. I never thought it could make that much of a difference. Every device burns differently, I'm still learning what mine likes best.

I've read that wood can be so dry it leads to more smoke as it off gases so fast it overcomes the air supply/secondary. Kiln dried can maybe do this.
If reduced to near zero in a controlled environment that MAY be true. One person brought that up. As mentioned, it’s impossible to get wood that is stored outside much below 10 percent unless you are in an arid climate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-gatineau-tornado-damage-in-video-and-photos-1.4834478

I hope all of our members from that area are in good shape !

Rob's good peoples , no reason not to post here :)

Its unfortunate, but pretty much isolated, media loves a story. Friends lost there house but all good, thats the main thing. I lent out my generators and offered a coworker a coffee.........he said where did I get the coffee........wow, seems most have a complete disconnect with reality.
I cant imagine how I have been eating and living all these years.

Yup. You got it.
Pass it at least twice a day.
Didn’t remember the mane.
Haven’t been in there but once.
With a “” maybe 16 years ago.
5-6 years ago the wife and I were in Gettysburg and saw a flyer about the place and how Dwight would go there so we drive up there. Stop at a BBQ place, it sucked, should have been a warning. Find the store and went in, what a junk collection. Not sure how the place wasn’t condemned.

5-6 years ago the wife and I were in Gettysburg and saw a flyer about the place and how Dwight would go there so we drive up there. Stop at a BBQ place, it sucked, should have been a warning. Find the store and went in, what a junk collection. Not sure how the place wasn’t condemned.
Yeah. It was punishment

View attachment 676348 Scrounge stacking done! This wood was cut and split last year and has been stacked on the fence line out in full sun and wind. It’s winter home is under the deck where I have tin overhead to keep it dry.View attachment 676349I even stacked some by the door next to the stove. Probably won’t have to carry any until December. I’ve been stressing about getting everything done even though there is lots of nice weather left. My wife and I after 25 years, are finally going on our honeymoon. Ireland for the first 2 weeks in October. So I can leave with a good conscience knowing that our winter heat is taken care of.
Jeff not sure if this will work for you but it's common practice in my house to have the porch stacked up to about the 8ft mark at the start of winter.
BTW I'm pretty sure Ireland in winter is not a tropical paradise, I can't personally confirm that though :eek:.

F2BD7A90-DBFE-433C-ACFB-A646774E5BFA.jpeg Went and cut those logs for the older guy down the road tonite. Wanted to give the 490 set up with that 3/8 lp a try to see how it performed. @James Miller i love that saw now, really impressed me. 4-5 dead ash and 3 cherry. Biggest ash was 16” and cherry was pushing 18”. Slight tune adjustment and that 490 was a different Saw with that 3/8 lp on it. Thanks.

I also had my first round I couldn't bust with DHT today. Didn't have my SS at home so I was using my hydraulic and ran into a triple fork elm round I couldn't pop. Broke my phone so no pics but I have split some nasty crap with that baby and it was the first one I ran into that wouldn't pop the way I wanted it to. Finished off my green house storage. Have about 6.5 cords in there. If it all pans out as tested I should have sugar maple at 13-16% dry in just a couple months. About 2.5 cords mixed to burn first and burn the sugar maple in the miserable months.

Jeff not sure if this will work for you but it's common practice in my house to have the porch stacked up to about the 8ft mark at the start of winter.
BTW I'm pretty sure Ireland in winter is not a tropical paradise, I can't personally confirm that though :eek:.
That stack will heat for two weeks in the middle of winter. Probably all of November. The rest is right underneath the deck a few steps away.
Won’t quite be winter in Ireland but we are prepared for whatever weather we get.

AA8A9C48-8A79-4880-B337-B20CE137F9B3.jpegThe fence line is empty but not for long as the cycle continues. 124E4B8F-5E7F-494A-A22F-063E090508D0.jpeg Pulled out the junkyard homelite to cut a pallet and played a bit with it while it was out. Cut a cookie and noodled a piece of manitoba maple. Bigger wood than the old 30cc gal should be in but it does cut. Good addition to the fleet for the price of a spark plug!

View attachment 676416The fence line is empty but not for long as the cycle continues. View attachment 676421 Pulled out the junkyard homelite to cut a pallet and played a bit with it while it was out. Cut a cookie and noodled a piece of manitoba maple. Bigger wood than the old 30cc gal should be in but it does cut. Good addition to the fleet for the price of a spark plug!
Nice to see one running good. Most have carb problems or need a duckbill in the oil line to stop oil from backing up into the crankcase.

View attachment 676416The fence line is empty but not for long as the cycle continues. View attachment 676421 Pulled out the junkyard homelite to cut a pallet and played a bit with it while it was out. Cut a cookie and noodled a piece of manitoba maple. Bigger wood than the old 30cc gal should be in but it does cut. Good addition to the fleet for the price of a spark plug!
Looks good.
Thats a great deal on the little homelite.
Well the neighbor be dropping any wood off this fall.

:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:
that guy probably runs 100:1 mix and used engine oil for bar oil.
That 359 I borrowed while Del had the 590 has run used motor oil for bar oil since day one. I'm surprised the oiler dint die after seeing real bar oil for a few days. I was happy to hear you say keep the 036 till your saw comes back.

Back